Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,287 times

Advertisements

There is potential I may be getting a job in Sanibel, FL very soon. I would be moving down there asap (upon offer) with my husband and 2 year old daughter. Can anyone suggest areas to live in that are safe, close to bridge, etc. for my family? Any areas to stay away from? Suggestions/tips for this cold weather family to come down there (we are beach people by nature so we're excited). My husband would have to find a job (industrial electrician). Also curious about how there's no state sales tax would affect my income.. Any tips, suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Well, for starters, it's not misspelled at the top of the forum. There is NOTHING more irritating than someone misspelling the simple name of our city. Otherwise, if you want to be close to the Sanibel bridge, you can look into the shell point area, or there are townhouses at healthpark off bass road that are all within 5 minutes of the bridge. Good luck on your husbands' job, there isn't much of anything happening here construction wise, he may get a job but probably won't make tons of hours. What and where is the job you are potentially moving for?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Thank you for the error and I sincerely apologize to the city of Fort MYERS.....I'm a bit skeptical now if this is the kind of attitude I would be welcomed with....a small, typing error. The job is in marketing, I'll leave it at that. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeegirl5 View Post
Thank you for the error and I sincerely apologize to the city of Fort MYERS.....I'm a bit skeptical now if this is the kind of attitude I would be welcomed with....a small, typing error. The job is in marketing, I'll leave it at that. Thanks.
Sorry about that Milwaukeegirl5, we too are from Wisconsin (Between Madison and Milwaukee) and feel your pain.

Don't worry about some of the posters here, there are many negetive people on this site and the last thing they want is us northerners coming down and competing for the jobs that are there. Hopefully some of the helpful posters will come on and answer your questions.

I have been to the area, but can't give you any good advise and I don't answer questions unless I know more about the area. Good luck and welcome to the forum Mr.Cool

Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Thanks mrcoolmrcool28, appreciate that. The potential place of employment is actually full of Milwaukeeans so I know I would be surrounded with "midwest love." Thanks for the support.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM

I'm sure we don't need anyone who cannot handle being corrected moving here either. I thought I was fairly polite about it, simply noting that you WILL get flack for it if you misspell it on every form you fill out when you move here. BTW, you're welcome for the rest of the information, the 'attitude' was on the house.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 PM

376 posts, read 1,809,681 times
There is a state sales tax (6%) but perhaps you mean no state income tax? Don't know how that would affect your income, you would best able to determine what % that is of your current income in the state where you live. I'm not a Lee County Resident so can't help you with housing inquiries, sorry. The cost of living is pretty high down here, you might want to check some of the sites that do cost of living comparisons to see what they can help you to determine re: salaries and income. Good luck with your job possibility.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM

455 posts, read 979,433 times
Quote:
There is potential I may be getting a job in Sanibel, FL very soon. I would be moving down there asap (upon offer) with my husband and 2 year old daughter. Can anyone suggest areas to live in that are safe, close to bridge, etc. for my family? Any areas to stay away from? Suggestions/tips for this cold weather family to come down there (we are beach people by nature so we're excited). My husband would have to find a job (industrial electrician). Also curious about how there's no state sales tax would affect my income.. Any tips, suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
I won't attempt to explain or apologize for the behavior of others, other than to say some have a reputation for being quite confrontational and others have self-serving motives behind their posts. Just keep that in mind and take their "opinions" with a grain of salt.

If you are planning on living on Sanibel, be aware that prices are quite steep there. It is a beautiful resort island and there really is NO bad part of town on the island. If you are planning on living on the Ft. Myers side of the bridge, you should factor tolls into expenses unless your employer will reimburse you for them (many on the island do). Keep in mind also that there are some rather sketchy areas along the way to Sanibel. Other members will be able to advise you where they are. A senior member here-JustNancy-would be the expert on the subject, having lived on Sanibel for many years.

You need to realize that we're really not known for manufacturing here in SWFL. The biggest obstacle to your move is likely to be hubby's inability to find work in the area. I won't profess to be the expert on the subject but, like the rest of the country, our economy has been hit hard...harder than most, due to our dependence on the "Housing Industry" and Tourism. Lee County's unemployment rate is currently at 13.8%. http://data.bls.gov/map/servlet/map....d=M12&state=12

Last edited by MrsTommy; 02-03-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,944 times
Quote:
Thanks mrcoolmrcool28, appreciate that. The potential place of employment is actually full of Milwaukeeans so I know I would be surrounded with "midwest love." Thanks for the support.
Ahh, working with a bunch of sconnies, how great would that be? Good luck!!

Maybe I should be working there as well Mr.Cool

Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM

So a whole business full of poor drivers? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area