Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
kar

179 posts, read 754,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANATIVE1 View Post
Ft. Myers is getting younger! The median age of Ft. Myers is 32. Also, Lee County led the state in student enrollment growth. Lee County is getting very popular with families. Ft. Myers was rated the fittest city in the South a couple years ago so if you like to excercise and hit the gym, you will fit right in. We have many natural food stores so you should have no trouble there. The only problem I see you running into is the fact that SW Fla. is traditionally very Conservative. However, it is getting more liberal with the influx of younger residents. Also, on a side note, I see a couple posts that mention Ft. Myers being over-run by retirees. Well, as somebody who worked in a restaurant that saw its fair share of old people, I can say that Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona are turning into the new hot spot for retirees. Its much cheaper and they don't have to worry about hurricanes. I would say Ft. Myers would be better, but thats just my opinion.
Fort Myers as well as with the rest of SW Florida is a cultural waste land. We lived in Fort Myers for twelve years. Unless all you want to do eat and go shopping you might be happy. All of our neighbors on our street moved as well to other parts of the country. Florida is a very transient state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 12:14 PM

172 posts, read 857,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar View Post
Fort Myers as well as with the rest of SW Florida is a cultural waste land. We lived in Fort Myers for twelve years. Unless all you want to do eat and go shopping you might be happy. All of our neighbors on our street moved as well to other parts of the country. Florida is a very transient state.

on point lol, that pretty much sums up all the activities here.

not that the food or shopping in the area is really all that good anyway.

it seems like every strip mall has the same 7 or 8 big box stores and chain restaurants in it. no real mom and pop stores in the area.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
Default i used to live in Ft. Myers

I used to l ive in FT. Myers and we moved due to the HUGE influx of illegals and rude people! WE also moved because we have a child and that area is NOT the best place to raise a child. Half the pop is illegal and does not speak English and the other is retirees, though they can be soo darn nice to kids! There is no Chuck E. Cheese or even anything for kids to do. A lot of kids end up doing drugs or whatever because there is nothing for pre teens or teens! The beach is besutiful, but takes 1 hour to get there due to traffic and all that. I hope you go to Texas, bacsue FT. Myers does have a few good points, but Texas is my recommendation!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 37,867 times
thanks for your candid advise! i appreciate it more than you realize.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
Default Florida

best of Luck to you and your family! Baton Rouge is nice too!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,068 times
I am from Northern VA but grew up in Ft. Myers, FL. This tiny city is the "Old South" w/ the good ol' boy network and all (Old Money). Crime and drugs are out of control not to mention the school system is less than par. You also have narrow minded people. Not many parks, no culture and being a vegetarian will be difficult because I don't know where you would shop for food. The closest Whole Foods is in Naples or Sarasota. I would probably stay were you are if you can. Cost of living is outrageous and it's not worth it. This is not a place for liberal people it's very Republican! I would never live there ever again, the place is a black hole.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Public Transportation in the Cape or Ft Myersisn't totally awful, its just awful. Unfortunately, Leetrans has announced budget cut backs which will make it totally awful. As far as walking through the downtown area, there's still a little life left in Ft Myers but Cape Coral... well, they don't call it Caper Coma for nothing... this is truly heaven's waiting room.
Overall, this area has take a serious economic hit in the past 2 years... the good news, you can get land in cape coal fairly cheap again.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM

11 posts, read 69,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar View Post
Florida is a very transient state.
So true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area