Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM

61 posts, read 398,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Thanks for sharing! Also, according to Wikipedia, Fort Wayne is widely recognized as the final resting place of folklore legend Johnny Appleseed. I'm not sure if that's common knowledge but I never knew that until I looked it up.
The baseball team is the TinCaps. Johnny Appleseed is the mascot/logo..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM

202 posts, read 763,108 times
One legend I always heard in high school was Devil's Hollow, about the abandoned building around the Devil's Hollow housing development was the home of a woman who was burned alive and her spirit haunts the place. It is a pretty spooky drive at nighttime.

Also, there are something like 5 cities that claim to have the grave of Johnny Appleseed. I know the historians from the genealogy center at the library did research and while they don't know if he is buried where in the park, they believe he probably died in the north side of town, most likely around where Canterbury Green apartments are, and since it was customary at the time to bury those, especially those with little money, close to where he died, he is more than likely buried near that area. But it is not out of the realm of possibility he is buried at Johnny Appleseed Park.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM

92 posts, read 445,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I attended elementary school in Ft. Wayne. Legend was that a tornado could never touch down in Ft.Wayne because of the three rivers. Apparently it was an old indian legend.

When we practiced tornado drills in school my third grade teacher would say, "We know there can't be a tornado here, but the state says we have to do this mandatory tornado drill anyway."
Yeah, right!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Fact that I've found many younger people even in Fort Wayne don't know. The Detroit Pistons started life in Fort Wayne as the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons in the 1940s and 50s before moving to Detroit. They even reached the NBA Finals in 1955. Of course, back then, the young NBA also had teams in the Quad Cities and Rochester, New York, both of which also moved on to bigger cities.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Default tornado's in Fort Wayne

Quote:
I attended elementary school in Ft. Wayne. Legend was that a tornado could never touch down in Ft.Wayne because of the three rivers. Apparently it was an old indian legend.

When we practiced tornado drills in school my third grade teacher would say, "We know there can't be a tornado here, but the state says we have to do this mandatory tornado drill anyway."
I heard and then read the same myth/legend. It's actually a concept not unique to this area, but a more general Native American concept that was shared with a lot of settlers all over the US.

Interesting links on the topic:
Tornado Tales » Front page stories » Farm Talk

Myths and Misconceptions about Tornadoes

Top Things You Probably Didn't Know About Tornadoes

All that said - in the 10+ years I've been in Fort Wayne, we've had a few tornado warnings and watches, but having lived all over the US, I still feel very safe here, safer than I did when I lived in Tornado Alley (Oklahoma), and safer than parts of the US routinely hit by blizzards and hurricanes.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I heard and then read the same myth/legend. It's actually a concept not unique to this area, but a more general Native American concept that was shared with a lot of settlers all over the US.

Interesting links on the topic:
Tornado Tales » Front page stories » Farm Talk

Myths and Misconceptions about Tornadoes

Top Things You Probably Didn't Know About Tornadoes

All that said - in the 10+ years I've been in Fort Wayne, we've had a few tornado warnings and watches, but having lived all over the US, I still feel very safe here, safer than I did when I lived in Tornado Alley (Oklahoma), and safer than parts of the US routinely hit by blizzards and hurricanes.
All the links were interesting! I remember hearing that two windows on the opposite side of the house should be opened if a tornado was approaching.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Fact that I've found many younger people even in Fort Wayne don't know. The Detroit Pistons started life in Fort Wayne as the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons in the 1940s and 50s before moving to Detroit. They even reached the NBA Finals in 1955. Of course, back then, the young NBA also had teams in the Quad Cities and Rochester, New York, both of which also moved on to bigger cities.
Even fewer know that the NBA was cooked up in Fred Zollner's kitchen in Ft. Wayne:

Quote:
Zollner brought together leaders of the NBL and the BAA to meet at his house in 1949. Sitting around his kitchen table, they agreed to merge, forming the NBA.

Fred Zollner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,494 times
Quote:

Pittsburgh also has three rivers and got hit by a large tornado within the past 10 years.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I can say I don't think I've lived somewhere that had strip clubs so prominently on all the main drags in town. Again, that's just something I've heard, no idea if it's true or not.
Hi, I grew up in the 80's and 90's back in the 80's our elementary school took us on tours of all of the church's. We we're told Fort Wayne was known at that time and before as the city of churches. Now I do believe our city has a strange combination of churches, liquor stores, strip clubs, and gas stations with a lot of fast food stores thrown in for good measure. From what I heard from my mother who was born in1942 Fort Wayne was a beautiful place, if you want my opinion now that they are going to put businessesby the rivers like the old days they should bring back the river boats and old trains let people see the scenic beauty that our beautiful city and state have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne