Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 PM

23 posts, read 123,410 times

Advertisements

If I had to live near Ft. Wayne, I would choose Huntington IN (hometown of Dan Qualye) which I think is one of the cutest small towns in the whole state. Beautiful drive to get there down Rt. 5 coming north from Rt. 30. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 01:23 PM

95 posts, read 456,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetardnas1885 View Post
We are looking to move (hopefully before this Christmas) to a new place. We are looking at poss. moving to the Ft. Wayne, Indiana area. We are looking for a smaller town with a home town feel of sorts. We don't want anything too terribly small. We'd like to be within 20-30 minutes of a WalMart. We need a dog friendly/family friendly town. We are also looking for atleast 5 acres to build a home on or such land with a nice pre-existing home (we have Siberian Huskies who need room to run). Can anyone give me any info on any towns that may fit the bill.

Also if anyone has any info on gas prices, grocery prices, property taxes, any type of animal related taxes, job market, housing market, vet clinics in such areas...etc; I'd love to have this info too!

Let the knowledge flow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
From our site, here are some small towns near Fort Wayne:

Nearest cities: New Haven, IN (7.3 miles ), Huntertown, IN (10.7 miles ), Leo-Cedarville, IN (12.1 miles ), Ossian, IN (14.0 miles ), Grabill, IN (14.2 miles ), Zanesville, IN (15.5 miles ), Churubusco, IN (17.0 miles ), Garrett, IN (18.6 miles ).
Well domer hit the nail on the head with the surrounding cities.

Gas prices fluctuate as they do anywhere else, and up here they're hovering around the 2.95 mark in New Haven.

New Haven is a town of about 12k people, fairly small downtown with railroad tracks through town. Plenty of open land on the south side, with subdivisions going up off landin road to the north (Landin is closed for right now I think they're widening the bridge over the creek).

A short trip north to IN37 in Ft Wayne off I469 will net you a Meijer, Walmart, Menards, steak n shake, and various stores in various strip malls. I just went up there today, it's maybe 20 minutes at 74 mph.

If you want to stay close to fort wayne then New haven, Huntertown, Leo-Cedarville are your best bets. I know a lot of about New haven because I grew up and have just bought a house in the city.

Grocery prices, well everythings always on sale at either Scott's or Krogers. (Kroger just bought out the Scotts chain, all 28 stores).

Property taxes inside new haven will range depending on your mortgage, mine are fairly expensive because of the dumbass (sorry for cursing) administration and mayor we have here right now.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 16,995 times
Well, I just relocated here from Kalamazoo, Michigan. My DH and I moved to Garrett, and I've got to say that we love it! He actually works in Auburn, across I-69. Our location puts us within 20 minutes, a little longer if going deeper into FW, of anything we could need that's not here. We're only 5 minutes from Walmart. The city of Garrett has a population of under 6,000 and it's fairly quiet, at least in our neighborhood. The cost of housing seems to be much lower than in Kalamazoo, but we're renting for now. The town pretty much closes at 9 p.m. but again, we're close enough to everything else it doesn't matter much.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 28,519 times
I suggest Garrett. I've lived here now for about 3 years. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Garrett is a small, layed back town. It has a 4 star school,3 gas stations, a vet's office, a grocery store, a dollar store, a movie gallery, a car wash, a pizza place, a couple of restaurants and banks, 2 car sales places, a city pool, some nice parks, a hardware store, a tattoo shop, a post office, a movie theatre, a dentist, tan and hair places, and a laundromat. It is a bout 10 minutes from a Wal-Mart (in Auburn). It is about 30-40 minutes from a mall (in Fort Wayne). Sorry don't really know the prices of things, I don't pay the bills.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 AM

69 posts, read 313,152 times
Don't know if you figured anything out yet, but I used to live in the Fort Wayne area. My parents worked at the GM plant in Fort Wayne and we lived in Bluffton for a while and then moved to North Manchester which both are in Wells county. They are both nice little towns.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
As a graduate of Manchester College in North Funchester, I can assure you that North Manchester is in fact, in Wabash County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne