Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering relocating with his company to the Bridgeport area NW of Fort Worth. I don't know alot about the area, but we are wanting somewhere with a smaller town feel, with good schools. I have 2 elementary aged children, so the schools and neighborhoods are most important to me. I was looking into the Azle, Springtown area, but have heard bad things about the schools.

I would really like to hear from anyone about any neighborhoods around these areas. I would even consider the Decatur area. My husband has said he is willing to drive 30-40 miles to go to work in Bridgeport if he has to so that we can live in a good area for the kids.

I appreciate any information that anyone can give me! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Although there is a web sste for TX school scores, you can also check on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link). They compare schools within a state to one another, with info on % ethnicities, % on free lunch, % making passing scores on standard tests, etc.

You will need to understand Texas' system of ISDs to know what district tom check, as school boundaries do not always follow city boundaries.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
you might consider living close enough/in the district for Denton--Denton to Bridgeport is about a 40 min trip one way and a pretty straight shot depending on where you start/end up

that is a decent district and because of the nature of the area it is fairly wide spread beyond the city limits I think--
although there are small towns with their own ISDs in that area

Education Service Center Region XI | Public Schools (http://www.esc11.net/8234398102229/site/default.asp - broken link)
that link connects to map of all public ISDs in Region 11
and it includes Bridgeport ISD which was rated Acceptable in 2009--
our state rankings for schools and ISDs are Exemplary, Recognized, Acceptable, Unacceptable--top/bottom
there can be lot of poverty in the rural areas--and because it is spread out it is often not really considered a factor like it is in larger cities
hit or miss jobs, single parents, people living paycheck to paycheck even if they might be more anglo than ethnic--and lower socioeconomic factors are always a drain on education--

this link can take you to a map of texas--put in the school district name and get the 2009 state rating for the district--the ones for last year go on-line july 30
School District Locator

Paradise High School/ISD did well at UIL competition --that is really small district--only 1 school in each grouping--high school graduated 67 seniors--
Paradise High School, Paradise, Texas

and Decatur's web site says it is starting an Technology Initiative--and issued students laptops...

Decatur Independent School District
and has a Facebook page...

Boyd ISD states it is Recognized District in 09 on its front page
Boyd Independent School District
and it is smaller than Paradise or Decatur

while they are called towns--some of them can be pretty spread out and not really have a large city center--
you rarely get the same type of parks and public recreation offerings--and often there are limited facilities for youth sports at competitive level...just depends on the population--
Decatur is the largest of those three...

you can get demographic info from the other side of City Data
Boyd, Texas: Welcome
couldn't find a city web site for Paradise
City of Decatur, TX
Decatur is good bit larger it seems--has more parks than Boyd--and has a regional hospital--that would be important to me...I think Decatur might be county seat--if so that is one reason for it too be a good big larger
also at intersection of two main roads in the area
lots of people moving out that way...
there is quite a bit of newer construction--some of it pretty nice and "upscale"--on larger lots--
partly that is to help cut down on fire damage--since most areas have to use pumper trucks and there can be problems with grass fires when there is drought--but also because lot of people like the bigger lots--more privacy--they can often keep a horse or just like the privacy...

Just remember it IS a BUYER'S market--especially in that area--so make sure you don't overpay for what you want...

PS Rhome is town about 30 min from Bridgeport on 114--it has homes in the Northwest ISD --which gets pretty good commentary--and it is closer to better shopping areas--
you might check it out
will PM an MLS site that does some of the towns in that area--but not Decatur or Bridgeport--different county
Rhome is in Tarrant county

Last edited by loves2read; 07-13-2010 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
I have a friend who lives in Paradise and they are happy with the schools. They grew up in Keller and choose to live in Paradise verses Decatur due to schools. (just 2nd hand info so take it with a grain of salt)

Denton has pretty strong schools.

You can also live out near Rhome/Justin and be in NWISD which has pretty strong schools.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
One of our friends has a daughter in the Boyd ISD and has been very happy. Small class sizes, friendly teachers, etc.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 23,212 times
I live in the Haslet area in a growing neighborhood that has an elementary school within walking distance of most of the houses. We bought one of few houses on a green belt, so there will never be any development behind us. IN the 4 years that we have lived in Haslet, it has grown alot--it has very low crime, it is a very samal city, but only about 10 miles away from Fort Worth. Moderator cut: not allowed . Haslet is about 10-12 miles from thr Azle/Lakeworth area.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-18-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM

150 posts, read 418,597 times
Saginaw, Haslet, and Justin are the towns that come to mind around here with modern conveniences within driving distances. Depending on just how small you want your town, you could go further out and have homes on acreage and towns with one stop light Good schools, good people, low crime. Those are the 3 towns we focused on, when we were house hunting and loved them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth