Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:45 PM

35 posts, read 129,330 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility I might be moving to Fort Worth for a job.

1. Is Fort Worth gay-friendly?

2. What areas are suitable to live in (including nearby suburbs)

3. Would it be better to live in Fort Worth, or Arlington, because of the gay-friendliness (so I would be closer to Dallas?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,931 times
Hmmm . . . the Dallas-Fort Worth area is considered to be part of the "Bible-Belt" region of the south, so both major metropolitan areas have significant populations of definite opinion on private lifestyles. . . I really can't say whether there's a big difference in 'friendliness' of Arlington vs. Ft.Worth or not . . . Tough question . . . My guess would be Arlington, but it is strictly a guess. Nothing more. Sorry. I lived in the DFW area for 16+ years, but don't have a finite answer for you. Hopefully there's some better answers to be posted here soon . . . . Good luck in your Texas move.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:07 PM

184 posts, read 863,135 times
Can you be more specific when you ask "Is Fort Worth gay-friendly?"
Are you asking about people's personal opinions towards gay people in Forth Worth?
Are you asking if there is a gay community here?
Are you asking if there are gay nightclubs etc.?
Are you wondering if it's safe for gays?
Are you asking if there are gay-pride parades thru downtown Fort Worth?
Are you asking if there are neighborhoods or communties that are gay?
One observation from a newer resident who is a straight married mother of two is that Fort Worth is very family friendly and very tourist friendly as it has alot of tourist. Perhaps others can weigh in on this issue and be helpful. I personally haven't observed anything that is billed as "gay" or to any other specific group for that matter but I've only lived here for about five months.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 42,868 times
Not much of a bar scene in Fort Worth. Many gay people live in Fort Worth and are very much a part of the community. Great city for all people.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:12 AM

35 posts, read 129,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debntx View Post
Can you be more specific when you ask "Is Fort Worth gay-friendly?"
Are you asking about people's personal opinions towards gay people in Forth Worth?
Are you asking if there is a gay community here?
Are you asking if there are gay nightclubs etc.?
Are you wondering if it's safe for gays?
Are you asking if there are gay-pride parades thru downtown Fort Worth?
Are you asking if there are neighborhoods or communties that are gay?
One observation from a newer resident who is a straight married mother of two is that Fort Worth is very family friendly and very tourist friendly as it has alot of tourist. Perhaps others can weigh in on this issue and be helpful. I personally haven't observed anything that is billed as "gay" or to any other specific group for that matter but I've only lived here for about five months.
God....sorry I asked!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 22,506 times
I live in Dallas but I grew up in FW and spent 30 years there. Great city, quiet and ..slow. I know about "gay freindly" because my brother (who now lives in AZ) is Gay so I am not just posting words without first hand knowledge..lol

FW is referred to as East side, South side, West side and North side. East and South Dallas tend to more African American, which is not bad, but they are in the lower ends of FW (some nicer areas but you have to look for them. North Side is where the Stockyards are and tend to be more Hispanic but the farther down I35 and 820 heading north it gets into the North Richland Hills area and the neighborhoods pick up. The West side (where I grew up) is very easy going. More so caucasion than anything, mostly older "money" I guess...but with every city, the population is going to be more one sided as to race, you just have to look around.

More "Gay friendly" in FW, I would say would be more so the West side, Downtown, SW FW around the Hulen area near TCU, around the Camp Bowie area near Ridglea/Westover Hills area is also a good.

Honestly, the Oaklawn area in Dallas (Cedar Springs) is the best place to be "gay freindly"...it is STRICTLY Gay oriented, but Non-Gay have no problem with it because after all, it is 90% which is where most of the Gay from FW have come because it IS so gay oriented.

People in FW look at the homosexual like they are aliens, they accept it but not all do and for the most part there isnt any real problems, except for the "cowboy attitude" who cant, and those are the ones to be aware of. Dallas is much more gay freindly. There are more non-gay people that hang out in the gay bars than those actually gay! Really cool places too.

As far as the bar scene? FW really sux for nightlife. Downtown as picked up in the past few years. The Northside (stockyards) has always been the hot spot, but you have to wear your boots for sure..lol The westside (TCU/Hulen area) has alot going on mainly because its where the college is. But no matter, FW's nightlife fizzles around mindnight and the town is asleep by 2....seriously!

I know FW like the back of my hand. I would drive to Dallas from the time I was 17 for the night life up until I moved here, so every surrounding city from FW to Dallas I have become quite familure with...so if you need anything regarding information...gimmeaholla...

Old 07-29-2007, 11:46 PM

184 posts, read 863,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT205 View Post
God....sorry I asked!
Wow. Sorry I answered. But I was really trying to be helpful and thought as a newer resident my impression might help your decision.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
I've got 3 gay cousins (2 brothers and their sister) that ended up in Dallas (not Fort Worth). I don't know if that says anything about Dallas being more gay-friendly than Fort Worth or not.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT205 View Post
God....sorry I asked!
What an odd response. I think the poster was honestly trying to understand what you meant. Oh well. I'm not gay but in my business I work with many gay men (we have interior designers who work with us on commercial projects - a cliche, I know, but often true) and most tend to live in Dallas - where the clubs, etc. are. Many say that there's nothing to do in FW and that's why they live in Dallas. Others who live in FW say they drive to Dallas when they want to go out. It makes me think that, when it comes to hanging out with a gay crowd or going to a gay bar, Dallas has the best places. I know a few older gay men, however, who love living in FW and are well-connected there.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 18,806 times
Default i gotta ask

Irishwop,

What high school did you go to? As you know, by that I know where in Ft. Worth you actually grew up..

I went to Western Hills..

I agree with all you have said about the night-life in Ft. Worth. I know there used to be a gay bar in a scary neighborhood somewhere near the hospital district?

If I have to go to a bar, Cedar Springs in Dallas is the best around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth