Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,346 times

Advertisements

This post is for parents and others who have children in this school district. I have had many problems during my children's years in public school. I have a 9 year old, an 11 year old and a 12 year old. The 11 year old's homeschool is Meadowbrook Middle. The school has not had an acceptable state accountability rating for 5 or 6 consecutive years. When my child was there he complained of teachers making racial comments, a teacher hit him and kids bullied him. I talked to principal many times. He did a half as44d investigation and nothing was done to my knowledge. I requested that my child be put in another class. Well, it also seems as if one of his math teachers thought it was okay to play rap music in the classroom. I listen to it but, even I know the lyrics of some songs are too offensive to be played at a school. I have even had my child come home and tell me that his teachers blamed the students for their failing ratings. I am a very involved in my children's education and I make it a habit to call their teachers, principals, etc. and check up on them periodically. While this child has faults, I have not received any infractions for his behavior. I always talk to him and discipline accordingly when he messes up and I have in fact had some of his teachers at his former school come up to me and compliment him on being a respectful student, so I don't think the main problem lies with him. Needless to say, he no longer attends that school. Now that he is in another, I am told that he can be sent back to the homeschool if he continues to report incidences to the principal. This is without the principal placing him on a probationary contract which is something I have heard happens from the principal at the former school. It sounds to me that if my child is labeled "a problem" for any little reason then he will have to go back to a failing school. I am a single, low income parent. Is this the best the district offers in this area? I seriously wonder why this school is still open. At the new school I run into a similar situation where the principal seems unwilling to discipline the kids when they get out of line. I have tried to meet with him and he has told me that he feels that he is being unfairly scrutinized and that he does not think the meeting will accomplish anything. As he explained to me his job was not to administer discipline. Mind you this school is not exactly exemplary itself. It seems to teeter between acceptable and unacceptable. I cannot believe that school leaders are allowed to get away with this type of behavior and avoid meeting with the parents. I actually had to detail my reasons for wanting to have an in person conference with him to which he reluctantly agreed. I have even called the administration building. It is almost like you become blacklisted and made to feel as if your are becoming a bother to them. They are of little help and often refer you back to the principal. I was wondering if any other parents have horror stories about fwisd? What in your opinion are some of the better schools as far as academics and leadership? I have signed my children up for the programs of choice next school year so I am hoping that they can concentrate on learning and have a better school experience. I would rather have my kids get bussed across town than to have to continue attending schools where the staff seems more concerned with keeping a paycheck rather than helping the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:31 AM

446 posts, read 649,397 times
I happen to be a product of Fort Worth ISD. Morningside Elementary, McLean Middle, and Paschal High. I learned a lot, but the experiences from bullying and staff apathy jacked me up more than a redneck's truck.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Sadly, this seems pretty typical of a large, urban school district. That is why most parents who are concerned about their kids' education head to the suburbs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth