Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:04 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times

Advertisements

Channel 5 leaving its station in East Fort Worth. If the station leaves Fort Worth all together I want be tuning in. The bright side is Channel 11 is still located on the big hill in East Fort Worth.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/27/3110146/channel-5-leaving-broadcast-hill.html#storylink=omni_popular (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
I think that area is pretty iffy -- wonder if they have had security issues---and I bet it is big hassle to drive there for many of their employees who probably live in Dallas

Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Tell them to move Downtown.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 AM

277 posts, read 696,909 times
I've heard they are moving to CentrePort Business Park just south of D/FW next to American Airlines... technically still within Fort Worth city limits and on Amon Carter Boulevard... kinda fitting since he started channel 5 to begin with.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
that is easier to reach than the current location
think someone probably wants to develop their location into something more high dollar--
maybe mixed retail--
for FTW it is good location to downtown

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
The land they are on is a great location. It's a fairly secure entrance since it's a longer winding road to get to the building. They are on a higher elevation which I imagine helps with their signals and such.

However their building is quite old and throwing more and more money in it for improvements has got to be a big factor. The building isn't very large when you consider what all goes on there and it's probably come to the point where building new would be more cost effective than continuing to make changes there.

Of course, they mention in the article they want to be more centrally located and that means they need to move closer to Dallas, but not IN Dallas.

I like the character of the building they are in and hope they are somehow able to re-purpose it instead of it being torn down.....

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM

277 posts, read 696,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
The land they are on is a great location. It's a fairly secure entrance since it's a longer winding road to get to the building. They are on a higher elevation which I imagine helps with their signals and such.

However their building is quite old and throwing more and more money in it for improvements has got to be a big factor. The building isn't very large when you consider what all goes on there and it's probably come to the point where building new would be more cost effective than continuing to make changes there.

Of course, they mention in the article they want to be more centrally located and that means they need to move closer to Dallas, but not IN Dallas.

I like the character of the building they are in and hope they are somehow able to re-purpose it instead of it being torn down.....
Since they were the first TV station in the Southwest the building would have most likely been converted into an elementary school because people thought that the "television fad" wouldn't last. How long has it been since we had to switch over to HD? I know that NBC5 did a million dollar+ retrofit on the existing building.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjeff View Post
Since they were the first TV station in the Southwest the building would have most likely been converted into an elementary school because people thought that the "television fad" wouldn't last. How long has it been since we had to switch over to HD? I know that NBC5 did a million dollar+ retrofit on the existing building.
It's been a couple of years I think now...they also just recently launched another digital station on 5-2 OTA. I think it's called Non Stop Nightly? It's not on UVerse yet, but I do have an HDTV where I can switch it off UVerse and see that station. I didn't watch it for long, but if they get on UVerse, I might be more inclined to catch it.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
that is easier to reach than the current location
think someone probably wants to develop their location into something more high dollar--
maybe mixed retail--
for FTW it is good location to downtown

They need to destroy all the apartments in Woodhaven and build some high dollar condos. That area has some really big hills and developers would be more than willing to redo the entire area. Fort Worth needs to start thinking big and improving infrastructure and density.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Tell them to move Downtown.
Or West 7th...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: