Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
UT Dallas is in Richardson. Nothing in Tarrant County is "convenient" to it. Could your husband get excited about UT Arlington? What is he going to study?

As others have said, new construction under $200k is pretty hard to come by other than way out in Saginaw, North Fort Worth, and Keller. But $200k will get you a nice older home in many cities in NE Tarrant, but not in Coppell.
He'll be working on his bachelor's degree in software programing and is also looking to get his MBA afterwards. UTD has this program called the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship that he really wanted to join. But I just don't think that is possible, especially since he told me today that he doesn't want a long commute either. I think he's coming to terms with the fact that UT Arlington is his only real option.

How bad is the commute from Keller to downtown Forth Worth and UT Arlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Keller is going to be cutting it close both ways. Honestly, if he were going to UTA, I would look around Hurst-Euless-Bedford. New construction is going to be harder to come by in Bedford, but Hurst and Euless still have some and you'll shave off half of your commute.

While it's not an exemplary district, and I'm not sure if any Tarrant County district is, H-E-B does have some exemplary schools. Both high schools were among the first in North Texas to offer the IB program (if you end up staying here to see your kid all the way through high school).

The International Baccalaureate offers high quality programmes of international education to a worldwide community of schools

Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
the IB program at Bell has one of the highest graduation rates of ANY IB school--period--including those in other parts of the US or the world--

there is one part of Colleyville that feeds into Bell HS--not new but good neighborhood (Tara Plantation)
which is "reasonable" for Colleyville because of the HEB ISD zoning--most people paying Colleyville taxes want GCISD schools

UNT is supposed to have good computer program as well--as he checked there?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 21,276 times
Question Commute from Grapevine to UTA???

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
understand that when you say you want an "exemplary" rated district--
Grapevine Colleyville is not rated that high--
Southlake Carroll MIGHT be and I have not seen its rating for the 2010-11 school year

and from what I have been reading I think GCISD is going through some machinations to prepare for the budget shortfall from the state's belt-tightening
one of the assistant supers left to take job in Dallas county this past week--her job would have been cut or salary significantly reduced to cope with reduced funding

1500 a mo will limit your housing choices--most of the nicer areas will have 2K for 3/2 house
and you won't find NEW construction in Grapevine for 200K or anyplace close to FTW except maybe the north side of FTW around Haslet
Trophy Club is going to be higher than your budget--as one person recommended--there is probably nothing there at 200K--250 likely to get you something older/dated

check realtor.com for rentals after you check a map for area towns
top rated districts by TAKS scores and general public opinion
Southlake Carroll--but over your budget
Coppell is strong district but your one-way commute would be 40 min at least and probably close to 60 with traffic problems
Lewisville ISD--big area--good schools for the most part but traffic again a problem for FTW commute
Grapevine-Colleyville (Grapevine area/north Euless but budget will be tight)

tied--Birdville, HEB ISD, Keller
these are better for you--worse for your husband because they are closer to FTW

Arlington ISD/Manfield ISD--think the MidCities are definitely stronger

we live in north Hurst--my husband drives in to Sundance Sq every day--takes him about 20 min in AM and 25-30 in evening--traffic coming home is worse
the further east you would be the longer the commute needless to say
the 114 and 121freeways in Grapevine area are really messed up and using them to get to Airport Frwy into FTW will add more than normal time to a commute Grapevine area

635 Loop in N Dallas is crazy as well--traffic through there is always bad during rush hour and lately it is that much worse
Hi, I'm wondering if I could get your opinion on something...my family (me, husband, and 5-yr old) are moving to the DFW area at the end of July. We're coming so that I can work on a PhD at UTA. Priorities are safety and a really good elementary school. I've been looking at the Keller area and I posted a question concerning the commute from Keller to UTA a couple of weeks ago. Most said it would take 45 min - 1 hr. While I'd like a shorter commute, I'm used to 45 minutes (doing it already where we currently live) and I do it for the same reasons...to be in a safe area and for good schools.

We have also started looking in Grapevine. What do you think that commute would be like? We called about a house for lease in the Dove Elem. school zone yesterday. They aren't taking pets, so it's not an option for us. But IYO, is it worth it for us to keep looking in Grapevine? Is it safe (it seems pretty safe from the crime statistics I studied)? How bad would the commute be with the road construction you mentioned it your post above? Thank you in advance for any input.

P.S. We're also looking in the northern sections of NRH, Hurst, Bedford, and Euless now since you mentioned those areas in one of your replies to my previous questions. We realize they're not less expensive areas, but figure we're more likely to find something (trying to lease now) if we keep our search broad instead of zeroing in only on Keller and neighboring 76244 area. Any thoughts on how these areas (northern sections of mid-cities) compare to 76244 zip (Heritage, VOWS, etc.) in terms of safety? It's been really difficult to find reliable, accurate crime stats on 76244, I guess b/c it's a new zip.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
most of the crime that will show up in the Mid Cities areas would not be "violent" crime--as in murder or bad assaults but more in line of burglaries/thefts, car vandalism--
I lived in Bedford for over 25 yrs and thought it was very safe for the most part--the area where there is high concentration of apartments are the ones usually drawing the most crime reports

north of 183 is generally considered better but there are nice areas in Bedford south of 183--
Hurst and Euless probably also have some fairly safe areas but the homes are generally older and smaller--

frankly I would not be looking in Keller if I were going to be spending lots of time driving to UTA--
but that is just me
every person has individual issues that drive that person/family's choices

Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
[quote=infogather22;19684375]Hi, I'm wondering if I could get your opinion on something...my family (me, husband, and 5-yr old) are moving to the DFW area at the end of July. We're coming so that I can work on a PhD at UTA. Priorities are safety and a really good elementary school.

Why don't you lease something in North Arlington, zip 76012 in the Butler Elementary School area for your son, then its 5 min to campus.

Butler Elementary School - Arlington, Texas - TX - School overview

Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infogather22 View Post
We have also started looking in Grapevine. What do you think that commute would be like? We called about a house for lease in the Dove Elem. school zone yesterday. They aren't taking pets, so it's not an option for us. But IYO, is it worth it for us to keep looking in Grapevine? Is it safe (it seems pretty safe from the crime statistics I studied)? How bad would the commute be with the road construction you mentioned it your post above? Thank you in advance for any input.
Grapevine to UTA is about 30 minutes. If you get in the southern part of Grapevine, you can take 121 to 157(Industrial/Collins/Cooper) and it's a very direct route. It is MUCH closer than Keller!

My husband and I have lived in Grapevine for 8 years. It is VERY safe! The worst thing that has happened was our trash can getting stolen off the curb! GPD does an excellent job doing community outreach and keeping violent crime out of the city. We have excellent city services, schools, and the property taxes are among the lowest in Tarrant County.

Keep looking for a rental. DM me and I can send you the name of an agency that we rented from for several years. They are very good landlords.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
200k will NOT get you new construction Keller.
You can get that in NWFTW and Keller schools but not city of Keller.
New construction in the city limits Marshall Ridge a few at 200k most are +250-500k. Bourland Oaks..500k-700k, Johnson Pl (southlake but keller schools) 500k+ Cobblestone parks 500-700k

Seriously if your job is downtown Ft Worth...have your husband research UTA!

Grapevine would be a good 1/2 for both. HEB would be worth looking into as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth