Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember this thread from 3 years ago, where I made some Sketch Up models of skyscraper ideas I had for this city.

Just for kicks, I decided to remodel a few of them... you know because some ideas don't stay the same for ever.

Block TU
Height: (old) 991ft. / (new) 900ft.
Floors: 61
Site: E. 9th/Calhoun/E. 8th/Jones
Type: Mixed-use
Groundfloor: Retail

I'm starting with the Block TU because I wanted to change this one the most.

Height Comparison

Old design
- Garage: about 20 floors, more walls
- Ground floor: Retail facing Jones and Calhoun, car entrances facing 8th and 9th.
- Design: Split level, residences on bottom, offices on top. "Shade design" in wings.Multi-symmetrical.
- Orientation: nothing specific

New design
- Garage: 15 floors, more open/windows
- Ground floor: Car entrances facing Jones and Calhoun, retail facing 8th and 9th.
- Design: Even, residences in curved shape, offices are rectangular. "Shade design" for residences only. Only one line of symmetry.
- Orientation: Residences facing Sundance Square, rest of downtown. Offices facing the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Panther City Tower
Height: (old) 971/ (new) 1,096 ft.
Floors: (old) 56 / (New) 58
Site: Current AT&T Building
Type: Office
Groundfloor: Retail, Office, Public/Institutional

Old design
- Ground floor: Room for 4 big retail spaces
- Design: Basic, 3 section rectangular shape with cut-ins like the Empire State Building, top with spire and shorter pyramid below.
- Style: "Neo Deco"
- Facade Material: Stone, aluminum, black tinted windows/curtain walls

New design
- Ground floor: Room for 2 big retail spaces, 6 smaller spaces for anything else.
- Design: Even squared shape, 4 sections with cut-ins, more like a mix between the ESP and Atlanta's BoA Plaza, top with spire enclosed with mesh like restraints, and a thicker, taller pyramid. Also featuring archs for each major section of the building.
- Facade Material: Texas Pink Granite, aluminum, black tinted windows/curtain walls, steel pattern (for top)

Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 PM

114 posts, read 200,690 times
This looks way better ^~^

Last edited by Fort Worthian; 07-13-2012 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 AM

Teaser:

Old 07-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Exxon Fort Worth/XTO HQ
Height: (old) 887 ft./ (new) 921 ft.
Floors: 50
Site: Throckmorton/W. 7th St./Houston/6th
Type: Office
Groundfloor: Retail, Entertainment

This one is a bit more close to heart since I started with this AND, it angers me everyday to see the parking lot where the 50 story XTO building was supposed to stand. It's what made me want to start doing these.

Macy's facing Houston St.

Hard Rock Cafe of Fort Worth, corner of Throckmorton and W 7th.

Bubba Gump on the corner of Throckmorton and 6th.

spires and tops

Elevations

Old design
- Ground floor: 2-one story spaces for retail facing Throckmorton and Houston
- Design: Inspired by Evans Hall on the campus of Prairie View A&M and several art deco buildings.
- Facade Material: Red stone/clay, aluminum, black tinted curtain walls

New design
- Ground floor: 3-three story spaces for retail and/or renovation. (Houston space: 1, Throckmorton space: 2)
- Design: Same as above.
- Facade Material: Same as above, with white brick.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Um I liked the other two but maybe can you make a building not using the art stucco style in my opinion that makes newly built buildings look old even though there new :/ but I like the Shape of the building looks awesome

Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM

No, sorry.

I prefer to stick with the the usual style of the city (southwestern art deco) for those two. I will do other styles, but I'm not going a different direction with those two or the one I have next which will basically be an ode to the former Medical Arts Building.

I'm actually taking a bit of a "break" (maybe 3-4 days) but that's what I'm going with next.

Not against modern buildings, but there should be a balance and a flow to a skyline, ya know?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Um but I wouldn't like the cities skyline to look Old with new buildings sure it matches the city but common please try something more futuristic, I've seen a blog the XTO might make a 9-story building on a parking lot that will look futuristic not sure if it's real but Fort Worth should think of the Future Future and stop making those art stucco buildings too bad I don't live in Dubai the worlds fastest and literally most Futiristic city on Earth (-。-; *sigh I wish Fort Worth could at least add 1 futuristic building instead of those old horrible looking ones but you should search up Dubai that place literally blows your mind that's the only other city that would make me leave ft Worth and they have everything that's not imaginable it's like a dream :$

Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Dude, I'm an architect major. I know Dubai, Riyhad, Kuala Lampur, and nearly every Chinese city you can think of. There's a good chance I know more about them than you do. That 9 story building on the parking lot was supposed to be a 50 story building years ago when the Landmark Tower was imploded and that's where I got the idea.

Those buildings you're talking about, they are impressive.... some of them, but at the same time, very tacky and soulless. Having a bunch of "futuristic" skyscrapers doesn't make it a better skyline. Like I said, there has to be SOME balance to it, and just stamping nothing but ultra-modern buildings all over the place wouldn't work. See OKC. Personally, I'm GLAD Fort Worth doesn't look like Dubai.

BTW, it's called Art DECO, and I'd rather this city build in the likes of Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta..... hell, even Dallas.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Burnett Plaza teaser:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth