Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM

201 posts, read 860,988 times

Advertisements

LOL!!! There would be about at least 1 ice storm a year. In the 2 years I lived in Austin, there were 2 ice storms. It would get to about 20-30F and voila it would be all iced up because of the cold fronts from Canada. Basically, it was a city wide holiday as the people would be too scared to drive, go to work, etc. The next day, you see cars abandoned by the freeway for the owners were too freaked out or because they crashed into someone else. This car abandonment phenomena was new to CA folks like me for you get your car towed if you do that in CA Towed if you're lucky, stripped down if you're not is what would happen.

What was way alarming to me were the sudden thunderstorms and hailstorms. Freaked my doggies out a lot. I remember driving one day while it was raining and had the radio on and they said it was hailing big time about 4-5 miles away and was coming toward me. I was really alarmed because I've seen many cars with pock marks all over them from hailstorms. They look like they've just had a bad bout of chicken pox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etexbill View Post
A couple of years ago it snowed a blizzard here on Feb. 14, was beautiful on the 15th and 65 degrees and gone on the 16th.

There, shelbyco5. It's not so bad. Texas is a lot better (and much bigger) than Rhode Island. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 04:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
A couple of years ago it snowed a blizzard here on Feb. 14, was beautiful on the 15th and 65 degrees and gone on the 16th.

There, shelbyco5. It's not so bad. Texas is a lot better (and much bigger) than Rhode Island. LOL
Yep. I remember that one. We got A LOT of snow on that one. It was really WET snow that stuck to the ground. Okay, a lot of snow for us . We lost one tree (ornamental) from that one because the weight of the snow was so heavy it fell over into the pool. So we went around shaking every tree to get the snow off. The first one I did I was COVERED in snow. The kids thought that was a sight so they wanted to do the rest or stand under the tree when we shook them. We did not get any ice w/ that one from what I remember.

Yes, they abandon cars around here like crazy. I don't get that at all. I've never done that. I don't mind driving on the snow but could care less for the ice. Not that the ice itself bothers me it is the morons that don't believe it is slick and think you can drive on it like rain or snow. It is kind of funny for us natives to be creeping along taking our time on the ice and some moron behind you w/ plates from a state that gets lots of snow gets mad and goes flying around you. A little up the road you pass them in the ditch. You just want to stop and wave and tell them that this is NOT snow it is ICE and you have to drive a little bit slower and more cautious on it. Then the black ice that will be on bridges and overpasses. The idiots that get right on it then slam on the brakes . They might get thru it w/ nothing but everyone behind them is all crashed into each other because of their ignorance. Oh what fun. That is why I just stay home on days when the roads are ice.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:51 PM

138 posts, read 750,938 times
That is why there are school holidays for ice days. I get a kick out of seeing the people go flying by you that are from out of state and then spinning around and around and running gracefully into someone else. The streets are littered with wrecks. Not funny if someone is hurt but entertaining if there are no injuries. The same goes for hydroplaning on the highways when it has been dry for quite awhile. A salty white film comes after a brief rain and it is very dangerous on the highways.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM

201 posts, read 860,988 times
Cars ending up in ditches isn't just limited to TX. When I was driving in UT during one winter, I saw tons of cars in ditches. People overestimate what they can do.

TX has quite severe weather patterns like that. The mix of cold and hot fronts causes very strong winds. It's quite alarming if you're not used to it. I remember one night when it was raining and suddenly, we could hear LOUD banging on the roof because there was hail hitting really hard for like 5 minutes. You learn to not park your car outside if you don't want pock marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, they abandon cars around here like crazy. I don't get that at all. I've never done that. I don't mind driving on the snow but could care less for the ice. Not that the ice itself bothers me it is the morons that don't believe it is slick and think you can drive on it like rain or snow. It is kind of funny for us natives to be creeping along taking our time on the ice and some moron behind you w/ plates from a state that gets lots of snow gets mad and goes flying around you. A little up the road you pass them in the ditch. You just want to stop and wave and tell them that this is NOT snow it is ICE and you have to drive a little bit slower and more cautious on it. Then the black ice that will be on bridges and overpasses. The idiots that get right on it then slam on the brakes . They might get thru it w/ nothing but everyone behind them is all crashed into each other because of their ignorance. Oh what fun. That is why I just stay home on days when the roads are ice.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,648 times
Quote:
Yep, we had a severe ice storm 3 or 4 years ago, (time flies) and parts of East Texas (parts of Gilmer for instance) were with out power for two weeks. Line repair men from as far away as Florida came to this area.
I hate snow.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 AM

138 posts, read 750,938 times
Quote boundfortexas: I hate snow.

As we said snow is not the problem. Ice storms are the problem.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
I just stay home when it gets snowy or icy. The snow turns to ice in short order, and nobody knows how to drive on it. It makes me nervous to drive on it because I get so little practice, so I'm very cautious and slow if I have to drive. As was said earlier, the dummies that don't drive that way are likely to hit those of us who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth