Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 PM

19 posts, read 17,063 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for some time and now that we have set a timeline, I thought of asking the community for feedback and input and advice and snark and whatnot. We have been in DC for the past ten years (our family is in Houston where we always visit for the holidays. We have loved DC for the access to amazing resturants, the museums, the art/galleries, and the urban, clean feel. However, we are ready to move to Texas and invest in our first home. One of our jobs transfers and is telework and one of our other jobs is with the federal government.

First and foremost, we would like to change our standard of living - we have the one income and would like to find a place to live in, and then find the second job, hopefully with federal government again. We are looking for at least one acre property with mature trees, that feels secluded yet is close to downtown, a city with amenities. Based on our research, we're stuck on Ft Worth. Houston is out because of all the strip malls and crime. Our other consideration is Austin, it still is frankly, but not sure if it meets the art requirements - contemporary art, paintings, scultpure, architecure abound, etc. and that art scene requirement is important. Budget wise, we are willing to and have looked only at fixer upper homes - but we want an ideal/best/safest neighborhood that has value, that has that property that feels secluded with one acre or so but within driving distance to city life. The house we want we can build, but we can never change the lot and location.

Any input on this so far, specifically if Ft. Worth is a good idea or should we look at other cities? How does Ft. Worth compare to DC (well, as much as you can compare)? Anyone work for the federal agencies and has some input on that? What are the best neighborhoods with most value around the Ft. Worth / Dallas area? How is the crime around the Ft Worth / Dallas area? Thanks ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:19 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
How long of a commute are you willing to endure to get that 1 acre with mature trees? And what's your budget for it?

Remember that the DFW area now spans a land mass the size of Connecticut. You are going to have to make a choice about what's most important since 1 acre lots are very rare, and very expensive, in the heart of DFW.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:42 PM

not sure about commute to job because one is telework and the other we'll see - we're focused on house first, then decision about the second job (ex: no kids but possiblity of staying home when kids arrive, so that is why the second job is up in the air).

The commute to a downtown Fort Worth or Dallas, I'd want it to be relatively painless, 30 to 40 minutes - and to me "downtown" means the city haha not sure how to explain it, means the good resturants, the bars, the shops, the museums. Is traffic that bad in Ft Worth area? Worse than Houston? In Houston, it can take up to 45 minutes and I am comfortable with that.

I am concerned about your comment about the 1 acre lot - while we do not want it in the heart of DFW, we'd like to be within driving distance. Is this doable? My view may be skewed by Houston where big land with trees is cheap and close to downtown (40 min drive w/ traffic). Budget up to 550K.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:04 PM

286 posts, read 382,670 times
There is a beautiful neighborhood in North West Fort Worth called "Estancia" that describes exactly what you are looking for. But its expensive, the cheapest house is maybe 500k and upwards from there, most houses in that area sit on 1 acre lots with lots of trees. Google Estancia Way Fort Worth. But there is another neighborhood (new neighborhood as well) called La Cantera, that is more affordable. I think they start in the 250K range. and go to the 400k range. The last one would be Wolf Creek Neighborhood/subdivision (however your phrase it). But there are just too many neighborhoods in that area too list. My advice would be to drive down all of Silver Creek Road, Confederate Parkway (don't let the name intimidate you), and Watercress Drive if you want a lake house, but most importantly so you can see for yourself.

West Fort Worth is where I live (the poorer side) and the drive isn't bad at all. Access to Loop 820, and I-30. Other than that I would say either Burleson which is far south Fort Worth. If you ask me, avoid North Fort Worth and the Mid Cities due to traffic and they build houses way to close together with no land (small lots).

Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
There is a beautiful neighborhood in North West Fort Worth called "Estancia" that describes exactly what you are looking for. But its expensive, the cheapest house is maybe 500k and upwards from there, most houses in that area sit on 1 acre lots with lots of trees. Google Estancia Way Fort Worth. But there is another neighborhood (new neighborhood as well) called La Cantera, that is more affordable. I think they start in the 250K range. and go to the 400k range. The last one would be Wolf Creek Neighborhood/subdivision (however your phrase it). But there are just too many neighborhoods in that area too list. My advice would be to drive down all of Silver Creek Road, Confederate Parkway (don't let the name intimidate you), and Watercress Drive if you want a lake house, but most importantly so you can see for yourself.

West Fort Worth is where I live (the poorer side) and the drive isn't bad at all. Access to Loop 820, and I-30. Other than that I would say either Burleson which is far south Fort Worth. If you ask me, avoid North Fort Worth and the Mid Cities due to traffic and they build houses way to close together with no land (small lots).
very helpful, thank you! I guess when I said the one acre I wanted to say, lots of land where I don't go outside the house and see neighbors and neighbors see me (some land would be nice but if it takes half acre or .456 that's fine too) - I want that privacy and that quiet.

If we find an amazing lot, we would be willing to and could spend more. I'll go and take a look - we're considerign visiting the city for the first time and will ask a relator to take us around. But again, location is what it's important to me, I want the suburbs with educated individuals, with high income, with no crime, with great schools - I've had some negative experiences here in DC and I pay premium (aka 2100 plus rent) for DC-safe neighborhood.

Keep the recommendations coming!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:24 PM

286 posts, read 382,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeca778 View Post
very helpful, thank you! I guess when I said the one acre I wanted to say, lots of land where I don't go outside the house and see neighbors and neighbors see me (some land would be nice but if it takes half acre or .456 that's fine too) - I want that privacy and that quiet.

If we find an amazing lot, we would be willing to and could spend more. I'll go and take a look - we're considerign visiting the city for the first time and will ask a relator to take us around. But again, location is what it's important to me, I want the suburbs with educated individuals, with high income, with no crime, with great schools - I've had some negative experiences here in DC and I pay premium (aka 2100 plus rent) for DC-safe neighborhood.

Keep the recommendations coming!
Yeah give it a look! To be frank, you just have to see Fort Worth for yourself and drive around to see what we (us commenters) mean when we describe our City. Fort Worth is a beautiful city that sadly gets shadowed by its bigger sister city Dallas. But it has lots to offer. Wish you luck!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:01 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,259 times
You can have a big lot (not an acre but over .25) and mature trees in FW near (or near-ish) museums and "the scene" for 550K in Ridglea or Westcliff, maybe Tanglewood but that is entry level pricing there, and iffy public schools. You can have beautiful trees, big lot, nice custom home in Aledo with good public schools for 550K but you're 40 min out from museums and the scene. Azle area offers some very small pockets that the pp mentioned but public schools are not good at all at any grade level and you are 40 min out from town. You can't have it all OP, but you can decide what is most important and go from there. FW is a great town.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:47 PM

712 posts, read 841,366 times
There are properties/areas like you are looking for, that are very hidden / unknown, and right in the middle of everything ; like this one..
165 Chaparral Est, Denton, TX 76208 | MLS #13416881 | Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeca778 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for some time and now that we have set a timeline, I thought of asking the community for feedback and input and advice and snark and whatnot. We have been in DC for the past ten years (our family is in Houston where we always visit for the holidays. We have loved DC for the access to amazing resturants, the museums, the art/galleries, and the urban, clean feel. However, we are ready to move to Texas and invest in our first home. One of our jobs transfers and is telework and one of our other jobs is with the federal government.

First and foremost, we would like to change our standard of living - we have the one income and would like to find a place to live in, and then find the second job, hopefully with federal government again. We are looking for at least one acre property with mature trees, that feels secluded yet is close to downtown, a city with amenities. Based on our research, we're stuck on Ft Worth. Houston is out because of all the strip malls and crime. Our other consideration is Austin, it still is frankly, but not sure if it meets the art requirements - contemporary art, paintings, scultpure, architecure abound, etc. and that art scene requirement is important. Budget wise, we are willing to and have looked only at fixer upper homes - but we want an ideal/best/safest neighborhood that has value, that has that property that feels secluded with one acre or so but within driving distance to city life. The house we want we can build, but we can never change the lot and location.

Any input on this so far, specifically if Ft. Worth is a good idea or should we look at other cities? How does Ft. Worth compare to DC (well, as much as you can compare)? Anyone work for the federal agencies and has some input on that? What are the best neighborhoods with most value around the Ft. Worth / Dallas area? How is the crime around the Ft Worth / Dallas area? Thanks ahead!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
There are properties/areas like you are looking for, that are very hidden / unknown, and right in the middle of everything ; like this one..
165 Chaparral Est, Denton, TX 76208 | MLS #13416881 | Zillow
That's in Shady Shores, in rural Denton County. It's at least an hour commute to either Dallas or Fort Worth in traffic...

Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 AM

712 posts, read 841,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
That's in Shady Shores, in rural Denton County. It's at least an hour commute to either Dallas or Fort Worth in traffic...
The OP asked for acres, safe + secluded feel, mature trees, affordable & about 40 min from downtown -
Frisco & Allan are also as far out, but both tollway and I75 are already 'maxed out' and NOT being expanded- only gonna get MUCH worse; I35E IS being widened, 80% done, and will probably be done by time OP unpacks.

ALL the 'good stuff' city-wise is either on north side or central dallas or fw; a central location to BOTH is a wise choice to a newcommer; neither is too far to visit often.

Lake Cities/ Denton area is hardly rural, unless you consider having more than 4 trees, more than 100sq ft back yard, or a view of something OTHER than your neighbors window or fence 'rural' - ha ha ha. The area has everything desired for a tele-commuter; great safe open affordable living, high-speed internet, multiple universities, shopping, and recreation nearby - even has the A-TRAIN to take you into downtown WITHOUT driving..... - I thought that was what OP was after.
I live in Valley View - now that's rural - but I do have gigabit fiber - ha ha

Last edited by oldoak2000; 08-05-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth