Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 PM

420 posts, read 403,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
few 'shootings' in UK but denying guns doesn't make any safer there: you guys are slicing and dicing like it's going out of style:
..."Knife crime rose from 9,742 to 12,074 from 2015-16 to 2016-17..." sheesh!!
Roll call of death: Map shows how widespread knife crime is across London | Metro News

Nonetheless, using a little bit of common sense, you'll be more likely to be struck by lighting (or LARGE HAIL) that be involved in any gun-crime here.

Actually eating and driving are more dangerous, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 05:09 PM

58 posts, read 207,202 times
Wow, oldoak2000, you can sure distort statistics by bringing up 11 stabbings in a city of 8.7 million.
Here are the facts: Since 1990, London (the city you chose to compare - I guess because the OP is from the UK) averages 171 homicides a year and has a population of 8.7 million.
Dallas has a population of 1.3 million and had 172 homicides last year - the majority of which were gun related. (it hard to find inclusive stats for the DFW metro area, but please go ahead and try. I'd love to add Fort Worth and Arlington homicides to the total)
Unfortunately, the US has a gun sickness caused by the thinking of oldoak2000 and others. Here is the correct odds, in order, on what will most likely happen with your gun you have for protection. 1. nothing 2. suicide 3. have stolen. 4 kill family member or loved one. 5. use in a fit of rage. 6. use in self defense. Everyone gets a gun for #6 and thinks #1 thru #5 won't happen to them. Sometimes they hit the lottery and are right. Most of the time, sadly, they are not.

Sources:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...spike-in-march
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London
Gun and self-defense statistics that might surprise you -- and the NRA - LA Times

Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 AM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechGrazer View Post
Wow, oldoak2000, you can sure distort statistics by bringing up 11 stabbings in a city of 8.7 million.
Here are the facts: Since 1990, London (the city you chose to compare - I guess because the OP is from the UK) averages 171 homicides a year and has a population of 8.7 million.
Dallas has a population of 1.3 million and had 172 homicides last year - the majority of which were gun related. (it hard to find inclusive stats for the DFW metro area, but please go ahead and try. I'd love to add Fort Worth and Arlington homicides to the total)
Unfortunately, the US has a gun sickness caused by the thinking of oldoak2000 and others. Here is the correct odds, in order, on what will most likely happen with your gun you have for protection. 1. nothing 2. suicide 3. have stolen. 4 kill family member or loved one. 5. use in a fit of rage. 6. use in self defense. Everyone gets a gun for #6 and thinks #1 thru #5 won't happen to them. Sometimes they hit the lottery and are right. Most of the time, sadly, they are not.

Sources:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...spike-in-march
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London
Gun and self-defense statistics that might surprise you -- and the NRA - LA Times
I own guns because I am a free person, own my land, and ENJOY using and EXCISING my freedoms.
THATS my thinking, given to me by my pappy, his pappy, and his pappy, and also his pappy - all of who sacrificed much DEFENDING those rights and freedoms, including BAILING OUT many other countries who COULDN'T DEFEND THEMSELVES against tyrants of the day, etc.

So if you want to call freedom a 'sickness' - then YOU are a prisoner of your own mind - and YES, maybe YOU should not have guns, NOR anybody that is similarly infected!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Infected, really?

Old 06-23-2017, 01:00 AM

58 posts, read 207,202 times
Quote:
I own guns because I am a free person, own my land, and ENJOY using and EXCISING my freedoms.
THATS my thinking, given to me by my pappy, his pappy, and his pappy, and also his pappy - all of who sacrificed much DEFENDING those rights and freedoms, including BAILING OUT many other countries who COULDN'T DEFEND THEMSELVES against tyrants of the day, etc.

So if you want to call freedom a 'sickness' - then YOU are a prisoner of your own mind - and YES, maybe YOU should not have guns, NOR anybody that is similarly infected!
It's your right to own guns. Never said it wasn't. It's right there in the second amendment.
But statistics are not your friend. Don't you dare try to use statistics to justify having guns.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechGrazer View Post
......But statistics are not your friend. Don't you dare try to use statistics to justify having guns.
hmm; ok. I'll take your 'dare'; Guns are 70 times SAFER than VEHICLES!
thats 7000% safer. MASSIVE statistic!!!
CDC Report: 35,369 Vehicle Accident Deaths, 505 Gun Accident Deaths - Breitbart

why aren't we banning vehicles; they're Waaaaay more dangerous than gunz!

Last edited by oldoak2000; 06-23-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 06-28-2017, 11:10 AM

38 posts, read 60,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Actually eating and driving are more dangerous, respectively.

Czech has it right And the US has a very healthy rate of knife violence ON TOP of the already huge gun crime issue. The overwhelming majority of knife crime in the UK is confined to the inner cities and will be gang related (not that our gangs are anything compared to the US. I think the US gangs make ours look like 5 year olds running around with water balloons...luckily). That's not to say there's not some highly shady characters out there because there are! Unfortunately, the US gang culture has spread to quite a few countries and the U.K. is no exception. Luckily for now, it's still a very small issue.
It's the murder rate you need to look at - that's what worries me. 11.68 per million in the UK vs 42.01 in the US :-/ THAT'S what worries me :-/

Old 06-28-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:

You can own a shotgun for example in the UK if you own land and want to use it for hunting purposes. But I wouldn't say freedom is your right to own a semi automatic weapon. Freedom to me is being able to feel safe, feeling my children are safe, not having to worry about being murdered, being able to go for walks, eat out, even go to th supermarket without fear that I could get shot. I'd say that's freedom but maybe that's just me.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
hmm; ok. I'll take your 'dare'; Guns are 70 times SAFER than VEHICLES!
thats 7000% safer. MASSIVE statistic!!!
CDC Report: 35,369 Vehicle Accident Deaths, 505 Gun Accident Deaths - Breitbart

why aren't we banning vehicles; they're Waaaaay more dangerous than gunz!
Cars were designed to get to work, get to school, get to the doctors etc.
Guns were designed...to kill.
It's difficult in this day and age to live without a car. Nobody in this day and age NEEDS a gun.

Last edited by Abda79; 06-28-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Freedom should be living in a country where you can be who you are, whatever religion you are, whatever ethnicity etc. without persecution. Freedom should not be owning something designed to kill. Freedom should not be feeling you need a gun to survive in a thriving first world country. That's not going to solve the problem. The problem there is WHY one would need a gun to protect themselves. And it's the "why" (eg the crime, the violence etc) that needs addressing. Adding more guns into the mix will only make the problem worse.

I'm not for taking away anyone's freedom...but when freedom is killing and freedom is children dying is massive numbers, (more than any other first world country), then I don't believe that's a freedom to uphold in its current status. It's something that needs to be addressed. What about the freedom of those killed to have been given the right to live out their lives and not have it cut short because somebody decided to shoot them? Especially innocent children. Their freedom to live is surely more important than your freedom to simply own a gun because your "pappy" did? And I don't mean that with any disrespect to you whatsoever. Not in the slightest. I'm sure you're a good person who knows gun safety. But I did mean it with the utmost respect for all those who have died and will continue to do so because those people seem to get quickly forgotten by gun rights activists when discussing this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth