Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
My daughter lives in a fully bricked one-story house that they bought for $130k five years ago. I agree, though, alot of the two stories are partially bricked but you can still find alot that are full brick.
Perhaps older builds, but new builds that are 2 stories and fully bricked are rare. I don't think there's even one in my development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
It just depends on the development. We aren't in a traditional housing tract. It must just be me because I don't see it as it being that big of a problem. You still don't see a lot of just stucco or siding houses that you would in other parts of the country.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:51 AM

I agree whether a house is 50%, 75%, or 100% bricked, it's not a huge issue (for most). But it is still noticeable. Speaking of bricks, there are some horrendous colors out there. Then again, what's ugly to one set of eyes is beautiful to another set.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
it is strange how they will put mostly brick and then a small section of siding! ours is probably 98% brick and then 2 small sections of siding on hte side by the garage. Our whole neighborhood is this way.

In vA the newer homes were are facade brick (front only) then the other 3 sides were siding...it looks horrible!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
It is usually the cities that set the guidelines on the % of a buiilding (commercial AND residential) must be "masonry" be it brick, stone, stucco or concrete. In addition a neighborhood HOA developer can increase the % for that development. MOST cities around the DFW area require anywhere from 75-90% masonry.

It is common to see a builder use siding on the exterior wall of the garage when they are rear entry. This is one spot that is typically on the side of the house and where they can shave some costs and pump up the profit. The really lower price point builders will use siding across the back the house if they can.

When it comes to two stories there are VERY FEW that use 100% brick. Over the garage or a 2nd story wall that sits on top of the 1st floor roof is typically siding. Say you have a covered patio that is part of the house w/ a shingled roof as the cover. If there is a room above the one directly below there may not be a room above this patio "cover". That upstairs exterior wall is most likely siding as it is lightweight. If it were brick the builder would have to reinforce the exterior wall below it in order to support the added weight of the brick.

Why brick or masonry? We get hail here along w/ high winds. Add in the heat, sun, hot/cold and you get to a point where using brick/masonry is the best all the way around value that CAN stand up to the test of time and the elements. Anyone see that house on the news the other night over outside Ft Worth where the homeowner came home and saw holes all in her siding caused from the hail? Looked like swiss cheese.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM

287 posts, read 503,538 times
well that makes sense that local city ordinances determine the percentage of brick on each home. Although I would think aestetics is more of a reason than durability. I do not like the red bricks, though. I like the old bricks, the kind you see on castles, orhouses that are rocked. But to find a house like this, one would have to buy something old, right?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
well that makes sense that local city ordinances determine the percentage of brick on each home. Although I would think aestetics is more of a reason than durability. I do not like the red bricks, though. I like the old bricks, the kind you see on castles, orhouses that are rocked. But to find a house like this, one would have to buy something old, right?
Are you referring to the "antique" looking bricks? Or even those described as "old Chicago"? No, you don't have to buy an older home to have a brick house that has "antique" looking bricks. They can pretty well make the bricks to look distressed or multi-colors/shades instead of just a flat red color.

When you get ready to build a house the builders typically have a brick selection unless you go complete custom or have a more open builde. Your avg tract home builder will have a selection to pick from and nothing else. What you CAN do is drive around new and fairly new (10 years and under) and look for bricks you like. NOW, it is VERY possible for several houses to have the same brick and it to have a completely DIFFERENT look. The grout color, dye lots AND the trim color DO make a difference. I did not believe that our brick was the same as two other friends as it looks totally different. Our trim is darker and the grout blends differently so it LOOKS different even in pictures. When you find several homes with brick you like go knock on their door OR if you know who the builder was right down the address. Your builder or yourself might be able to contact the builder and find out the brick manufacturer and color.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM

287 posts, read 503,538 times
yeah, ok, thanks. I just find some of the red brick ranches to be very unappealing, uninspiring. Now I remember once I saw this two story house, very simple stucture,built out of what looked like shale rock. I just thought it was the most beautiful thing.It was very old. That's what I would like to find some day. The aformentioned house was just outside of Fayetteville, AR, and so that's one of the main reason I am focusing on TX or AR as a place to relocate because I think I am more likely to find architecture that inspires me there.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM

In Texas you will also find a term called "Hill Country". This type of architectural design for the exterior and interior of a home can be found almost anywhere in Texas now. It is typically made of Limestone on the exterior w/ beautiful rich dark red wood trim and at times a complete metal roof or a small overhang of metal roofing.

Here is a great website on Texas Architecture and it also mentions "brick collecting".
Texas Architecture Texas Architecture History.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 PM

I can't stand pure red brick color either. Another annoying color is gray bricks. I'm very happy with the brick color my house came with (it was a new build, but kind of like a "spec home"): it's a brownish-red color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth