Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times

Advertisements

When I see one of those DPS emissions-checker trucks (BTW, they are almost always on freeway ON-RAMPS... well, I shut my engine off and coast by.... crank back up when I'm at least 50 yards past them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:48 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
yesterday I was traveling on street in my local area that has just installed red light cameras at busy intersection--we have seen the flash a couple of times--but yesterday as I was entering the intersection the light turned yellow--I sort of froze--took my foot off accelarator ofr nano second--then hit the gas--I made it to the other side w/o the camera going off...but it was unnerving waiting for the flash..
IMO, these things are dangerous. They promote rear-end collisions from people slamming on the brakes to avoid an undeserved ticket.

These are not the spirit of the law, they are revenue generators. PERIOD.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
IMO, these things are dangerous. They promote rear-end collisions from people slamming on the brakes to avoid an undeserved ticket.

These are not the spirit of the law, they are revenue generators. PERIOD.

^^^^^he said it. No one can dispute that. Not 1 person. Its a form of computerised prostitution by a camera. They're on the street, collecting money...and who keeps the money? The Johns (Arlington PD, government etc.)

Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
acutally there was article several months ago about how Dallas had installed those cameras in many intersections and over time had realized that they were actually NOT revenue generating when people started to slow down and NOT run the lights--the tickets coming in dropped--fines dropped--maintenance for those cameras however is fairly expensive---
when revenue dropped to support maintenance costs, city decided to randomly turn off certain cameras--the deterrant was deemed sufficient just by threat--however I would assume that people would notice if they DID run the light that there was no bright flash or subsequent tickets---
ergo some people will probably decide to take the chance and ignore the cameras' presence and run a yellow
problem is that other people may assume the intersection is more safe than normal BECAUSE of the cameras and not watch that closely when the light changes allowing them to enter intersection--
there could be more accidents at these intersections over period of time...

Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
I think more people will be watching what they're doing as they approach the intersections with the cameras after either receiving a ticket or hearing of someone who did. Even if they turn the cameras off, you have no way of knowing that or even if you have heard they are not working, I think you will still proceed with caution just in case the darn thing might be working when you go through it. About like an electric fence and cows >>> once they get shocked you can turn the fence off for a while (until the new babies come and don't know what it is and go through it ), because they won't no part of it!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I just got a $75 dollar citation in the mail from the Irving Police Department for the same. City policy says that those cameras have to be clearly marked or the citation is worthless. The camera that caught me is not marked in any way, however, I have a feeling the judge would just go ahead and cite me anyway so I'm going to just pay the fine. It doesn't go on your driving record from what I understand.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 AM

it is a moving violation--whole point of the process--you are driving and run a light--
how can that not go on your record???

go take some pictures of the camera at the intersection--blow them up a little as evidence
get the city policy regarding the ordinance
and take a day off work to go to court--the judge won't fine you more because you contest it...
I think...
you can't be finded for parking in handicapped spot if there is no sign posted on wall in front of the space--the parking lot painted designation is not enought any more--know two people who got tickets dismissed because there was no wall sign/post...

PS what intersection was it--they have added several in the Hurst/Bedford area in past month...

Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,286 times
Just curious if other metroplex red light camera cities include a weblink in the citation to see proof of the incident?? Here in Richardson any violator can click on a unique link to witness digital proof of their infraction. Apparently this sharply cuts down the amount of challenges. I don't cruise through red lights (or even 'pink' ones if I can help it) but I figure I'd be pretty chapped if I just opened a citation and was expected to pay without any photo evidence at all.

Loves2read, as Zero mentioned, as far as one of these tickets going on your permanent driving record, moving violation or not, most city ordinances establish a civil penalty against the owner of the car, not the operator. So because of that, it's not reported to TX Dept of Safety.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:04 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
it is a moving violation--whole point of the process--you are driving and run a light--
how can that not go on your record???

go take some pictures of the camera at the intersection--blow them up a little as evidence
get the city policy regarding the ordinance
and take a day off work to go to court--the judge won't fine you more because you contest it...
I think...
you can't be finded for parking in handicapped spot if there is no sign posted on wall in front of the space--the parking lot painted designation is not enought any more--know two people who got tickets dismissed because there was no wall sign/post...

PS what intersection was it--they have added several in the Hurst/Bedford area in past month...
In the documentation that came with the citation it said that it would not go on my record.

As for the intersection, it's at Gateway Drive and 161 in Irving. Below is a link to the map of the location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...X0qDPRPxELhlRA

Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 AM

ok--I see why it is going against the owner of the car since there is no way to verify from the photo alone the person actually operating the car--forgot that point--so that is why it is not a moving violation--but I bet the insurance companies start to add policy adjustment to take these new fines into account...they get notified about tickets--will they get notified about these red-light-camera "civil actions"?

sorry Synopsis--did you get a photo link of your shot--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth