Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:38 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times

Advertisements

I am not understanding people claims in general about Austin being a better city than Fort Worth. Austin claims quote " diversity ", but is Austin really diverse lets see here. Austin black population has seen stagnet growth. Blacks in Austin make up roughly 9% of Austin population.To back my claim up visit links at the bottom. Fort Worth on the other hand has double the number of African Americans in there city making up 20% of the total population. Dallas and Houston larger cities also have black populations of over 20% resepctively. True enough there is a healthy hispanic and white population and the asian community has seen significant growth but diversity please!!! Fort Worth has 7 fortune 500 companies in there city limits and 2 located in suburban Fort Worth. Austin has 2. Not to mention Fort Worth compared to Austin has a much better road system and actual loops and mix masters. I will name the fortune 500 companies that are based in both cities the majority in Fort Worth. The assumption some how Fort Worth not very youthful is also a false claim of course a city would look more youthful when you have a big University of 50,000 smashed in the middle town. Personally I have no problem with Austin but I do have a problem with this Fort Worth bashing as if Austin in some way is superior. Im sure many Houstonians and Dallasites would also agree with my assumptions in many ways. Other than that Austin has alot going for it and really is a great city in its own way just like Fort Worth and every other city.

Fortune 500 companies
Fort Worth
AMR, Radio Shack, Pier 1, D.R. Horton, Burlington No. Santa Fe, Ameri Credit, and XTO energy, Healthmarket, Sabre Holdings

Austin
Temple-Inland, Wholes Food Markets.

(www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A264998 - 102k - Cached - Similar pages)

(FORTUNE 500 2007: States - Texas)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-14-2008 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: moved from the Dallas forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
Austin's weird.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I have never heard anyone compare Austin and Ft. Worth.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,382 times
Isn't it always Dallas and Houston? Not that I want to get that topic started...again...can't we all appreciate what our neighbor cities have and just get along?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I have never heard anyone compare Austin and Ft. Worth.

Nor have I.

Austin is, well, Austin.

Like the signs say, keep Austin weird.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 AM

26 posts, read 122,728 times
Austin is a liberal city in the middle of a very conservative state. Why do you think Texas has a budget surplus while other states are going broke? Conservative!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Austin is liberal as in we've got a bunch of college kids here. Its really more centrist and libertarian, with tolerance for quirkiness.

No one here spends much time thinking about Fort Worth, trust me. They do tease Dallas for being preppy/cosmo and San Antonio for being lame. Its just teasing though.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 PM

212 posts, read 477,530 times
I've been living in Austin for two years now, and being from Fort Worth and sensitive to any comments on it, have heard folks here say many nice things about their neighbor to the north. In fact, the KUT d-jay, John Ailee(?), often says nice things about Fort Worth and encourages Austinites to visit. He's had particularly fond words for the FW museum scene, at least in his radio chatter. The other morning in the bank lobby, I overheard several Austinites talking about whether they liked Fort Worth or Dallas better? It started out as a conversation between a teller and a customer, but quickly spread to the line behind. It was a very funny conversation among them - and Fort Worth was ultimately, and unanimously, chosen superior to the D. I just quietly smiled as the clerk cashed my check. By the way, the Kimbell advertises on billboards along highways in the Austin area, so Austinites are forced to think about Fort Worth a little while stuck in their infamous traffic jams...

Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 PM

90 posts, read 467,721 times
Fort Worth is unique in its western heritage. It's laid back and easy going. Austin, is probably more diverse, not necessarily in ethnic sense, but definitely diverse in mind-set. Average education level in Austin is probably higher, thus the city overall might be smarter, I guess?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM

90 posts, read 467,721 times
RadioShack is ONE word. from the list, you need to take out RadioShack, Pier One, Ameri Credit, Healthmarket, Sabre holding. They ARE NOT F500 companies, not any more or never was.

Austin you need to add in Dell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post

Fortune 500 companies
Fort Worth
AMR, Radio Shack, Pier 1, D.R. Horton, Burlington No. Santa Fe, Ameri Credit, and XTO energy, Healthmarket, Sabre Holdings

Austin
Temple-Inland, Wholes Food Markets.

(www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A264998 - 102k - Cached - Similar pages)

(FORTUNE 500 2007: States - Texas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth