Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I think recently a few Dallas city council persons were convicted and sent to prison for bribery and corruption. And the Dallas County government has long been a forum for race baiting, budget battles, chair fights, jail management malfeasance, and general mayhem. Other than that, it's a shining city on a mud flat...

You couldn't have said it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM

49 posts, read 251,750 times
Bayhale- While FW is not the most open of places, I don't think you will have a problem being accepted for being a lesbian. But like others have said...the athiesm is harder for them to swallow. I moved here from Virginia Beach area (which I thought was conservative and religious) While religion tends to be a part of who people are in many other parts of the country- here, it is nearly all encompassing. I have recently joined a UU church- just to get away from all the religion, if only for one day a week.
Now, with that being said- people here are VERY nice (not at all what they are like on the east coast) but all the god talk does get tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhale View Post
Thank you for this thread and the clarification. My partner and I are moving to FT. Worth from the DC area and I was a little concerned about the raied. In DC we are completely out to everyone and have absolutely no problems. I'm a little concerned about TX but we have no intentions of going in the closet to make other people more comfortable. Not only am I a lesbian, I am a born and raised New Yorker, a liberalm(perhaps flaming by TX standards) and an atheist. In some ways, I'm wondering more about the rest of my attributes being a hindrance to finding new friends in Ft. Worth. Anybody out there with input?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I believe it has to be somewhere in between. DISD could easily be the most corrupt school system in the US. I have two good friends who work for DISD and I do hear horror stories.

But other than DISD, I dont know of too many other scandals.

The city council in Dallas is horrific; the corruption there is almost beyond measure. The Mayor protem, his wife, and other people involved were recently sentenced to years in the penitentiary. They have had scandals in the city council for years. Dallas is a beautiful city and deserves much better. But I digress and have gone off topic.

I hope the OP and partner have found a good home and are happy, wherever they are.

Last edited by buzzpost; 05-20-2010 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 PM

36 posts, read 93,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
Fort Worth has an openly gay city councilman.
I had no idea Joel Burns was gay until reading that statement and Googling a bit. He is the councilman in District 9 which includes the Southside/Fairmount area which, in my impression (sorry, I'm a straight guy so I don't really know for sure) probably has the closest thing to a "gay community" in Fort Worth. I've been to a few city council meetings and my impression is that Burns is a rising star and possible future mayor. Finding out he's gay doesn't affect that impression one way or the other. He's a good guy to have fighting for the city.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Fort Worth is as open as can be. Are we San Fransico? No, but not too many cities are. My wife have I have gay friends in Fort Worth and Dallas. The funny thing is, neither couple likes the other's city. They both think they live in the more "open" city. They both fight about who is better. I have not witnessed any discrimination in Fort Worth towards gays in general, except for the issue with the raid (I think last year) in a gay bar by police(forgot the name). Overall, the standard of living is great for gays as it is for all peoples in the area....

Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM

36 posts, read 93,475 times
It was the Rainbow Lounge. I'm not sure how much was discrimination and how much was drunk bar patrons making it worse than it was; whenever you hear about a place getting raided or something like that, there are two sides to the story. Actually, since then it seems like maybe the Rainbow Lounge has chilled out a bit and the cops are leaving them alone.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 PM

277 posts, read 696,687 times
I'd like to add that (and for some reason this never got much press) but the very next weekend after the Rainbbow Lounge raid in FW there was a raid at a gay bar in Dallas by TABC and Dallas PD... I think it was at the Eagle and not only did they raid the place they shut it down. Fort Worth is very welcoming to gays and as far as I am concerned all kinds of people are welcome. I have lived in Fort Worth all my life and this is a very exciting time to be in FW... Since 2000 the population has increased by something like 37%... that's a LOT of all kinds of folks moving in from all kinds of different places. The more diversity the better! I wish the starter of this thread would check in and give us an update.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:56 PM

277 posts, read 696,687 times
This is awesome....
YouTube - Will & Grace - I'm Coming Out Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth