Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Pro Sport Should FW Get?
Women's NBA Team 0 0%
CHL ('AA' Hockey) Team 0 0%
Relocate FC Dallas or Get Another MLS Team 1 14.29%
Minor League Soccer Team 0 0%
UFL (Minor League Football) Team 0 0%
Fw Can't/Won't Support Pro Sports 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM

146 posts, read 444,218 times

Advertisements

It's been talked about often on this forum, so i'd figure what 'yall had to say.

Fort Worth does have a baseball team...the Fort Worth Cats. One of the nicest minor league stadiums i have ever seen, with a breath-taking view of downtown FW. Fan support for the cats has been great. While i love the cats, they arent a "major" sports team. They are family centered, with great talent, but not a team you will see in the evening news.

I think FW should get another sports team. It would help seperate FW from Dallas, and give the city its own sports team to rally behind. FW has grown, and i think their would be enough fan support.

I am not aware of the facilities in FW. We have the FW cats from baseball already, so thats out.

Correct me if im wrong, but i think FW had D-League minor league basektball team. Anyway, Frisco has a minor league basketball team already, so thats out

I think the only options we have are a central league hockey team. This league is considered 'AA' hockey: centralhockeyleague.com: Home

Since North Texas is Football Heaven, maybe a minor league football team? http://www.ufl-football.com/

I think we could also get a WNBA team or a Soccer team here.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 99percent; 06-01-2010 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Fort Worth can definitely do an MLS or NBA team.

There really isn't much requirement for either NBA or MLS teams, and I can see Fort Worth getting those, but that's only if it wants it. They're going to have to show that they have no interest in Dallas's teams and that they're a large enough market to support their own. In that case MLS is the easiest for Fort Worth to get.

They can't get NFL, two reasons why:

1. Dallas Cowboys play to close to Fort Worth and another stadium would be a ridiculous amount of money spent, and sharing with the Cowboys wouldn't work out. Plus they are the Cowboys the "All American" team. They're one of the most renowned sports teams in the world. And the 2nd most expensive sports franchise in the world at 1.6 billion only after Manchester United at 1.8 billion.

2. San Antonio is next in line to get an NFL franchise (After Los Angeles).

The problems with the MLB is this, a few reasons here too:

1. The "Texas" Rangers are the team for the whole metroplex, they even play near Fort Worth. And their name isn't signifying it's completely Dallas's team.

2. The MLB is a rare expansion, they generally don't expand and they are very competitive markets, you have to have strong demand for them to end up in your city. And They're harder to get than NBA or MLS.

Here's the problem with NHL, a few reasons:

1. Houston has been trying for years and it's 2nd in line to get a team by demand, only after Kansas City, and right before Las Vegas in America.

2. The demand for NHL in the metroplex isn't that high, one team for the metroplex is enough. It was enough for the whole state but Houston's demand for it has increased a lot, and Houston's almost gotten a few break through for it, they even have a few financiers readied up for it. So it's out of the question for Fort Worth.

3. NHL has stated they will not be expanding the league in prospective decades to come.

Okay the problem with the WNBA is this:

1. They've folded a lot of teams in recent years because lets be frank, no one really cares about the WNBA much. The demand is low, and they rarely ever sell out the whole arena.

I think Fort Worth's best shot is at NBA or MLS. Those are easier to acquire, and Fort Worth is certainly proving to be a good market, but they're going to have to want it to get it.

Also to make an Arena for NBA/NHL isn't as expensive as it is for NFL/MLB. MLS is more expensive of a stadium option but not as much as NFL or MLB either.

So I stand firm with the NBA or MLS option for Fort Worth, it's the best shot Fort Worth has got.

As for minor league sports, Fort Worth can basically get any of those going on, that's a sitch as long as it's demand is present to support the team.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
anyone who thinks FT can support a major sports team or even a minor sports team has probably never gone to a Cats game more than once or to a hockey game...
the teams that are here are struggling to stay in the black...
just because they slap an NBA team some place (and that would mean building a new arena with more tax $$$ taking their share out of people's empty pockets) does not mean it is going to find support...

the #2 poster's info line says Chicago is home ground--what does that say about what s/he knows about Fort Worth...

Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
anyone who thinks FT can support a major sports team or even a minor sports team has probably never gone to a Cats game more than once or to a hockey game...
the teams that are here are struggling to stay in the black...
just because they slap an NBA team some place (and that would mean building a new arena with more tax $$$ taking their share out of people's empty pockets) does not mean it is going to find support...

the #2 poster's info line says Chicago is home ground--what does that say about what s/he knows about Fort Worth...
I live in Houston & Chicago currently. I go to college in Austin. I did 11th grade at UNT (TAMS) in Dallas area.
I've lived most of my life in Texas.

I just stated what Fort Worth's chances are. I did state that demand for it has to grow. If the demand for a team was sufficient, then they could support a team.

Now if Fort Worth currently lacks demand for a professional or minor league sports team, then that's fine, but I'm just saying, if the demand will ever be there, than Fort Worth does have a chance at it.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
They're going to have to show that they have no interest in Dallas's teams and that they're a large enough market to support their own. In that case MLS is the easiest for Fort Worth to get.

Thanks for admitting that Fort Worth are after the Mavs and Stars. They won't get them though. American Airlines Center is only 9 years old and is one of the best sports arenas in the country. Dallas is also larger and has the name recognition.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Thanks for admitting that Fort Worth are after the Mavs and Stars. They won't get them though. American Airlines Center is only 9 years old and is one of the best sports arenas in the country. Dallas is also larger and has the name recognition.
I don't think I ever said those words.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
The Fort Worth region would have no problem dumping the Mavs to support there own team. A NBA team could definitely prosper in Fort Worth.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The Fort Worth region would have no problem dumping the Mavs to support there own team. A NBA team could definitely prosper in Fort Worth.

How can they dump the Mavs?? It is not their decision. That is Dallas' team. The Mavs are too good in Dallas to move.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
How can they dump the Mavs?? It is not their decision. That is Dallas' team. The Mavs are too good in Dallas to move.
Right but wait till Dirk leaves. The Mavs are going downhill if that happens. There are rumors that he wants out this year.

I don't think Fort Worth cares about getting the Mavs too like the way they did with the Rangers and the future "Fort Worth Cowboys" ROFL, they'll probably want their own team.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Right but wait till Dirk leaves. The Mavs are going downhill if that happens. There are rumors that he wants out this year.

I don't think Fort Worth cares about getting the Mavs too like the way they did with the Rangers and the future "Fort Worth Cowboys" ROFL, they'll probably want their own team.
The City of Fort Worth does not make those decisions for a team in a neighboring town. That is between the NBA and Dallas. Are you and that guy I replied to on something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth