Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM

596 posts, read 939,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
If you can't drive through a roundabout, don't drive at all.

I hate sitting at stop lights for the most part. Especially when there isn't any traffic (or lack thereof) passing by.
nobody said i couldn't drive through the roundabout. i was just makiing a joke, surprised it got so much attention to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM

607 posts, read 1,375,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
well i don't confuse Frederick with Frederick county cities like Thurmont. but the reality is most of western maryland is commuting to MC for work and that includes hagerstown and places like thurmont. Look at the traffic on the interstates.

it's all a bedroom community for MC at this point. I don't see how Urbana is unique in that regard, it's just a little closer.
The main difference is that most residents of the Villages of Urbana/Urbana Highlands are former residents from Montgomery County.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 PM

596 posts, read 939,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
The main difference is that most residents of the Villages of Urbana/Urbana Highlands are former residents from Montgomery County.
i d on't care one way or the other but how do you know this? did you survey the residents there?

i consider urbana to be frederick. it's maybe 5 miles max to the mall in frederick from urbana. i think it is a good 15 miles at least to the germantown exit.

do people in urbana not like being considered part of frederick. i worked at bechtel and i knew some peoiple who went to urbana high school and they seemd to think they were from frederick.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
i d on't care one way or the other but how do you know this? did you survey the residents there?

i consider urbana to be frederick. it's maybe 5 miles max to the mall in frederick from urbana. i think it is a good 15 miles at least to the germantown exit.

do people in urbana not like being considered part of frederick. i worked at bechtel and i knew some peoiple who went to urbana high school and they seemd to think they were from frederick.
Well, no... I went to middle and high school in Urbana (graduated early, I'm a would-be senior there). Essentially all of my peers/classmates/friends said they were from Montgomery County and/or a different state/country.

In addition, in high school, it was extremely easy to tell apart the people from the Villages/Highlands from, say, Monrovia (people from Windsor Knolls middle), or even from other places in Urbana. Generally, people from the Villages/Highlands were more "up-to-date" (particularly concerning fashion or style), "serious about school," walked faster, and talked faster (much to the annoyance of others, lol).

People from the Villages/Highlands don't mind being considered part of Frederick city, but they don't like being associated with more agricultural places in the county. We have a relatively faster-paced life in Urbana. People from other places of the county will often mention how busy and/or blunt people from lower MoCo are like, and how their culture's "so much different". This absolutely never happens in Urbana.

Personally, if I had remained in Urbana, I'd have certainly said I identify with MoCo a lot more. Not completely sure about others.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM

490 posts, read 925,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Well, no... I went to middle and high school in Urbana (graduated early, I'm a would-be senior there). Essentially all of my peers/classmates/friends said they were from Montgomery County and/or a different state/country.

In addition, in high school, it was extremely easy to tell apart the people from the Villages/Highlands from, say, Monrovia (people from Windsor Knolls middle), or even from other places in Urbana. Generally, people from the Villages/Highlands were more "up-to-date" (particularly concerning fashion or style), "serious about school," walked faster, and talked faster (much to the annoyance of others, lol).

People from the Villages/Highlands don't mind being considered part of Frederick city, but they don't like being associated with more agricultural places in the county. We have a relatively faster-paced life in Urbana. People from other places of the county will often mention how busy and/or blunt people from lower MoCo are like, and how their culture's "so much different". This absolutely never happens in Urbana.

Personally, if I had remained in Urbana, I'd have certainly said I identify with MoCo a lot more. Not completely sure about others.
Well said!!!!! I couldn't of said it better myself.......My wife and I are from Montgomery County (South Germantown) we're looking to buy a Townhouse in Urbana........That why I ask if it relates more to MOCO because my wife and I want the same vibe as Montgomery County

Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,117,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Well said!!!!! I couldn't of said it better myself.......My wife and I are from Montgomery County (South Germantown) we're looking to buy a Townhouse in Urbana........That why I ask if it relates more to MOCO because my wife and I want the same vibe as Montgomery County
If you want 'the same Vibe as MoCo' why don't you just stay in MoCo! Pleas don't move to Frederick County because of our lower cost of gov't and then start asking for services that you had in MoCo.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you want 'the same Vibe as MoCo' why don't you just stay in MoCo! Pleas don't move to Frederick County because of our lower cost of gov't and then start asking for services that you had in MoCo.
Urbana is demographically, politically, and culturally more like MoCo than anywhere else in the county, due to the fact that transplants from MoCo make up like 90% of the population there, and the other 10% are direct immigrants or people from other states (a significant number are from around Philly).

One last thing - people from Urbana absolutely hate it when you call them "Frednecks." That term belongs only to Frederick and other places in the county. Remember, I've lived in FredCo as well. Huge difference culturally between Urbana residents and Frederick residents.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM

490 posts, read 925,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post

@MidvalleyDAD........I didn't mention anything about Washington County aka Redneck valley.........And if my wife and I want to move to Urbana, Md....and bring our MOCO vibe to the area we will.......as long as its NO WHERE NEAR HAGERSTOWN......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick