Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 AM

490 posts, read 924,512 times

Advertisements

Do you think that Urbana relates more to Montgomery county than Frederick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 AM

596 posts, read 937,571 times
I see Urbana as the rich area of Frederick. both are largely bedroom communities for MC.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Yes. Urbana is a Montgomery County suburb. It only exists because of the growth restrictions in NW Montgomery County Ag reserve. The development was pushed northward over the county line.

Frederick is tied to the Baltimore/DC metro region but has a character of its own. It is the county governmental seat, which means urban, rural, and suburban residents must go there from time to time, and is a commercial and business center in its own right. I wouldn't call it a bedroom community, although plenty of commuters live there. It is more of an edge city, a place that is in the fold of the larger metro area, but has a historic past and would exist (albeit in much smaller form) even if it hadn't been discovered by commuters.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM

urbana is probably closer to the frederick mall than some other parts of frederick. most people who make a decent salary who move to frederick look at that area or worman's mill on the far north side of frederick for housing.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM

147 posts, read 292,932 times
I would say Urbana relates more to Mont. County than it does Frederick, since it is mostly a bedroom community for the high paying jobs in MoCo and DC. It used to be just a little old farm community and from what I understand, there are still some of the old timers in that area who are pretty similar to other rural Frederick County folks. Besides those people, it's mainly a suburb for those who want a little more peace and quiet or affordability than Mont. County offers (although it has gotten very expensive over the past decade).

Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM

if you live in urbana, you will be doing most of your shopping in frederick, if you go out to eat, it will probably be frederick most of the time, if you go to the movies, you probably will go to frederick.

i think it's hard to tie to MC if the people there do most of their afterwork stuff in frederick.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,160 times
Having lived in Urbana for 4 years myself (up until a few months ago when I moved to an apartment in Gaithersburg), yes, it does relate strongly to Montgomery County. It is a bedroom community for MoCo commuters, and most people who live in Urbana are actually people who have moved from Montgomery County to Frederick County, for several reasons (most notably the cost of living).

From my observations, commuters usually work in Montgomery County (Rockville seems to be a common place) - but nearly never in DC or NoVA, shopping is mostly done in Frederick County, going out to eat is mostly done in Frederick for American food but in MoCo for foreign cuisines, and people in Urbana are usually upper middle class as opposed to regular middle class at Frederick city and lower middle class in the more agricultural regions of the county.

People who live in Frederick city are usually torn upon whether they want to be recognized as part of Western Maryland or Central Maryland, whereas for Urbana residents, it's clear that they relate much more strongly to Central MD.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM

urbana has the biggest library i have ever seen in a suburban area. bigger than most city libraries. those little kids must really love to read.

i hate those roundabouts in urbana, got like 3 of them in a row, i just wanted to ride over the middle of them. you know you are in a yuppified area when they go with roundabouts.

if urbana had some restaurants it would be ok, but i eat out so much and i would consstantly be going over to frederick if lived there.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM

607 posts, read 1,373,160 times
Something I forgot to mention: Urbana is much more similar to Montgomery County in terms of politics and demographics as well.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM

490 posts, read 924,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Having lived in Urbana for 4 years myself (up until a few months ago when I moved to an apartment in Gaithersburg), yes, it does relate strongly to Montgomery County. It is a bedroom community for MoCo commuters, and most people who live in Urbana are actually people who have moved from Montgomery County to Frederick County, for several reasons (most notably the cost of living).

From my observations, commuters usually work in Montgomery County (Rockville seems to be a common place) - but nearly never in DC or NoVA, shopping is mostly done in Frederick County, going out to eat is mostly done in Frederick for American food but in MoCo for foreign cuisines, and people in Urbana are usually upper middle class as opposed to regular middle class at Frederick city and lower middle class in the more agricultural regions of the county.

People who live in Frederick city are usually torn upon whether they want to be recognized as part of Western Maryland or Central Maryland, whereas for Urbana residents, it's clear that they relate much more strongly to Central MD.
I totally agree that.....Urbana relates more to Montgomery County...for the simple fact a lot of the residents work in Montgomery county....and Most (not all) have the same mentality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick