Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times

Advertisements

I can't wait to fire Time Warner (well, of course, i'll have to keep the internet service).

These days, almost 100% of my TV viewing is done via my DVR. I hardly every watch "live" TV. We usually watch shows a night late, so we can FF thru the commercials. I can't wait for "on demand" of CURRENT TV shows. Netflix+hulu is a start, but not quite there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I canceled my DirecTV plan once my 2 yr commitment expired. Had a UHF antenna installed where the dish used to be, on the back of my house, and I watch OTA HD channels. I wasn't watching enough TV to justify the cost, and most of the shows I was watching were on the major networks.

I'm saving $80/month doing this. My only fee is my Tivo service.

For other TV shows I obtain the shows on the 'net... FREE!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I can't wait to fire Time Warner (well, of course, i'll have to keep the internet service).

These days, almost 100% of my TV viewing is done via my DVR. I hardly every watch "live" TV. We usually watch shows a night late, so we can FF thru the commercials. I can't wait for "on demand" of CURRENT TV shows. Netflix+hulu is a start, but not quite there yet.
I have Dish for now. I am going to have to see what their cheapest rate is for local channels. We don't get much on the digital boxes here. I do want to be able to follow severe weather. Satalite dies about the time the first close thunder so I may go with the 20 dollar package with the cable company which is the only supplier of internet here.

I find I turn on the tv to watch the stuff on the dvr. I used to watch history and discovery but now the good stuff is found on their upper tire channels and no longer on the cheaper ones. It is also on netflix and I have trouble deciding what streeming video I want to see on that instead of having trouble finding something to watch. I share your looking forward to on demand. I would like to keep dish at a low level because it should have that available first over an old tired cable system.

First I want to get a desktop computer. It is easier to replace the stuff that goes wrong like in a laptop. Remote mouse/trackball and keyboard and the tv for a monitor, and I'm set for everything.

I feel rather guilty that I'll go days without turning on the tv except for seeing the weather report.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:33 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
that why iam cutting the cable for both internet and cable tv for my home ..i can get internet at work for the websites i can surf along with the products i buy over the internet ..plus with hulu plus i can watch shows that i like on the computer ..

plus i can use my ipad to surf the web when off work at a place that has Wifi to check the email as it need ..

i wil be saveing about $.140.oo dollars a month and that can go for books and dvds movies i like to have instead of sitting in front of the tv and becomeing fat and lazy

Old 11-09-2010, 06:24 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
TV is crap, and why people continue to pay over $50 for it still amazes me. I can't even stand to watch free TV via rabbit ears. My TV is reserved for DVDs only.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I'm paying my Cable company $75 a month for 250 channels,only 36 of which i have any interest in. Dont mind the expense that much its the seemingly never ending commercials that are killing it for me,
Both my kids only watch TV shows on their computers and i'm also starting to make the switch,
come springtime i think its back to basic cable for me..

Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One time I managed a number of low-income rentals and cable hook-ups were the 2nd thing on the checklist after number of bedrooms.

Even at that time... people were paying $1000 a year for cable packages.
I believe that, Ultrarunner. For some reason, cable TV has gotten lumped into the list of necessity utilities like phone, electric water, etc.

Drive through an impoversihed area and you'll see satellite dishes all over the place.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm paying my Cable company $75 a month for 250 channels,only 36 of which i have any interest in. Dont mind the expense that much its the seemingly never ending commercials that are killing it for me,
Both my kids only watch TV shows on their computers and i'm also starting to make the switch,
come springtime i think its back to basic cable for me..
As a child, I remember when cable came to my neighborhood and the salesman was making his pitch to my father... only $6.95 a month basic or $11.95 for premium with HBO/Showtime... and NO COMMERCIALS

Dad politely told him he wasn't interested... he also said it would cost more than the families monthly gasoline bills.

From what I understand, most spend at least $1000 a year, tons of commercials and service is not as reliable as over the air... just ask my neighbors that lost the Superbowl one year

Counting foreign language stations... 41 channels with Rabbit Ears.

Living without TV would mean no more Judge Judy...

Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
I spend $960 per year on cable, with HBO. Another $600/year on internet.

Its a bill I hate writing, but we do get some enjoyment out of watching the few shows that we keep up with.

Commercials don't really bug me, as i said in a previous post, we almost always watch on DVR anyway - fast forward thru the commercials.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
If you want to see rates go down - stop allowing city councils to give exclusive monopolies to one cable provider in exchange for the coveted "public access channel"

- when a competitor is allowed to service the same area, rates somehow go down. Weird, huh???
We have choices in Vegas.....but they are all too expensive for what they deliver. I do agree it needs to be easier for new providers to get in the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living