Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:11 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times

Advertisements

I remember when I worked 2 jobs and I was never home to even watch TV so I cut the cable to basic.

The price is outrageous no matter how you look at it.

After reading alot of these comments , I am going to check out what some of you have recommended..

I also saw a flyer for * Google TV * just like Web TV but not sure thats totally for me ...more limited in what you can do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:00 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Seriously, there is *so much* content available on the Internet nowadays. You can find just about any TV show you want and watch it online or download it and watch it on your computer (free). It's all out there in cyberland.

I only watch specific shows and I only watch shows when they've either been Tivo'd or when I download them. I don't waste time watching commercials (except the ones on the Superbowl and that's on purpose).

Getting over-the-air channels is great. We're talking high def, and FREE. Better quality than available through satellite or cable, because the signal is not compressed. And did I mention 'FREE?'

Nature abhors a vacuum of course, and that $80+ per month saved is going for other things, but at least the cable/satellite company isn't getting it anymore.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM

357 posts, read 727,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I remember when "poverty" meant when people could barely eat. Now, living on a budget and not having cable means "poverty".

I had satellite service and ditched it 8 years ago. It had nothing to do with whether I could afford it or not. It had everything to do with it being a crappy deal. Constant rate increases, non-stop infomercials, 90% of the channels you don't watch, etc.

The comments on that article are pretty much spot on.

I'd call it the American Dream Distortion. If you're not keeping up with whatever you're "supposed to", you're in poverty.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Getting over-the-air channels is great. We're talking high def, and FREE. Better quality than available through satellite or cable, because the signal is not compressed. And did I mention 'FREE?'
I only noticed how great HD was once we went to the free over the air "version". That's when I went, "wow".

We've had friends cut the cord after hearing how we did it. There are many people out there that think the only way they can get even the regular local channels is through cable or satellite! We've been amazed at how many people didn't realize t.v. can still be free!

We have gotten to the point where we rarely even watch stuff on hulu. There is so many shows out there that we never watched before that we are getting caught up on old seasons watching through Netflix streaming. We figure we'll watch what's on this season when it goes to streaming or dvd.

I think there is about 2 weeks of withdrawal when you change HOW you watch t.v. After that you wonder why it was such a big thing that you were willing to pay so much for it.....

Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM

276 posts, read 476,747 times
I dumped cable seven years ago.

If you have a brain larger than a grape, the content is insulting. Most of you would agree with me... so why do you reflexively continue to subscribe? It's not a "required" utility.

Cable TV is ridiculously expensive, but it's not a cost issue. I wouldn't allow that embarrassing swill into my home, even for free.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I remember when "poverty" meant when people could barely eat. Now, living on a budget and not having cable means "poverty".

Well years ago tv was free to watch. Once you got a tv and an antenna you were good to go. Then cable tv came along and started charging to watch tv. I don't know if its true but I thought they had cut the airwaves a couple years ago to where you can't watch the 3 main networks anymore with an antenna.

I only have cable now because the landlord provides it. I barely watch it since all my fave shows were cancelled. Honestly I mainly only turn the tv on for background noise. I even cancelled Netflix about 9 months ago. I get bored just sitting around watching the tv.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I don't know if its true but I thought they had cut the airwaves a couple years ago to where you can't watch the 3 main networks anymore with an antenna.
See...that's the problem. That's what people now think. Completely not true.

We get all Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and several others. All free over the air.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
I am getting ready to dump cable. My bill just keeps going up everytime I turn around and I still have the same services I had 5yrs ago. I like the internet service that comes with my cable package but it is just getting to cost prohibitive. I sent an email the other day with my bill and got a recorded call from customer retention and was told to call my local call center here in Tulsa to discuss some money saving options..been there done that before all I got told was there wasn't much they could do..baloney. What gripes me is they offer all these good deals to new customers but gouge all the long time customers what about doing something to keep longtime customers happy. If they want to keep me as a customer CALL ME and we will discuss don't ask me to play phone tag.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
See...that's the problem. That's what people now think. Completely not true.

We get all Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and several others. All free over the air.
jkcoop. Specifically what do you do to get it free ( local channels ) . Do you use the $ 40 converter box or some kind of antenae ? I am interested !

Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM

We have a digital antenna - got it online at Target for not much. Now we do have a newer t.v. so we need no converter.

There is a website that my husband used that told us how far the station's towers were from our location, which help us in picking which antenna we needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living