Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM

168 posts, read 308,386 times

Advertisements

i took a $40 alternator core in and they refunded the price of the alternator instead and took the core. i didnt notice it until 2 weeks later when i was checking my bank on line. oh darn, i hate getting a free alternator because someone didnt want to pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,316,316 times
I guess I've made out on small items due to errors..

But the two biggest had to do with Lowes. They had a $950 dishwasher (Bosch) that was $499 because it was a floor model and had a dent on the 'kickplate'. To me it wasn't a huge deal so I bought it. When it showed up, I knew I had a deal when they were un-boxing a brand new one. I asked, but the guys that were delivering/installing it were contractors, so they really didn't care.

The 2nd time was when I bought my grill online and did the pickup. Brought it home, and realized it was a higher end model that sells for about 30% more.

I like Lowes....

Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,785,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I guess I've made out on small items due to errors..

But the two biggest had to do with Lowes. They had a $950 dishwasher (Bosch) that was $499 because it was a floor model and had a dent on the 'kickplate'. To me it wasn't a huge deal so I bought it. When it showed up, I knew I had a deal when they were un-boxing a brand new one. I asked, but the guys that were delivering/installing it were contractors, so they really didn't care.

The 2nd time was when I bought my grill online and did the pickup. Brought it home, and realized it was a higher end model that sells for about 30% more.

I like Lowes....
Lowes... wow ! I think its time I went over there, lol !

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,704,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I went to my local grocery store and the flyer said : Buy one pasta or pizza ( valued at $ 5.00 ) and get the following free :

Peach Cobbler ( large size ) $ 5.95

Garlic Bread ( full loaf ) $2.45

Ice cream ( 1 gallon * mixed flavors ) $4.25

Large 2 liter ( Pepsi ) product $ 2.05

So I got the product, went to the register and the cashier said : " Oh, that's a mistake, it should read buy two and get those items free.. " But since you are here.. we will honor your purchase.

I got $ 15 worth of free things for buying a $ 5.00 pasta.

I tried to go back next day to do it again ( lol ) and they said no...it was a mistake ! Okay honestly I was there for other items but asked if they would honor it ...the answer was NO !

The ad SHOULD have read : Buy 2 pasta for $ 10.00 and get the following products free...
doing this is called "theft" in any book. Coming back for more is called despicable.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM

277 posts, read 627,595 times
No, if someone makes a mistake I tell them,if the checker didn't believe me, I would find a way to convince them.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
doing this is called "theft" in any book. Coming back for more is called despicable.
No. The checker said it was a misprint and they would honor it that day.

The next day while in the store ( shopping for other items) I asked if they would still honor the ad and they said no. I did not have the items in the cart on the second day. I asked first if they were still honoring the ad.

Sales flyers have misprints. Most stores will honor the misprints at least for a time. Consumers could complain about an ad that did not honor what it said. That is up to the discretion of the store what do about the misprint.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,455,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I went to my local grocery store and the flyer said : Buy one pasta or pizza ( valued at $ 5.00 ) and get the following free :

Peach Cobbler ( large size ) $ 5.95

Garlic Bread ( full loaf ) $2.45

Ice cream ( 1 gallon * mixed flavors ) $4.25

Large 2 liter ( Pepsi ) product $ 2.05

So I got the product, went to the register and the cashier said : " Oh, that's a mistake, it should read buy two and get those items free.. " But since you are here.. we will honor your purchase.

I got $ 15 worth of free things for buying a $ 5.00 pasta.

I tried to go back next day to do it again ( lol ) and they said no...it was a mistake ! Okay honestly I was there for other items but asked if they would honor it ...the answer was NO !

The ad SHOULD have read : Buy 2 pasta for $ 10.00 and get the following products free...
You got yourself a good deal

But I'm just flat-out astounded at the prices in your local grocery store. $4.25 for ice cream?!? $2.05 for a liter of Pepsi?!? OUCH

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
You got yourself a good deal

But I'm just flat-out astounded at the prices in your local grocery store. $4.25 for ice cream?!? $2.05 for a liter of Pepsi?!? OUCH
Yup, some of the Pet Ice Cream Brands run $4.00 plus but usually weekly, ice cream of some brand is on sale/ buy one get one- if you buy one, you get if half off...( bogo )

/ This week ice cream 2 for $6.00 so if you just buy one you get it for $ 3.00

Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,436,154 times
My funny story---

this happened a few years back---Targrt printed a coupon

Free choxie Bar

that was it, no limits, no restrictions, just free candy bar. so I printed out about 5, and got them all free. so, my dh printed out about 50, went to Target and scarfed up all the remaining Choxie Bars. something like $80 worth, then he handed them his coupons, they said wait a minute, you can't do that! They got their manager, went over it with a fine-tooth comb, there was nothing that said he couldn't, they finally honored the coupons.

That deal went around the Internet, Target lost $$$$$ on that before they pulled it! It was certainly helpful for us, we were on UE at the time, free chocolate bars were a welcome treat!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
I've had things ring up wrong (underpriced and overpriced) but never by much either way. When things ring up overpriced I point it out. When they ring up underpriced obviously I don't.

When I am handed too much in change I always, always, always give it back. A clerk can always argue against prices scanning incorrectly and keep their job but they're screwed if their drawer doesn't balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living