Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,808,002 times

Advertisements

I went to my local grocery store and the flyer said : Buy one pasta or pizza ( valued at $ 5.00 ) and get the following free :

Peach Cobbler ( large size ) $ 5.95

Garlic Bread ( full loaf ) $2.45

Ice cream ( 1 gallon * mixed flavors ) $4.25

Large 2 liter ( Pepsi ) product $ 2.05

So I got the product, went to the register and the cashier said : " Oh, that's a mistake, it should read buy two and get those items free.. " But since you are here.. we will honor your purchase.

I got $ 15 worth of free things for buying a $ 5.00 pasta.

I tried to go back next day to do it again ( lol ) and they said no...it was a mistake ! Okay honestly I was there for other items but asked if they would honor it ...the answer was NO !

The ad SHOULD have read : Buy 2 pasta for $ 10.00 and get the following products free...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,167,312 times
Nice!

My grocery used to have the cat food I feed my cats marked wrong. The tag said $4.79 but it rang up at $4.99 so I got it free. Three weeks later I was getting ready to go on vacation and went to get another bag ("just in case" LOL). Same thing again, and another free bag.

Well, for ha-ha's I went back 2 days later, day before I left, *just* to see if it had been corrected.

It hadn't and I got yet another bag free. Of course it has since been corrected but that was nice at the time.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,217,156 times
I caught WalMart overcharging me on a loaf of bread that had the manufacturer's price marked on it. The service desk tried to say it was not the mfg price, just a control number, and I showed them other loaves, with similarly marked prices, and they then insisted that I was not entitled to overscan law because I did not leave the store with it and return, and they called a totally snotty jerk who apparently is there to just handle complaints, and by that time, a crowd had gathered, and he threw the money at me and told me I was banned from ever coming in the store again.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM

One time I returned something somewhere and the girl at first wouldn't give me back the sales tax, just the price of the item.

She tried to argue that the tax was included in the price back that she gave me (was NOT - I paid $10.59 - $9.99 plus 6% tax and she wanted to give me back only the $9.99). When I told that was not right, she then tried to tell me I couldn't get teh sales back. I asked to see a manager and she only then rudely gave me the fuill amount back, huffing and puffing acting like she was doing me a huge favor.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,060,006 times
Most stores give the sales tax back, but after they file there state sales tax returns, they can make you request a refund from the state.

But getting sales tax back can work in your favor.. I bought some stuff in a No Sales tax) state but needed to return it, I returned it in 6% tax state. They returned the full amount, + sales tax.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM

I had never had that problem before, so I thought it was very odd. However, the attitude I got from the girl seemed to be because I was making her work.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM

15,645 posts, read 26,340,413 times
I caught the wrong price of a piece of lumber at Home Depot while she was scanning it, but the clerk was so busy talking on her phone, while she was talking to her friend at the next register and totally ignoring me, other than scanning.... since she wouldn't listen I decided to take it and run. It's not my job to KEEP telling someone they are making a mistake over and over -- twice is enough. It was only 2 bucks wrong.

Same thing happened four weeks later at the same place, this time with light bulbs and a manager..... got 50 bucks worth of lights for 15.... I tried to tell him three times....but he just wouldn't listen AND was rude.

I sincerely HATE Home Depot.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,973,068 times
We came home yesterday from a trip to Sam's. Mind you, it's more than a half hour away. We only go every month or longer in between because at some point, the cost of the gas isn't worth it.

When we got home and I was looking at the receipt, I noticed that the checker didn't anything that had been underneath the cart! What's weird is that we took all the small stuff out, put on the conveyor, then moved the cart around to his side. He scanned the bigger stuff we left in the main cart. How he missed a huge bag of dog food, cat food, litter, and wet cat food it beyond me since it was hanging off the edges. He did seem quite indifferent about having to be there.

Now what we are trying to figure out is, what are the people good for at the door who "check" receipts? She didn't catch it either. And in fact, reminded us not to forget the stuff on the bottom.

We only go once a month, so debating if going to customer service and trying to pay for the items next time and trying to explain what happened will be a bigger hassle. Sometimes it seems people get very confused when you try and do that right thing.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,186,321 times
Yes, a big one! About 9 yrs ago I wanted to buy my son a wooden swingset/fort set. Sam's Club was selling them for 599. This was a steal considering at the time a playfort of that quality would go for a lot more (we shopped around and looked at building one). Sam's Club kept selling out of them as fast as they came in. I went to the service desk to find out when more would be coming in. The girl at the desk told me there actually was a waiting list going because so many people were inquiring about them. She said more than likely they would only get a few more in and that would be it for the year. I told her that I would be willing to drive to another store if there some still around. She actually found one for me at a store but it was in the system as a damaged item. It was about an hour drive from where I lived. She said the store planned on returning it because it came in with a broken slide. She leaned in real close and said it wasnt a big deal if I wanted to buy it. She said all I had to do was contact the 1 800 number from the manufacturer and they would send me a new one for free.

So I make the trek out to the store and get there just before closing. The manager was really helpful and also told me to just to call the manufacturer for a new slide. He said they were going to do it but since they were not getting anymore sets in, he would rather just sell it and get it out of his back room. So we get it up to the register and the cashier I had clearly hated life, her job or whatever. She had a scowl on her face and had major attitude. I'm still in happy happy land because I got this swingset for my son. She couldnt find the barcode on the box which then put her in major pissed off mode. She asked me what the item was (gee, you would think the slide was a give away). I told her the swingset and pointed to the display which was about 20 feet from where we were standing. She exhaled really loud and stomped off to get the number. I'm watching her and she is getting the number off a gazebo which was priced at 150 dollars also located right next to the swingset! I was thinking what in the hell is she doing? So she comes back and I said I think you got the wrong number because....she stopped me as she gave me this look like she wanted to kill me. I was like wow okay lady ring it up. So I got a 599 wooden/fort playset for a 150 bucks. I called the manufacturer and they sent me a new slide free of charge just like the store said they would. No one could believe I got that swingset for a 150 bucks lol. But seriously, I tried telling the woman she was ringing it up wrong but she didnt want to hear a word from me and I dont even feel bad about it. My son is now a teen and we have given the set to another child in the family. Best 150 bucks I ever spent.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,808,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Nice!

My grocery used to have the cat food I feed my cats marked wrong. The tag said $4.79 but it rang up at $4.99 so I got it free. Three weeks later I was getting ready to go on vacation and went to get another bag ("just in case" LOL). Same thing again, and another free bag.

Well, for ha-ha's I went back 2 days later, day before I left, *just* to see if it had been corrected.

It hadn't and I got yet another bag free. Of course it has since been corrected but that was nice at the time.
Great Story !

Here's two more :

I saw a backgammon game and there was no price. I went to the register and the lady got on the PA and asked the stocker how much the backgammon game was ( this particular one/type sells for near $ 40 ) the stocker said $ 13.99 ! ( I knew that was wrong because there was a smaller one on the shelf...)

I said " $ 13.99.. are you sure ? " The checker looked bored and said * Yeah, that's the right price * and rang me up ! So I got a nice one and saved almost 30 dollars !

Another one : I went to the grocery store and the checker rang up the item. I said " Excuse me but that's not the right price " She called the manager and she said " You get it for FREE " I said " Why ?? " She said " because if we advertise it for the price and we are wrong in the register you get it free :

Oh Happy Day !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living