Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Nothing is guaranteed in life. But those with a higher level of education are likely to make more more money in their lifetime than those with lower levels of education.
Yes, but is the degree earning the money, or is the person??? Think about it... You must be reasonably intelligent to acquire a college degree, and I would suspect reasonably intelligent people are capable of commanding higher wages/salaries. With this in mind, it's easy to see why degree holders do, in fact, earn more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, but is the degree earning the money, or is the person??? Think about it... You must be reasonably intelligent to acquire a college degree, and I would suspect reasonably intelligent people are capable of commanding higher wages/salaries. With this in mind, it's easy to see why degree holders do, in fact, earn more.
Just because a person has a degree does not mean he/she will have a higher salary. Degree in what though? Arts or Science?

People's lifestyle can change after getting a degree and may not be interested anymore in working related to their degree.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Speaking as one who has a degree, what good it does is that it demonstrates that one can actually finish something one has started. There are also some people with degrees who are remarkably unintelligent and lack anything remotely resembling common sense.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Speaking as one who has a degree, what good it does is that it demonstrates that one can actually finish something one has started. There are also some people with degrees who are remarkably unintelligent and lack anything remotely resembling common sense.
Colleges/Universities want YOUR money. Its business. They don't care about you. You can get the same college books in the library for free and study on your own.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
.. it does is that it demonstrates that one can actually finish something one has started. ....
Some employers think this way, isn't THAT a tragedy that educators don't put the same merit of providing 'life long knowledge' (rather than FOR profit / FTE funding)

My best educational experience was in completing 4-H projects.

Dairy Farm boarding school is always a good idea to see if folks can endure a full day's work

Learn a SKILL in addition to your degree, AND be working IN YOUR FIELD while going to school. It greatly enhances your comprehension and ability to apply your learning's.

A degree (on its own) Not worth much. YMMV

Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Colleges/Universities want YOUR money. Its business. They don't care about you. You can get the same college books in the library for free and study on your own.
If they were hoping for $$ from me, I was a dead loss to the education industry. Overall, I think I paid for one course and a handful of the texts. All the rest was either through scholarships (in the very beginning) or funded by my job[s]. I probably have the country's least expensive BA. I wouldn't have that except in the end my last job was one that was supposed to require at least a Master's, so my boss made sure I finished my BA instead and the company paid for it.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
If they were hoping for $$ from me, I was a dead loss to the education industry. Overall, I think I paid for one course and a handful of the texts. All the rest was either through scholarships (in the very beginning) or funded by my job[s]. I probably have the country's least expensive BA. I wouldn't have that except in the end my last job was one that was supposed to require at least a Master's, so my boss made sure I finished my BA instead and the company paid for it.
You weren't a loss to the education industry. Just because someone else paid for you, doesn't mean that your college didn't get the money. They sure did.

But anyways, many colleges are non-profit, so not all colleges are in it for money.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
At the end of the day, it is the person. I have done well in my career by being very good at what I do. But my degrees are what helped me get in the door in the first place. And it is very unlikely that I would have the position that I do (and make the salary I make) if I only had a HS diploma and not an MS.

Intelligence / personal attributes aside...for many jobs these days, applicants with degrees are going to be seen as more desirable than those without. Hence, they will end up doing better in the long run. Popular anecdates aside, how many people do you know without any higher educational degrees that make 6 figures a year?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
At the end of the day, it is the person. I have done well in my career by being very good at what I do. But my degrees are what helped me get in the door in the first place. And it is very unlikely that I would have the position that I do (and make the salary I make) if I only had a HS diploma and not an MS.

Intelligence / personal attributes aside...for many jobs these days, applicants with degrees are going to be seen as more desirable than those without. Hence, they will end up doing better in the long run. Popular anecdates aside, how many people do you know without any higher educational degrees that make 6 figures a year?
I am happy to hear of your success, and applaud anyone who pursues higher education. I work in manufacturing, and many of the people I have worked with, including my current boss, pull 6 figures very easily. They may work 6-7 days a week, but there aren't too many other fields where a H.S. graduate can earn that kind of money.

The thing is, many stupid people think factory work doesn't require a brain, so they show up to give it a go. They'll last about a week, than the boss will give them the boot when they realize how much money can be lost when they destroy equipment. Many shops are learning again that it pays off to pay good wages and get people who won't cost the company hundreds of thousands in damage.

College degrees are almost worthless in my trade. I've worked with University of Michigan grads who had no math abilities whatsoever, and required me to walk them through simple geometry and trig. I've even seen some get seriously hurt on the job because they thought they were intelligent enough to defy the laws of physics. Lack of understanding and respect for machinery in motion. Things can go wrong even if you have a college degree... Who woulda thunk it.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
This depends on what you studied. If you have any type of Engineering degree then its worth it. I don't think you need to go to a reputable university to earn that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living