Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM

866 posts, read 1,136,941 times

Advertisements

Need to come up with a home based source of income due to some disabilities that don't allow me to do the physical labor like I was doing two years ago.
Currently on disablity but would really like to get off it or reduce it so I'm not dependent on the government or a burden to family.
Most of the responses are about doing online surveys but it doesn't sound like a person could have a steady income doing that. What other things could be done from home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Need to come up with a home based source of income due to some disabilities that don't allow me to do the physical labor like I was doing two years ago.
Currently on disablity but would really like to get off it or reduce it so I'm not dependent on the government or a burden to family.
Most of the responses are about doing online surveys but it doesn't sound like a person could have a steady income doing that. What other things could be done from home?
You could try what I do.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You could try what I do.
What do you do? I'm curious but a really bad guesser, so give me a clue as to what you do

Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
What do you do? I'm curious but a really bad guesser, so give me a clue as to what you do
A clue? I've posted it in this thread (along with other threads). It doesn't bring in much, but at least a few grand per month.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,599 times
Extra cash?

Ok, how about this.

You can go to fiverr.com and do a gig for five bucks. Whatever you think is valuable that you do. OR.

Go to fiverr.com and pick out a gig. Now take this gig and go to another website such as gigbucks. On gigbucks you can charge up to 10 dollars for a gig. With your fiverr gig rewrite that into a gigbucks gig.

Now what you have done is called arbitrage. You buy the gig from fivver and sell it on gigbucks at a higher price.

Be warned however this might make the gig creator angry at you. I don't know why they get mad, maybe it's because they didn't think about doing it first. Anyhow money is money.

Another example is buying old books from the 1950s + and selling them anywhere online. IF you can obtain old rare books.

So find something you can get CHEAP and turn around and sell it HIGHER.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 PM

NJBest: Sorry about the crack I made. Went back and re-read the first page and found your post.
I was hopeing folks might have other ideas that DIDN'T involve using a computer as I'm not very knowledgeable on how to work them. Seem to form a mental block when someone tries to explain computer stuff to me. Just can't get it. I can turn one on/off, find emails, and access the internet or do google searches but that's about it. A lot of times I come across things purely by accident and other times I screw things up so bad I have to get someone else to fix them cause I have no clue how I did what I did to screw it up in the first place
One of these days I'll do something and won't have someone nearby be to undo it and that'll be the end of my computer use altogether.
I guess I'm a dinosaur, I know I'm not a high-tech type. Still use a push-button land line. No cell phone, I-pod,I-pad or any of the other new
gadgets that are out there. Haven't had a need for any of them.
But THANKS for your suggestion!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,340 times
Quote:
A clue? I've posted it in this thread (along with other threads). It doesn't bring in much, but at least a few grand per month.
I've never seen you post before, so I have no idea on what you do. Tell us please.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM

JOKE INSURANCE: According to his post (#5 of this thread) NJBest "sells stuff on E-Bay." That's either a LOT of stuff or some High Dollar stuff to be able to bring in that kind of money on a regular basis.
Unfortunately, none of my stuff is worth a dime, and I don't own any extra stuff.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
I've mentioned this on another thread about what I do for ebay. It's very profitable.

Go to a large university's website (ideally one local to you). Find what books they use for hard classes (Calculus III, Physics, Advanced Finance class, etc). Buy, rent, borrow the book. Do ALL the problems in the book in a notebook. Then type it all up and sell your work and answers on eBay for $40.

It takes me about a week to get through a book and you can often sell your work about 100 times per book. You make decent pocket money, and you get to enjoy the challenging material.
Is that even legal? Seems like you are using copyright material.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
Stock trading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I know this has been covered before, but let's come up with ways to make some extra cash from home---

computer surveys. I do Inbox dollars, but they are getting stingy. I did make $40 last month, but usually its more like $5-$10

Evergreen surveys

sell stuff on Ebay, Craigs list

garage sale

let the cats catch mice and save on cat food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living