Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,263,784 times

Advertisements

puretalk is $10 for the first phone and $5 per month for each addditional phone. no data.

if you need your phone for work let work pay for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 04:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,227,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I live in the outer edge of suburbs with no public transportation. My girls are now 30 & 33. My husband and I both worked and neither of them EVER had a cell phone until the older was 21. The younger bought her own; she lives on it. If they wanted us, they had to call us at work -- meaning go to the school office, or go to a friend's house or go to (God forbid) a pay phone.... and they survived.

Kids do not need cell phones. Our kids survived. One hardly ever uses hers but texts if need be; however, her sister lives on it ( so, she pays a lot)

CUT KIDS PHONES OUT.
Exactly. I bet there's at least 200 million Americans alive today who survived childhood without cell phones.

Moreover, what's wrong with getting kids cheap Tracfone style phones where you don't have a monthly fee but a supply of minutes? Or a cheaper plan? I think AT&T offers no contract monthly plans with limited minutes, unlimited texts, and no data for about $20 month. I have a plan with them with about 500 minutes of phone, unlimited texts, and limited data for $40/month. If your work use of the phone is only to receive/make calls, then you certainly don't need data either.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:15 AM

18,554 posts, read 15,648,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Exactly. I bet there's at least 200 million Americans alive today who survived childhood without cell phones.

Moreover, what's wrong with getting kids cheap Tracfone style phones where you don't have a monthly fee but a supply of minutes? Or a cheaper plan? I think AT&T offers no contract monthly plans with limited minutes, unlimited texts, and no data for about $20 month. I have a plan with them with about 500 minutes of phone, unlimited texts, and limited data for $40/month. If your work use of the phone is only to receive/make calls, then you certainly don't need data either.
I agree, though for me, the minutes would be too limited.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I agree, though for me, the minutes would be too limited.
There are all kinds of modest monthly plans these days, even from major providers, was my point. The same with the phones themselves. I got a 4G Android phone for < $150 including tax and I just paid cash for it. It does everything I need it to do. If you're looking to be frugal, you don't need to have the latest/greatest Android/iPhone, pay a premium price for it, and then get saddled into a multi-year contract to pay it. If the prestige of having the latest and greatest is that important to you, then go for it and cut back elsewhere.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:26 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,187,213 times
Quote:
Get rid of your cell phone, and make your friends wait to hear from you after you get home, and retrieve your messages when you get home. Save $1500 a year X 50 year remaining lifetime = $75,000.
I know it's an idea…..but if you do this isn't the person also getting rid of a convenience that s/he may enjoy?
If you get into an accident of need to call for help or some assistance…or suppose YOU want to get in touch with someone.

Of course not everyone has a cell phone, even now.
But if you have one I'd take it you're using it and have it for a reason. So I'd think getting rid of it would be a non-starter. But maybe not.

IMO getting rid of a cell phone is ridiculous. But I'm sure others disagree.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,415,256 times
I strongly prefer having a basic (non-smart) mobile phone over a home phone.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know it's an idea…..but if you do this isn't the person also getting rid of a convenience that s/he may enjoy?
If you get into an accident of need to call for help or some assistance…or suppose YOU want to get in touch with someone.

Of course not everyone has a cell phone, even now.
But if you have one I'd take it you're using it and have it for a reason. So I'd think getting rid of it would be a non-starter. But maybe not.

IMO getting rid of a cell phone is ridiculous. But I'm sure others disagree.
Agreed. I kept the cell and ditched the land-line. Ditched the answering machine. Ditched the constant stream of phone solicitors in the process, too, especially at dinner time.

My cell plan costs no more than my land-line did, and it could be less if I didn't have text or data but I like both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living