Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,779,474 times

Advertisements

Lets say you earned $ 2,000 a month take home pay. What are the percentages that your Bills should work out to be ?

Like Housing what % ?
Utilities % ?
Food / Insurance / Misl ?

How much of that should be put into savings ?

So that you live a frugal life that is not beyond your means ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,062,435 times
Generally speaking, housing (rent/mortgage) should take up no more than a third of your monthly income. Next, put aside at least 10% of your income for savings. The remainder can be divided amongst your other bills. Some finance websites give figures of 5-7% for food and 10% for transportation.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Generally speaking, housing (rent/mortgage) should take up no more than a third of your monthly income. Next, put aside at least 10% of your income for savings. The remainder can be divided amongst your other bills. Some finance websites give figures of 5-7% for food and 10% for transportation.
Thank you so much

Old 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
I never trust those kinds of figures. First of all, $24K is a pretty low income, and no matter where you live, you are going to be in the lowest cost housing you can find that meets some fairly basic standard. That will almost certainly be over $600 a month including utilities, and the necessity for heating and/or AC can push that upward. A single person can eat on $100 a month only if very frugal and well practiced at keeping costs down. Most people can't do it for less than double that, which would be 10% of your $24K. Transportation will vary widely, and be almost nothing if you can walk to work. My cost of transportation is almost exactly zero, because I can walk to supermarket, library, etc., I don''t work, and I have never need to go out of town. The local bus is 50c each way, and I ride maybe once or twice a month. But a person with a 8-cyl vehicle that commutes ten miles each way in rush hour traffic and is under age 25 will pay nearly half his income for car payments, gas, insurance, etc. In some zip codes, car insurance alone might be over 5% of $24K.

The bottom line is that you "should" pay as little as you can get by with, constantly look for ways to reduce that without severely damaging your lifestyle, save the rest, and in rive years or so, quit and walk away from it all and take a leisurely trip around the world or something.

On your death bed, you will not regret anything you ever did---only the things you did not do.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never trust those kinds of figures. First of all, $24K is a pretty low income, and no matter where you live, you are going to be in the lowest cost housing you can find that meets some fairly basic standard. That will almost certainly be over $600 a month including utilities, and the necessity for heating and/or AC can push that upward. A single person can eat on $100 a month only if very frugal and well practiced at keeping costs down. Most people can't do it for less than double that, which would be 10% of your $24K. Transportation will vary widely, and be almost nothing if you can walk to work. My cost of transportation is almost exactly zero, because I can walk to supermarket, library, etc., I don''t work, and I have never need to go out of town. The local bus is 50c each way, and I ride maybe once or twice a month. But a person with a 8-cyl vehicle that commutes ten miles each way in rush hour traffic and is under age 25 will pay nearly half his income for car payments, gas, insurance, etc. In some zip codes, car insurance alone might be over 5% of $24K.

The bottom line is that you "should" pay as little as you can get by with, constantly look for ways to reduce that without severely damaging your lifestyle, save the rest, and in rive years or so, quit and walk away from it all and take a leisurely trip around the world or something.

On your death bed, you will not regret anything you ever did---only the things you did not do.
I like what you said I do live below my means right now .

I try to cut at every corner

This is one of the best forums because everyone is saving money now because saving money is cool ! I have always lived a frugal lifestyle but its great to see others with their advice and tips...

Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,638,632 times
It would be very hard to ever put aside money on $2000 a month income.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:01 PM

99,706 posts, read 4,498,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
No it's not.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM

22,631 posts, read 47,766,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
No it's not.
Agreed!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,921,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I bring home $2,000 - $2,300 a month.

I have a nice 1 bedroom apartment 8 minutes from work. I have 1 truck paid off, an ATV paid off and working on paying off my truck I drive daily now. I also help out my parents whenever they need any help and I still save $400 a month.

You don't have to have a large income to save money. You just need to know how to work your money. I know people around me that make almost twice as much as I do and they never have any money.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,131,411 times
I make $2400 a month and I teach and have 3 kids. It is tough! The sucky part is I have 2 master degrees in education. Of course, some would say I am not very smart because I choose to make so little. And even though I am good at what I do and love the kids...they are right. I am going to switch gears a bit because it is crazy that I spend so many hours teaching and get paid so little. I can still find ways to make an impact in children's lives and not put my own family on welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living