Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
We live in the same country but we live in two completely different worlds .
Seriously!

My son just got married and bought a small house (900 sq ft).
Mortgage, prop tax and insurance cost them $625/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 12,468 times
$2000 a month after taxes (and I am assuming the TC is discussing net pay) is about $40k annually -- about the median salary. Many people raise families on much less.

I made almost exactly $2000 a month last year after taxes, and while it wasn't glorious it was manageable.

Rent - 600
Utilities - 150
Car Insurance - 60
Student Loans - 280

That leaves about 900 a month for food, gas, discretionary spending, and savings. Saving was tough, but I did manage to save a little bit.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Seriously!

My son just got married and bought a small house (900 sq ft).
Mortgage, prop tax and insurance cost them $625/month.

My rent is twice that for about the same size house. No utilities included and I had to pay nearly $1000 extra for my security deposit for my dogs. Bah. Sometimes I think it's not worth it to live here... but on the flip side I love it here. Unfortunately, so does everyone else which jacks up housing prices. My county was the #3 most expensive place to live right behind San Francisco and NYC...and I can bet most people haven't even heard of it.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I live in Eastern, NC and my one bedroom apt is $405 a month. The walls had fresh paint, the floor had brand new carpet and also had a brand new oven/stove.
And I thought I did really well getting a room in a 3 bedroom apartment with a 20 year old kitchen! Only $600 a month in the suburbs of Boston, plus $100-$150 a month in utilities. And I really do mean "only". They aren't even charging me one of the ludicrous $30-50 a month surcharges for my cat that seem so common in Massachusetts.

I've seen even room-shares (as in 2 people to a room) go for $800+ in the city. A studio in the working class suburb I will be living and working in is at LEAST $800- and that's for the cheap, never renovated, original 1960s kitchen. Then you're on your own trying to pay for oil heat for $200+ a month through the winter. If you want a one bedroom, you're looking at $1100 bare minimum.

On the plus side, a car is a want rather than a need for many people in higher-rent areas of the country. I'm saving myself $400 or so a month in car payments, gas, and insurance simply by walking or getting a bus pass. I will eventually get a car, but that will be solely a luxury and convenience purchase. Most of my friends who live a little closer to Boston and pay a little more in rent would find a car more of an inconvenience even.

Yes, you can live cheaply in some parts of the country, but the job opportunities aren't always there- particularly if you are trying to relocate. The transportation factor is a big issue as well.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Rent at $500? $500 a week, maybe. $500 a month - no place. Even the cheap places, three deck city apartments, around here rent for $900 to $1200 a month. If you are stuck with a $24,000 a year job move in with somebody with a better job and combine your incomes.

I looked at teaching as a profession four decades ago. It looked like a ticket to near poverty then and has only gotten worse. Unfortunately it has also gotten worse for computer programmers etc and much worse for blue collar trades.
pssst....Greg....under $ 500 a month is possible if you live in the South. And the neighborhoods are safe and very very little crime. And my place is very nice !

To give you an idea. I went on Crime Reports ( I think that's the name ) and put in my town. It said : 1 stolen bicycle.

If I put in the town of _____ (big city in Florida) , it says 350 crimes reported that day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living