Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 PM

564 posts, read 1,494,928 times

Advertisements

An odd thought that popped into my head...during the winter, when I run the clothes dryer, all that heated air it's generating and blowing over the clothes is then going right out the vent and into the outside. Anyone tried disconnecting the exhaust vent and allowing the warm air to instead fill your house? It would probably be pretty humid air as well, but that could be a good thing in the winter time. What do you think, is it worth trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,289,558 times
You don't want to vent it directly into your house because it will blow tiny particles of lint everywhere. But you can buy an indoor dryer vent at most home improvement stores. It's basically a little box that you put water in and attach to the vent hose, the water traps the lint and the warm, humid air escapes into your home.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You don't want to vent it directly into your house because it will blow tiny particles of lint everywhere. But you can buy an indoor dryer vent at most home improvement stores. It's basically a little box that you put water in and attach to the vent hose, the water traps the lint and the warm, humid air escapes into your home.
That is not a bad idea. I don't do laundry everyday and dryer is in a part of the home that no one really spends time... but for someone who does laundry often and can heat up a nice living space, sounds like a good idea.

I wonder why dryers aren't just connected to the furnace to begin with. I mean, why do you need two devices that generate hot air? The furnace could either send hot air to the dryer or house (in forced air homes). Maybe I'm just not thinking this through.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,821,472 times
Since this is the frugal forum: why on earth do you do laundry every day?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,885,527 times
Thanks for the ideas & box recommendation! I read the dryer is 2nd after AC in electrical energy use...so good thinking

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,885,527 times
I believe the post says they do NOT do laundry every day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Since this is the frugal forum: why on earth do you do laundry every day?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I believe the post says they do NOT do laundry every day....
It was an odd comment. I can't imagine the waste of water and resources if there are people out there that do laundry every day. I do a couple loads a week. I'm getting rid of the big comforters, my washer just can't handle them. I also want to get full size beds instead of queen.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,542,664 times
Folks, you can buy those diverter boxes with a stocking-like lint trap. It will blow the warm air into the living space....BUT....you CANNOT do this with a GAS dryer. With a gas dryer the exhaust of the gas burner goes out the dryer vent. It is NOT just warm air....it is Carbon Monoxide....a deadly odorless, colorless gas that WILL kill you.

FRANK

Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM

564 posts, read 1,494,928 times
Good point, Frank. I've never had a gas dryer, so didn't even consider that. I don't know how common they are, but I figure most people these days probably have electric.

Anyway, depending on your house I suppose it may or may not have much benefit. For people with a few kids in the house, they may be doing a lot of laundry. My house is a rambler with a basement (where the laundry is located) and is fairly simple in layout, so I figure the extra heat would rise from the basement and make its way throughout a good portion of the house.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,542,664 times
One must remember the humidity aspect of it. If the air is humid it can cause moisture problems, leading to mildew, mold, etc. Also, I doubt the stocking for the lint would catch all of it....plus, as it clogged it could cause more problems with the dryer as it would restrict airflow.

On a related note, it is a good idea to clean out your dryer vents once a year or so to prevent a dryer fire. A clean dryer vent also results in shorter dryer times, etc, thus saving money.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living