Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times

Advertisements

It isn't just the price of one item which drives the cost up. It's the increased price of everything. The prices here haven't gone up as much per item, although the item sizes have decreased so if you figure it out by the ounce or pound, the price has about doubled in the past several months.

We have radically changed our shopping habits as well as where we shop. We now go to "Filipino stores" for our vegetables as well as farmer's markets. We've planted a lot of various edibles and we buy stuff from local suppliers some of whom are our neighbors. We not only get a good price but keep the money in the community, too.

Our grocery expenses have actually gone down lately. We just aren't paying the prices they are asking anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times
Exactly - my example of the tea bag price I posted was such. Everything has gone up and it all adds up to more $$ for food.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
A year ago my spending averaged $30 a week for groceries, now I am averaging $20 a week for groceries. The more food prices go up the less I buy, kind of strange how that works.
For that kind of budget I hope you're not buying too many dead foods, like crackers and chips, canned and frozen stuff, etc. But on that budget I don't know how you can afford fresh produce and fresh sources of protein. If I were spending that amount, it would go for whole grains, fresh fruit and greens, fresh fish, and little else.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM

27 posts, read 45,173 times
1 - Food prices have been and will continue to increase.
2 - Mitigate the effects of 1 by learning how to store food long term. No longer the brand of nut-jobs and fringe conspiracy theorists, storing food is a smart way to save money and be prepared for the unexpected.
3 - profit!?!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM

323 posts, read 529,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic_poster View Post
1 - Food prices have been and will continue to increase.
2 - Mitigate the effects of 1 by learning how to store food long term. No longer the brand of nut-jobs and fringe conspiracy theorists, storing food is a smart way to save money and be prepared for the unexpected.
3 - profit!?!
Thanks for sharing - I appreciate the link!!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM

866 posts, read 1,138,426 times
When did canned soup go up to $1.00 or more for a 10.25 oz can???
And why is there a shortage of Cream of Celery soup now that I am looking for it???

Don't tell me prices aren't going up, I can see it for myself...
Some of the prices may not have changed but the size of the package sure has shrunk...

Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,173,414 times
The prices definitely leaped this month, even at Walmart. Everyone's talking about the higher price of coffee, but I also saw it in mayonnaise (about 50% higher), bread, and some cold cut meats (I hope no food cops are reading this!)

One nice surprise was that bags of medium/large frozen shrimp became more affordable.

Sam Walton giveth, and Sam Walton taketh away. He's up there! Or maybe down there.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The prices definitely leaped this month, even at Walmart...
You really can't determine that "prices definitely leaped this month" without evaluating the basket of goods. Psychologically, we notice the prices that rise but not the ones that fall or stay the same.

Moreover, the p% of your budget matters too. As an example, if housing costs fall a little but coffee rises a lot, you are better off because housing is 25% of regular people's budgets, while coffee is minor.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 AM

8,054 posts, read 10,647,775 times
A factor that has not been mentioned here, is the subsidizing of the grocery market by the federal government, in the form of a huge increase in food stamps issued.

Not here to argue the moral/social factors about food stamps, but anytime the government subsidizes anything, the costs go up for those of us who are paying for it "out-of-pocket". The food companies don't care if those of us trying to stick to a budget bypass their rising prices. There are enough people being subsidized out there to take up the slack.

As usual, those at the top and bottom of the 'totem pole" reap the benefits. The average working people in the middle pay the tab.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,173,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
......Moreover, the p% of your budget matters too. As an example, if housing costs fall a little but coffee rises a lot, you are better off because housing is 25% of regular people's budgets, while coffee is minor.
So does that mean housing costs have fallen 25% for everyone? Woohooo! Someone forgot to tell my landlord, I'll have to call him today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living