Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM

224 posts, read 949,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Few things to think about: You can put put a antenna and pick up your local chans. Depending on how far you are from them,

Map it: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

Most Internet connection limit you to 200GB a month of bandwidth. If you go over watching to much hulu you will be hit with overage fees, or have to upgrade your internet connection. Hulu a 45m SD show will be around 250Mb HD run round 6GB/HR
I
We have Comcast, which has a cap of 250GB/month. We watch a couple hours of Netflix and other things (Hulu, etc) almost every day over the Roku in addition to our regular internet activities and we usually don't even come close to hitting the cap. Unless you watch A LOT of TV... you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 AM

25,452 posts, read 9,881,367 times
Hi Sweetelf. I can't recall at the moment. It was a "basket" antenna. Not sure what that means. It's fairly large, and is in our attic. We got it online. I wish I could remember what it was called. It wasn't one of the big ones that you get at Radio Shack though. I'll ask hubby.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM

25,452 posts, read 9,881,367 times
The antenna we use is Clearstream.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,984,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Few things to think about: You can put put a antenna and pick up your local chans. Depending on how far you are from them,

Map it: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

Most Internet connection limit you to 200GB a month of bandwidth. If you go over watching to much hulu you will be hit with overage fees, or have to upgrade your internet connection. Hulu a 45m SD show will be around 250Mb HD run round 6GB/HR
I
I stream Hulu and/or Netflix practically every day and have never come close to the 200GB threshold.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM

25,600 posts, read 56,628,989 times
Tired of $79/month for cable. Do get local stations plus another 50 or so on cable. No HDTV just yet. Still in the box. Just got a Roku with the idea of dropping cable, but may not be able to do it b/c virtually nothing in it is live. The streaming works very well, but we need to reset our router at least once a day, or we lose internet completely.

I watch CNBC/HGTV/LMN/Hallmark. I want real-time, not dvr'd versions of programs - especially CNBC. Roku won't provide that.

Will try an antenna. However, I watch virtually no local stations, so not sure that will help. But someone upthread said they got 60 stations. Hoping some of those I like will turn up.

Tired of $1000/yr cable bill. It's gotta go.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,812,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMermaid View Post
You can buy an amplified indoor HDTV antenna and pick up your local FREE HDTV channels. Just connect the coaxial cable from the antenna to your TV and place the antenna on the stand facing near a window for best results. I get over 60 channels and have never paid for cable.

WannaliveinGreenville:

Do you live near a lot of trees that may be blocking reception? How far do you live from the nearest TV tower?

Please tell me which shows you watch with the 60 channels...

Very intrigued!

I went to the Shack today and they had stuff in the $40-50ish range.

Can I get this cheaper (antenna) on Amazon or....?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM

212 posts, read 321,358 times
I"ve never owned a tv. The Net handles all my needs.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 PM

665 posts, read 629,971 times
Quote:
Please tell me which shows you watch with the 60 channels...
I get all my local channels (basically the alphabet networks and their secondary channels, plus TBS, CW, PBS, etc) religious channels, several foreign language channels (Spanish, Korean, Japanese, etc), music channels (LOTS of variety in genre and foreign language music), business and leisure channels, cooking channels; preview guide.... too many for me to watch. They play westerns and lifetime-esque type movies a lot.

Quote:
I went to the Shack today and they had stuff in the $40-50ish range.

Can I get this cheaper (antenna) on Amazon or....?
You'll have to pay more for the greater range. I got the "Antennas Direct High Gain HDTV Antenna Clearstream Micron with amplifier 25 mile range, max amp gain 20dB" from Best Buy. I am satisfied so far. I live a few miles from a large TV station, so my reception may not be typical to what you may receive. I could have upgraded to an antenna with greater range because some of my channels (not the major local channels), depending on which way the wind blows, loses a signal, but I'm fine with what I have. It sure beats paying for cable or satellite.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,961,792 times
I no longer own a tv.... after I pay $22/mth hs internet fee....

for news, hulu (not hulu plus) for movies and tv shows, as well as internet shows from CBS etc.

FREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
I"ve never owned a tv. The Net handles all my needs.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,405,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I watch CNBC/HGTV/LMN/Hallmark. I want real-time, not dvr'd versions of programs - especially CNBC. Roku won't provide that.
Unfortunately an antenna won't either. Two places broadcast TV falls way short are in the business and sports arenas. No CNBC or real-time CNBC-like service is available with an antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living