Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,659,982 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to catch up on Dexter episodes, which are only available on Netflix on discs (last season). Netflix just offered me a free month of DVD service - so I get to watch Dexter - woo hoo!

So, if any of you have Netflix, check on the DVD link and see if they offer you a month free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,708,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I don't get the appeal of Aereo. Why not just put a $50 antenna on the top of your house (or better, use a $10 pair of rabbit ears if you are near enough to the transmitters)?
A few advantages:
(1) Not everyone gets good antenna coverage
(2) Some people like to watch on their tablets and don't want to string coax through their house
(3) You get a cheap DVR service (up to 20 hours or 60 hours for extra $4 per month)
(4) You can pause Live TV

So if you have a 10 or fewer network TV shows per week that you like to watch, plus news weather and sports, Aereo is a good alternative.

TiVo is roughly $15/month plus you have to purchase the equipment. Aereo is only $8/month.

The court ruling in 2008 that cleared the way for Aereo to begin their company was about virtual DVR's and the defendent was a cable company. The cable company wanted to sell virtual DVR space, and the networks sued them for transmitting shows without paying a retransmission fee. The cable company won the case because they said that the users would have individual DVR equipment, so it would be essentially as if they were operating a DVR at home.

Although the cable company decided not to go ahead with their plans for virtual DVR's, Aereo took the concept and added "individual" antennas to create a new product. They won enough of the lawsuits to expand their concept across the country.

It does remain to be seen how successful this idea will become. However, if cable bills keep rising, then more people will opt for either antenna or Aereo plus Netflix, Redbox, or Hulu.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,431,286 times
I also got sick of paying Comcast/cable in our area, and all their extortion antics, and dropped it long ago. Have a great antennae that gets almost all local channels. Yes, you do need to spend time finding the best position in your home and then don't touch it. And even with that, I don't get ABC... not much of a loss. A couple of the "local" high number channels are actually 24 hr movie channels. Mostly old movies, but occasionally something surprising.

Then I use my local public library. It's free. They have everything. I have watched the Wire, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Louie etc.. and tons of movies. And I watch them on my own time. Rarely, when I just couldn't wait to watch the next series of Breaking Bad, I bought it from Amazon to stream. I still feel a little foolish for not waiting on that one....

Strangely enough, using the library I watch more TV now (because I binge when I get a new disc because these shows are so good), but it's much better quality and I really enjoy it. Then I don't watch anything.... Even better.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,696,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I just joined Netflix and Hulu Plus this week. I have a credit with Dish Network but when that is up I am canceling Dish. My question is, I can I watch current shows such as Revenge when it comes back on next season? Or will I have to wait until the next day to watch the latest episode?
Many shows are available for viewing the next day with Hulu Plus. Some shows are available a month after they air. Psyche does this as do others. Some shows you will have to watch on their networks website. CBS does this with some shows including The Good Wife. Or you could just wait for the DVD to come out a few months later and watch the entire season in a few days.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically neither runs shows that are network shows in same season. Not just one day behind but often a season or two behind as they by the rights later from networks. For original content Netflix can't be beat as its only one doing it now that I know of. They also are spending huge sums on other content in deals.
Hulu Plus DOES air shows the day after they have aired on their networks. They are not a season or two behind. Hulu DOES have original content as well. Netflix has been losing networks left and right. I just lost about 15 documentaries I wanted to watch. You do get 7 days notice they are leaving if you online to your account. It's not as easy to view from your cue on your tv.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I don't get the appeal of Aereo. Why not just put a $50 antenna on the top of your house (or better, use a $10 pair of rabbit ears if you are near enough to the transmitters)?
Because that wouldn't work where many people live myself included. The closet "big" city to me is over 30 miles away over mountains, through valleys, and over several lakes. I'm also in a valley. The only thing we get from the big city here is their snow and tourists.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I have no intents of getting either Hulu or Netflix, but am curious about something.

I've been trying to get some online sport sites to work (to watch the Seattle Mariner's games which we no longer get because our cable decided not to carry ROOT Sports any longer) but cannot get any of them to work.
Would either Hulu or Netflix carry the games in my area?
Hulu and Netflix don't stream anything live. Neither carries sporting events.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,546,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just went to the Seattle Mariners website, and they link to MLB.TV. It looks like they DO stream their games:

The Official Site of The Seattle Mariners | Mariners.com: Homepage
Thanks. However, I live within the Mariners broadcast area so suffer with blackout. I know this for a fact since today MLB.TV offered the Mariners game for free and I could not get it. I hate this stupid blackout rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Hulu and Netflix don't stream anything live. Neither carries sporting events.
Thanks.

This is what I really wanted to know.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,066,405 times
Get someone else out of the Black-out area to sign up with there credit card to MLB.tv , I'm sure they use the billing zipcode to figure out the black out area.

If they are picking up your ISP, you can use a proxy server outside the black area. There are free ones, but they would not be good for streaming. There are some for ~10/month.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,546,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Get someone else out of the Black-out area to sign up with there credit card to MLB.tv , I'm sure they use the billing zipcode to figure out the black out area.

If they are picking up your ISP, you can use a proxy server outside the black area. There are free ones, but they would not be good for streaming. There are some for ~10/month.
Thanks. I'll check out proxy servers.

I've done a lot of reading on mlb.tv and most is not complimentary. I seriously would hate to give my money to a company I am in disagreement with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living