Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM

19,234 posts, read 27,874,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Okay, it's about that time to dump cable.

I pay 40 bucks a month just for the 10 local channels and then $60 a month for the high speed internet...It's ridiculous and its time...

And did I mention HULU Plus is $7.99 a month?

So here is my dilema.

I LOVE the idea of all these HULU shows you can get but...

I actually like watching the local news every day.

That's the ONLY thing I would miss when I dump cable. It's the one thing that connects me to what's going on outside...

Otherwise, I really dig being able to watch stuff like: One Step Beyond, tons of old like : Lost in Space, lol!

So what do you suggest to watch local news? Watch it on the computer?

Does anyone here have HULU and what do you like or dislike about it?

OBTW: I am keeping the high speed internet. That is critical for my work...
Don't
I have Netflix and it sucks; I looked into HULU, ran free trial, and it sucked also. Mof, there is so little to watch on Netflix, that I am considering dumping it.
Get a Roku. Roku will give you plenty of free channels, as in - free. Including ton of you know what. Small investment up front. Roku is now only around $50. But you have to have high speed internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,889,787 times
So if you get Roku do you still have to pay extra to get Netflix? How do you watch the news, like CNN? The main things I want are CNN and a local channel for news and a few channels like History International. I don't want to watch the news a few days late--I want it live.

It looks like I'd still have to subscribe to the lowest cable package so that I can get internet and that comes with a few channels (PBS, networks, and junk). So I add Roku and then what? It's confusing.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,387,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So if you get Roku do you still have to pay extra to get Netflix? How do you watch the news, like CNN? The main things I want are CNN and a local channel for news and a few channels like History International. I don't want to watch the news a few days late--I want it live.

It looks like I'd still have to subscribe to the lowest cable package so that I can get internet and that comes with a few channels (PBS, networks, and junk). So I add Roku and then what? It's confusing.
Roku will only let you "listen" to some of the CNN shows and they are 24 hours old. You used to be able to go online CNN.com and watch live up until 3 PM in the afternoon. However, I think all the news stations stopped doing that. You can see little short clips, but not whole shows.

You can watch whole shows on line one day old on MSNBC or watch Morning Joe for the current day, but since it comes on at 6AM, it's as good as one day old news. I watch that online sometimes.

Go on CNN.com and see what they have.

Roku is a piece of equipment you plug into your tv. Netflix is the programing package you sign up for.
Similar to a TV = (equipment) and Cox Cable = (programing) It is through the Roku Box you get access to not only Netflix but lots of other programing options (including a News Channel)

If you can get local TV through an indoor or outdoor antenna, then why pay for it with the Cable Company? Go to TV Fool and put in your address and put in 8 ft for your antenna height and look at the green column and check out the distance you are from the different tv stations. Even with a good indoor antenna (Mohu Leaf) placed in your window, you can pick up stations 25 miles away. More than that, you should get an outdoor antenna put up (or even on a patio) Why pay for something that is free. Local TV will get you, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and a bunch of other smaller stations. (No cable stations of course)

Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Thanks, that helps, sort of. I did try that experiment one time to see if I would be able to get any channels with an antenna and the answer is No. I don't live within 25 miles of a tv channel.

The main reason I have cable (and the few silly channels I can get with it) is to get internet. The total is about $50/month. I would like to get a few decent tv channels like CNN but it sounds impossible unless I want stale news and that defeats the purpose. I see no point in someone like myself getting Roku--I want current news and with cable that would be another $100 to the monthly bill.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,085,594 times
I have Ruko, There is a CNN International feed, FoxNews during the day, FBN (Fox Biz news). BBC 24x7 news (The BBC verison of CNN). I saw CNBC & MSNBC in the list, but have never looked at them.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I have Ruko, There is a CNN International feed, FoxNews during the day, FBN (Fox Biz news). BBC 24x7 news (The BBC verison of CNN). I saw CNBC & MSNBC in the list, but have never looked at them.
BBC news would be good enough. CNN International feed too. As long as the news is live and not a day or two old, it would be okay. Thank you.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,704,732 times
I found this site online. Says you can watch streaming live games for free:

VIPBox - Live Sports Live Streams - Sports On Demand Online For Free

I tried to figure out where they're located, but couldn't tell. The .eu would make one assume they're in Europe, but I did a whois.com search, and their name and address isn't listed, but the phone numbers looked like US numbers.

Anyway, it did list the Mariners, so maybe it's worth a try.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,548,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I found this site online. Says you can watch streaming live games for free:

VIPBox - Live Sports Live Streams - Sports On Demand Online For Free

I tried to figure out where they're located, but couldn't tell. The .eu would make one assume they're in Europe, but I did a whois.com search, and their name and address isn't listed, but the phone numbers looked like US numbers.

Anyway, it did list the Mariners, so maybe it's worth a try.

Thanks. However, I have already looked into - and tried - this and nothing came of it except headaches and malware!

I can't really be sure it was this site or one of the other few that I tried downloading. All I got was constant downloads of ads and more ads. For over 30 minutes at one point.
My son had a blast removing all the crap.

We thought he got it all, but just the other day I started noticing that certain words on CD posts were blue hyperlinks that brought up annoying ads when scrolled over. I dared not click on any of them.
Yup, my son found more crap and got rid of all of it for good.

Now, I guess I will just continue to watch my Mariners "on the radio". I have a very good imagination and actually enjoy radio games... just enjoy watching games even more.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 9,209 times
Yes, I would love to know which antennas you have had the most success? I dumped paid tv two years ago and honestly do not miss it, except for the news.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:54 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,373,981 times
I tried the "leaf" type antennas and they were okay, but the best antennas that I have tried are the ones I made. It costs about $3-5 to make one, or less if you already have all the materials.

YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna!

Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna! - YouTube

Then I made reflectors to gather more signal and reflect it towards the antenna. The reflectors are rectangular pieces of cardboard, as big or bigger than the antenna, with aluminum foil taped over one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living