Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times

Advertisements

Agree with the others who say shop for different car insurance and get rid of the pet.

You have $131 left over each month. At least you're not digging the hole any deeper - take $100 and pay off the CC's as fast as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Can you make a deal with the landlord to do some maintenance-y things you can handle for money off the rent? Like a little yardwork, or re-caulking the showers and tubs? These things aren't hard to do, and yet they are labor intensive so cost a lot to hire out.

If you're depressed I hesitate getting rid of the pet -- often pets are a lifeline. I can't imagine my life without my cats.

What I'm not sure of -- do you need the car? I couldn't quite suss that out. If you don't, turn it back in. Sure, your credit will take a hit, but who cares?

Eating cheap doesn't mean eating bad -- it does sometimes mean not going to your local big grocery store. Check out small local ethnic groceries -- sometimes the produce there is really cheap.

And for cleaning supplies? Stick with cheap vinegar and baking soda..... there's no need for a ton of different cleaning supplies...

Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Your car payment is extremely high relative to your income.

At the very least, you should look into what you could get if you sold it and then use a portion of that to buy something used.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I don't see anywhere you can cut. I doubt that any cut in car expenses is possible. Refinancing your car is probably not a good idea, and you wouldn't save that much. I'm sure the car insurance you carry is required by the lien holder on the car, and is prudent and wise. You could cut expense if you got rid of the dog, but I would totally understand if it is important companionship. The result is that I think you are pretty much at your limit on expenses.

You say you work 40 hrs a week. I don't know if this is all you can handle, but I think the best solution is to up the income. Possilble suggestions. Can you sell blood or plasma? How about food stamps or rental assistance. Your income seems like it might get you close to that area, but I certainly don't know the laws in Florida. Maybe a part time job. How about moving in with family. IN the future, I think a lot more people than you will be forced to move in with others to save on housing heat and other utility expenses.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
Yeah, that's $100 a month for auto. I live in Florida and car insurance is outrageous here. I have to have full coverage since the car isn't paid off yet.
We also live in FL and have full coverage for a new car (2011) that we still make payments on for another couple of years. Our insurance, however, is only $294 for six months. Perhaps you could search for a less expensive insurance company.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Prescription drugs $35.00

My take-home pay is $1300.00. That includes my health insurance. Is there anything I can "shave off" here?
To eliminate the $35/month on prescription drugs, you may wish to use the free clinic where exams, tests, and meds are 100% free. To eligible for the service in FL, a single person's income cannot be more than $21,780/year. Based on your numbers, you would not have any problem qualify. Free clinic in FL is a very good quality public service and its business hours (in the evenings) are probably more convenient for you.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 02-05-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 03:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Agree with the others who say shop for different car insurance and get rid of the pet.

You have $131 left over each month. At least you're not digging the hole any deeper - take $100 and pay off the CC's as fast as you can.
That's just your projection. Champs, stop projecting on her.

She says she is depressed. The pet might be her only let-off. That cannot go. Could be like a family member. Is that hard to understand?

OP, keep the pet. Get more efficient with groceries, and what others said on insurance. And find a good boyfriend who can take you out on dates and pay for you. If he's a good dude, love will develop and he'll take care of you. Simple

If you are of the church type, some churches have Sunday buffet. Go in once a week and load up.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Rent $370.00
Auto Ins. $100.00
Gas $60.00
interne $19.99
Groceries/pet supplies $240.00
credit card #1 (min. payment) $21.00
credit card #2 (min payment) $25.00
Prescription drugs $35.00
car ]$ 297.40

Total $1,168.39

Here is my monthly budget. My take-home pay is $1300.00. That includes my health insurance. I am miserable and can't afford to move. I work 40 hours a week, am older and not in good enough health to work a 2nd job right now. The car won't be paid off for 2.5 years. I owe $1500 total in cc's, but don't use them anymore. Is there anything I can "shave off" here? Should I refinance the car? Live on less groceries? It's just myself. I still want to be able to eat healhty. I am very depressed. Obviously, I don't buy clothes or anything like that. I can't.
Not much. First thing's first. I'd ask for a raise. Second thing, I'd indeed find a second job working the weekend. Nothing too taxing. Perhaps eight additional hours. That should get you a few hundred dollars.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Don't get rid of your pet. Life is too short to be all alone. I'm sure you could find a cheaper car insurance. Check out Progressive. They are always advertising they can save anyone money. Did you buy the car brand new? Maybe "Ol Wanderer" would share the name of his car insurance company.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 02-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-05-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Don't get rid of your pet. Life is too short to be all alone. I'm sure you could find a cheaper car insurance. Check out Progressive. They are always advertising they can save anyone money. Did you buy the car brand new? Maybe "Ol Wanderer" would share the name of his car insurance company.
That's the thing about car insurance companies, the same one that is good for one person is not good for another. There was a thread sometimes ago about that, and when I said ours was Geico, many people commented that Geico's rate is too high. However, Geico has always been the least inexpensive company for us. IMO, $49/m for full coverage on a brand new car is pretty good deal.

My advice to the OP would be just ask for a quote from every company, no matter what other people said about the company, and make your own decision based on the numbers.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 02-05-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living