Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

After thinking about it, I did think of some ways you could save on auto expense. Check your deductables. The higher your deductables, the lower your cost. Call your agent and see what higher deductables would save you. Second idea would be to try some car pooling with other employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
That's just your projection. Champs, stop projecting on her.

She says she is depressed. The pet might be her only let-off. That cannot go. Could be like a family member. Is that hard to understand?

OP, keep the pet. Get more efficient with groceries, and what others said on insurance. And find a good boyfriend who can take you out on dates and pay for you. If he's a good dude, love will develop and he'll take care of you. Simple

If you are of the church type, some churches have Sunday buffet. Go in once a week and load up.
yes, find a boyfriend lol

Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
You should be able to cut down on groceries. I would think you could cut about $100 off that bill. Fruits and veggies are usually reasonably priced in Florida and are available year-round. Stick to eating basic food - rice, pasta, fresh fruit, fresh or frozen veggies, beans, chicken, eggs, etc. Learn how to cook if you don't already. Go to allrecipes.com and look for entrees to make. Freeze some for future use so you don't have to cook when you get home from work.

Look around your home - what do you not use any more that would have worth to someone else? List it on Craigslist. Or hold a one-day yard sale. Or bring books to a used book store for cash. This can turn into a side job if you enjoy it.

I know you said you don't want a second job, but since you have a pet (a dog?), perhaps you can type up a flyer and put it around your neighborhood that you are available for pet walking/feeding when neighbors go on vacation or away for the day. This is easy income, especially if you enjoy pets and have to walk yours anyway.

Someone mentioned carpooling. Similar to that is if you already have the car, maybe there is someone at work who does not or who takes the bus who would be willing to pay you gas money for you to pick them up.

Try to accelerate those credit card payments. Once they are gone, it will free up some of your money. (Although, you should have some "emergency" money, too.)

Good luck to you!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times
Sell the car and get a moped/scooter for 1200 bucks. Cheap gas, insurance, and no payment.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I think the pet walking idea is great - also posting things on Craig's list. A year ago I made $165 for a couple things that had been just sitting in my attic. A rocking chair and some cross country skis and something else I can't even remember. Funny how when you finally do get rid of something you don't use, you never miss it.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,715 times
Default saving money

I know how hard it is to exist on little money. please ,I don't know you but try not to let it get to you. Here are some ideas feel free to use what looks viable& practical
1 I use the internet at my library- i don't pay for anything unless I make copies i haven't had the net for years
so I don't have fees for its use.
2. Call your Credit card companies -see if you can get the interest amount lowered & if combining them is possible( if you'll save any money by doing that)Sometimes you can call and ask- they might do it for you
3Prescription Drugs- See if your doctor will give you free samples for awhile,
check if you can use generics, see if the company will send you free meds for a year. Sometimes if you write directly to them with your situation they'll do it. I have seen on the internet a site called coupon divas.com ( i think thats correct) they actually had coupons that were worth 70% off prescriptions. friends were using them at the Walmart in the area - You need to copy the coupon and ask at your pharmacy, ( bring the coupon with you so they can see the coupon 'barcode'
4. Groceries. i shop the dollar store, Then Alde's. i also use coupons. My coworkers and i also share coupons with each other. Many churches can connect you to food pantries and shelters. in my area they provide a great resource for food- Also check on the net to see if there is a Project Angel Food' in your area and if it is a good deal for you. in the summer my coworkers and i check out the farms in the area we pick food and then share it with each other. We freeze lots of it from the summer( we're still enjoying blueberries!!!! i have learned to eat foods in season and use the net to create new recipes i have made cauliflower soup from the veggie on sale -i bought it @ 3 for $1.00. i froze the soup because there was so much of it- it also made a very good and healthy gravy base for chicken - What a good way to add a veggie in my diet!!( check cheapskate sites on the net-they are very helpful to give you ways to save on just about everything.)

Clothing- I shop at Goodwill and get the items that are 50% off the special color of the day. Barter with others if you can- find someone that has the same size and do a clothing switch. my sewing skills have improved greatly. When i need help, i barter with a friend, she sews for me I do a craft with her children. Everyone is happy!!!
Don't lose heart
Many people are in your situation- you are not alone
I hope that these tips are helpful:}

Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
i agree with the others who say do NOT get rid of your pet. take your monthly grocery bill and shave $10 a week off of it(at least). anything you can live without, don't buy. and then get a cheaper car insurance policy. use the money you save and up your credit card payments. eventually, you won't have the credit card payments. $1500 debt is not that much. i was in $5,500 debt in october, and with some careful buedgeting, i will be paying the rest of it off this month!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 AM

505 posts, read 716,476 times
I agree with others, don't give up. I live on a little more, but pay my own health insurance.

I continually try to drop everything I can by 5-10%. I go by Amy Dacycn of the Tightwad Gazette, to drop everything back until it feels like deprivision and then bump it up a notch. It seems to help to help me to keep careful records of every expenditure. Dividing out what you spend on the dog for instance was a eye opener to me. Way too many treats Now he gets a couple a day. I also feed him extra veggies(usually frozen peas and carrots) and just the amount of dry food he is supposed to have. He is back down to the weight his breed is supposed to be. The vet and groomer(a couple of times a year vs 4x previously, my arthritis just won't let me clip him etc) both have commented on how good he looks. I have been working on dropping my own food consumtion 5-10% too and get myself down a bit in weight.

I would try to decrease your gas bill just 5-10%. Maybe try no driving once a week. I aim for at least one stay at home day a week. I really like to get at least two and this week it will probably be 3. I no longer work, but when I did I tried to make Sat. my stay at home day.

I hear you about not wanting to work more than 40 hours.

paying off those credit cards, which will take some doing, would sure free up some money for other areas.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
You might check and see how much they are taking out of your check for health insurance. If it is a big chunk, you could go without. I know grown adults that do. ITs a risk, but some people take it. If you go to an emergency room, they still have to treat you, even if you have no money. Its the law. Where it can turn bad is if you have cancer or need surgery because of a chronic problem. Then you could be SOL.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
You might check and see how much they are taking out of your check for health insurance. If it is a big chunk, you could go without. I know grown adults that do. ITs a risk, but some people take it. If you go to an emergency room, they still have to treat you, even if you have no money. Its the law. Where it can turn bad is if you have cancer or need surgery because of a chronic problem. Then you could be SOL.
As mentioned in my comment earlier, it would be beneficial for the OP to use the free clinic service instead of paying for her medical insurance, especially in FL where the service is of very good quality. Based on the numbers she provided in her post, her salary is well below the maximum income requirement to qualify for the free clinic.

Unlike emergency room, free clinic can be used as a long-term medical care, with or without chronic problems. It is 100% free for all the works involved -- exams, tests, and meds. Unlike emergency rooms, she would be cared for by the same doctor or the same couple of doctors on the staff. It's just like going to her own doctors, except she doesn't have to pay the premium, deductible, and co-pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living