Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times

Advertisements

I started the similar 59oz OJ thread here a while back.

To me, this practice of making packages smaller and smaller seems deceptive. It's a way for food manufacturers to increase the cost of a product without marking the price up on the supermarket shelf.

Ice Cream was one of the first products I noticed. I remember when it was sold in half-gallon containers. Now ice cream is some weird amount of ounces somewhere between 1 quart and 1 half gallon. Fortunately, I no longer eat ice cream (or other junk foods) ... so this isn't much of an issue to me personally.

One thing that does get affected is meal recipes. When your recipe calls for a certain quantity of an item (ex: 16 ounces), and you now need to buy two packages of that item, because it now is being sold in 13 ounce packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I prefer the smaller packages. I do NOT need an 18 oz package of Ritz crackers that will be stale long before I get a chance to use them all.
same, but i've definitely noticed and been annoyed by the higher prices

Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And I remember when the one scoop cones were 10 cents (and when the minimum wage was $2.05/hr).

And when you received five sticks of gum for five cents.

I remember when McDonald's had their ice cream cones for 39 cents, and when the 2 hamburger value meal was $2.99.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
don't buy much pakaged food but noticed they cut another 3/4 inches off a roll of toilet paper. now it fits sloppy in the holder and goes side to side. now that's sneaky

Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
don't buy much pakaged food but noticed they cut another 3/4 inches off a roll of toilet paper. now it fits sloppy in the holder and goes side to side. now that's sneaky
I noticed that with Scott (sliding side to side), but not with Angel Soft. That one stayed the same.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I'm not ticked off by the smaller sizes. I'm ticked off by the insult to my intelligence by those who think I might not notice. That I might not wonder why prime numbers like 7 and 11 and 14 mysteriously became the ounce-measure standards of product packaging.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm not ticked off by the smaller sizes. I'm ticked off by the insult to my intelligence by those who think I might not notice. That I might not wonder why prime numbers like 7 and 11 and 14 mysteriously became the ounce-measure standards of product packaging.
Wait, you lost me here (I'm math-challenged). Why are the prime numbers meaningful?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM

39 posts, read 91,358 times
this kind of issue really cracks me up. Just the other day I stopped into the market. In the cereal isle was a huge sign pointing to a certain brand, stating "new lower price"! I pick it up and say out loud, "uh, no it's not". Standing near me was a store employee. He argued with me that yes, indeed the boxes are now a lower price. But the price per ounce had risen and the size of the box is smaller. "Well, you're not supposed to notice that"!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Well, I heard that many companies want to switch their packages to pouches. Soups and such, as example. It would be really hard to visualize a pouch vs can. And then there will be extra air space to "keep it fresh"... yeah, right.
Kitchen staples from Campbell Soup Co. and H.J. Heinz Co. will be joining other consumer products in pouches this year. The trend is being driven by savings on packaging and shipping costs as well as aesthetics – an upscale pouch sporting elaborate graphics offers a modernized look and premium appeal, marketers say.The technology used in stand up pouches has also improved, giving food nearly double the shelf life.
Switching to food pouch packaging made easier by partnership

Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Wait, you lost me here (I'm math-challenged). Why are the prime numbers meaningful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's right: before it was 8oz, 12oz, and 16oz now its 7 or even 5.5oz, 11oz, and 14oz... but, hey! Lots of people don't have that kind of elementary knowledge in math...
Many foreigners come from a metric system, and they too have hard time to convert.
It comes together with 4 for $11, or 3 for $7 etc. I see it a lot in stores where the poor and uneducated live. I guess, they assume that no one can do this kind of math in the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living