Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM

313 posts, read 450,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I stopped at ta local supermarket after work today to pick up a few items and could not believe how small a box of Ritz crackers has gotten. I didn't notice the actual size, but it was so ridiculously small that I put it back and will go without. The smaller soda bottles, ice cream, potato chips, cereal boxes, and 59 oz orange juices have been ticking me off for a while now. Which food items have you noticed that have just gotten to be beyond ridiculous?
Yes, I have noticed it, too. I bought a favorite liquid soap from a store recently and the bottle has shrunk several ounces. But that's what happens when the economy tanks, and much of that has to be blamed on gas prices, too. When gas inflates it isn't just OUR pocketbooks that feel it, but all the businesses and services that we need.

I'm okay with smaller packaging for some things. Other things, I'd prefer that they just raise the prices a bit. Depends on what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
But I'm embarrassed to admit I just noticed the 5lb bag of sugar is now 4lbs. And this has been a fact for a few years now. lol
I'm right there with you. But I never buy sugar (don't use it), so that's why I never look.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
I went on vacation with my girlfriend and her toothpaste was almost empty. So she cut the tube in half to get the last little bit. When she showed me the insde of the toothpaste tube we were both shocked. There was a much smaller tube (that held the actual toothpast) inside the outer tube. So shadey!

Really? Interesting................when my tube runs out I will have to check that out.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

For the ice cream, there are a few brands that are still 1/2 gallon, but they're mostly the store brands. (and the container is like a square brick that tears easily too)

Oh wow, I remember those square, brickish ones. You opened one of the smaller sides and had to scoop from there.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Most of the items, I noticed but it didn't bother me too much..

except

CAKE MIXES ! grrrrr....the amount in a box now doesn't make anywhere near a nice two layer cake. Of course - the picture on the box still shows a "regular" looking two layer cake, but when I baked one the other day, the batter barely coverd the bottom of the two cake pans.

Plus I have a bunch of Wilton cake pans I like to pull out when nieces/nephews come to visit. Holiday shapes and whatenot ( a Christmas tree, Jack O lantern) It's fun for the kids to decorate (icing and hard candies) Anyway - the pans are made to be used with a "standard cake mix" or what used to be considered standard. Very annoying!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post

except

CAKE MIXES ! grrrrr....the amount in a box now doesn't make anywhere near a nice two layer cake. Of course - the picture on the box still shows a "regular" looking two layer cake, but when I baked one the other day, the batter barely coverd the bottom of the two cake pans.

Plus I have a bunch of Wilton cake pans I like to pull out when nieces/nephews come to visit. Holiday shapes and whatenot ( a Christmas tree, Jack O lantern) It's fun for the kids to decorate (icing and hard candies) Anyway - the pans are made to be used with a "standard cake mix" or what used to be considered standard. Very annoying!

It's not that much harder to mix cake batter from scratch!

Browse Recipes

Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post

except

Bake from scratch. If you don't like the texture of the cake with all purpose flour, find cake flour. It's a finer milled, lower gluten, lower protein flour. My favorite flours are King Arthur Flours -- and their cake flour is Queen Guinevere... available online.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's not that much harder to mix cake batter from scratch!

Browse Recipes
Well, actaully I do back from scratch, I'd say boxed cake mix and the odd batch of slice and bake cookies (again for the kids) are pretty much the only processed foods I buy.

The kids are very young and using the boxed mix makes it easier - the directions are pretty simple, ie - pictures of three eggs and the masurings cups, etc... So the whole process is done before they lose atttention. Plus sometimes the cake is for a birthday(one of the adults or aunt or uncle - these are for "family parties", it kinda gets them involved in getting things ready for the party.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Bake from scratch. If you don't like the texture of the cake with all purpose flour, find cake flour. It's a finer milled, lower gluten, lower protein flour. My favorite flours are King Arthur Flours -- and their cake flour is Queen Guinevere... available online.
I'd always considered myself a pretty good baker.... then about 6 years ago, I ran out of flour and the local Mom and Pop only stocked the "King" and "Queen". I bought some and made a loaf of banana bread - never went back to Pillsbury or House brands again.

Cake mixes are one of the very few things where the size adjustment affected me. I don't buy prepackaged cookies/chips/crackers except maybe when we are having a party. I buy fresh fruits and vegatables at our local Sprouts or the Farmers market so I don't ever really buy canned goods (soups I make from scratch).

Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
But I'm embarrassed to admit I just noticed the 5lb bag of sugar is now 4lbs. And this has been a fact for a few years now. lol
Curious!
I just bought a 5# bag of Domino sugar. Even the store brand is 5#.

I wonder why they downsized sugar in some areas of the country but not in others??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living