Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times

Advertisements

I stopped at ta local supermarket after work today to pick up a few items and could not believe how small a box of Ritz crackers has gotten. I didn't notice the actual size, but it was so ridiculously small that I put it back and will go without. The smaller soda bottles, ice cream, potato chips, cereal boxes, and 59 oz orange juices have been ticking me off for a while now. Which food items have you noticed that have just gotten to be beyond ridiculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,488 times
You forgot to add they also cost more! I waiting to go pick up milk, and have the carton say its Almost a gallon. Have you also noticed how many servings are listed on a small-ish item? I bought a little micro frozen chinese meal, and couldnt believe it said it was 2+ servings. But on the outside lable, it said it was a complete meal. They use this trick with "low-fat" food stuff also. Its not truly lower in fat, its just a smaller serving. I guess they think we're overweight and stupid.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I guess they think we're overweight and stupid.
It's not that they *think* that. It's because they know that. Market research has shown that people are generally overweight and stupid. Most people don't pay attention or even care about this kind of stuff.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Personally, I prefer the smaller packages. I do NOT need an 18 oz package of Ritz crackers that will be stale long before I get a chance to use them all.

All packaging has the net weight or fluid ounces clearly identified on the packaging and many shelving units include the cost per ounce making price comparisons very simple.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I stopped at ta local supermarket after work today to pick up a few items and could not believe how small a box of Ritz crackers has gotten. I didn't notice the actual size, but it was so ridiculously small that I put it back and will go without. The smaller soda bottles, ice cream, potato chips, cereal boxes, and 59 oz orange juices have been ticking me off for a while now. Which food items have you noticed that have just gotten to be beyond ridiculous?
I rarely, if ever eat ice cream. I had this craving after not having it for over a year at least. I got a half gallon of Breyers, and it looked tiny. It turns out it was not a half gallon anymore, only 48 ounces.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Our grocery stores have unit prices for everything (maybe it's a NJ thing). This way you can always compare what you pay for items and chart how the prices change. My parents have been doing this on their computers since 1981. It's funny because they can tell you the unit price of what they paid for icecream before and after every presidential term.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-20-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Our grocery stores have unit prices for everything (maybe it's a NJ thing). This way you can always compare what you pay for items and chart how the prices change. My parents have been doing this on their computers since 1981. It's funny because they can tell you the unit price of what they paid for icecream before and after every presidential term.
Their data would make a great book! Especially if it included pictures of the packages.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Look at the price per ounce on those flat packages of tuna. WAY up there!

Then one budget "TV dinner" (forget brand) had TWO TABLESPOONS of food inside!

The other TV dinners don't have enough food to even be an appetizer. The "family dinners" will fill me up (one person).

If they keep shrinking things, eventually they will sell things like one cracker, one teaspoon of tuna, and spice container size soda pop!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I prefer the smaller packages. I do NOT need an 18 oz package of Ritz crackers that will be stale long before I get a chance to use them all.

I agree with this and feel the same way, but wish the prices were also smaller.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I agree with this and feel the same way, but wish the prices were also smaller.
And I remember when the one scoop cones were 10 cents (and when the minimum wage was $2.05/hr).

And when you received five sticks of gum for five cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living