Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It took me a few seconds, but I did figure it out. It does shoe $1.50 for cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I never realized how seriously people take extra cheese.
LOL. I don't. Just got drawn in by people who can't read thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Try clicking on the "Add To Order" button located on the far right of the menu screen.

No offense but, try to figure something out before you accuse people of having an ulterior motive. Thanks.
Ok, sorry to have offended. Thank you.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I bought a sandwich at Subway today and ordered "extra cheese". That is 2 slices of cheese cut diagonal to make 4 small slices.

Then they charged me $1.50 for the extra cheese!

I won't do that again.

I rarely eat out. The last time I went there I think it was 50 or 75 cents for extra cheese - a more reasonable price.

I stopped buying soda pop at fast food restaurants a LONG time ago because it tasted watered down and twice the price of convenience stores.
Thanks to Stratford's link to the online menu ... the answer is that it is .75 for extra cheese on a 6" sub, and 1.50 for extra cheese on a footlong.

Makes sense to me.

Yes it is a lot more expensive than buying cheese yourself at a supermarket, but you are paying for the convenience of having a restaurant purchase and prepare your food for you.

The restaurant also stores the cheese in their own refrigerator, and they make certain that the cheese is fresh on the day you come in. Again ... extra costs incurred by the restaurant.

If you truly want cheaper food ... then I recommend eating at home, and also preparing your own meals to take with you.

That is what I do the majority of the time, and it saves me a lot of money on food.

I always value shop for the best food prices, so I rarely pay too much for any type of food.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-08-2012 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Fully agree.

Eat at home and save money.

Take home-prepared food with you when you go out. Get a portable nylon cooler with a freezer pack.

Wait for sales at your supermarket, and read your weekly supermarket sale ads.

There is a supermarket near me that puts nearly the exact same foods on sale one week each month, so I just wait for the particular sale week to buy certain foods, such as boneless/skinless chicken breast for $1.39/lb, and tomatoes for .33/lb. Then I stock up for entire month, and have enough until the following month's sale.

Regarding extra cheese ... do yourself a favor, and eat less cheese. It's loaded with fat.

See this: Don't Say Cheese: Cheese Is Number-One Source of Artery-Clogging Fat in American Diet

If you do need extra food on a Subway sandwich, add more veggies. Double up on the spinach leaves, cucumbers, and bell peppers.
33 cents/pound for tomatoes? You can't even convince a neighbor to give you his extra tomatoes from his garden for that cheap. The going rate for "vine ripened" (most assuredly GMO) tomatoes is $2.99/pound here. Same with "tomatoes on the vine" (also probably GMO). The ones they claim are "hothouse" tomatoes, are around that much, and local grown beefsteaks that are pulled off the vine DAYS before they're even close to being ripe run $1.99-2.49/pound.

There's a produce store here in town, and their beefsteak tomatoes always run less expensive. By less expensive though, I don't mean 33 cents/pound. I mean $1.49/pound. The other tomatoes they offer are usually $1.99/pound.

The only way you can get 33-cent tomatoes here is to grow them yourself. But the top soil, fertilizer, and marigolds to keep the bugs away will probably cost you more than 33-cents per tomato.

ON TOPIC: I'm not all that fond of Subway subs, but for $5 it's a cheap and filling supper for my husband. And since I don't actually -dislike- it, but merely "not especially like it," I can tolerate a 6" once a week. I don't ask for extra cheese, neither does my husband. So it doesn't really matter how much extra they charge, they won't be getting it from us.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
33 cents/pound for tomatoes? You can't even convince a neighbor to give you his extra tomatoes from his garden for that cheap. The going rate for "vine ripened" (most assuredly GMO) tomatoes is $2.99/pound here. Same with "tomatoes on the vine" (also probably GMO). The ones they claim are "hothouse" tomatoes, are around that much, and local grown beefsteaks that are pulled off the vine DAYS before they're even close to being ripe run $1.99-2.49/pound.

There's a produce store here in town, and their beefsteak tomatoes always run less expensive. By less expensive though, I don't mean 33 cents/pound. I mean $1.49/pound. The other tomatoes they offer are usually $1.99/pound.

The only way you can get 33-cent tomatoes here is to grow them yourself. But the top soil, fertilizer, and marigolds to keep the bugs away will probably cost you more than 33-cents per tomato.
Here in San Diego, our tomatoes are typically .50 per lb at our local swap meet (Kobeys), or .50 per lb or less at Carnival Supermarket.

See this ad: Weekly Ad « Carnival Supermarket

Carnival Supermarket often has sales on Roma tomatoes for .33 per lb, so I wait for the sale, and stock up.

One of the main reasons it may be a lot cheaper here, is some of our fresh produce may come from Mexico.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It is very wrong of you to tell me what my experience was at Subway. I was at this cheapskate store for the first time with my husband. Believe me, I do not exaggerate.

We smiled and told them we were happy that the store was there. We no longer live in the area, but it was in the Shop Rite mini mall, 8th street, Passaic, N.J. We received such lousy service that we never went back. When we were there we noticed that people were just walking in for take out morning coffee. Nobody - nobody - ordered any food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

You sound as though you may be a part of the chain. I hope so. If these stores are as good as you say someone should take the franchise away from the creeps who run this store since they are clearly ruining your reputation.

I am not saying that the people there seem unfriendly, but they have NO CLUE as to how to run a business.
Okay, I believe you....sorry! .....

Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

ON TOPIC: I'm not all that fond of Subway subs, but for $5 it's a cheap and filling supper for my husband. And since I don't actually -dislike- it, but merely "not especially like it," I can tolerate a 6" once a week. I don't ask for extra cheese, neither does my husband. So it doesn't really matter how much extra they charge, they won't be getting it from us.
In NJ, you can get Jersey tomatoes almost free certain times of the year.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 AM

469 posts, read 913,300 times
Subway lost me as a customer years ago. They allowed themselves to become the low end fast food chain of the sub world. They are light on the ingredients, quality and style.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
I always get extra-extra tomato and have never been charged extra - at at least a dozen different Subways in at least four states.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I wait for the occasional big weekly discounted cheese. This week I got two 2-pound blocks of cheese for $5 each, that's $2.50 a pound and about the best price that can be had in these parts. It rarely gets cheaper than that, and never below $2 per pound.

Where do you get that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living