Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times

Advertisements

I would do the usual dream things - like get whatever kind of car I wanted, buy a piece of land on a lovely lake - facing west - and build a cozy year round cabin - travel - It would be so very satisfying to be able to give large amounts of money to the things in my community that I already give to in a small way, The Library, Homeless Shelter, Senior Center an community theater. Hey I would be delighted to win even $1000!

Last edited by Newdaawn; 08-24-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 AM

239 posts, read 520,523 times
Well, our house is paid for and our old truck is, too. No bills other than the ones we pay monthly to live. We don't really need anything, so would just give enough to our daughters so they could buy a house. Would also give them enough so they could live off of the interest. They are very frugal, so they wouldn't need much. Then they could pursue their creative interests full time and not have to work so hard at soul sucking jobs.

I think we would just figure out where we would most like to live and sell this house and buy another small home. Nothing fancy or big since we really prefer small cottages. I'd like to keep the old truck since I'm kind of attached to it.

It would just be nice not to have to worry about being able to afford good medical care. Even with insurance it's a big expense. Also, not have to worry about out living our small nest egg. Not having to worry about that for us and our children would be the best thing.

Then since it's way more money than we need, we could work on giving an amount per year to various charities. One thing I would not want to do is waste money on buying stuff. I feel like we have everything we need and want already in regard to stuff. In fact, we have a bit more than we really need.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Pay all bills. And continue working. I like my job, maybe I would go part time. I have no desire to travel. Done it. I would, however, keep it quiet.

I wonder who would come out of the woodwork, asking me for money? I lead a simple life. My friends are true friends, I have only a few.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 44,620 times
After I pay off my debts (only about $35000) I would buy as many rental houses as I could, get professional property management, and live off the monthly income, which should be quite high.
Oh yeah, a new sports car! Maybe a Corvette? And build myself a nice house!

Oh well, it was a nice dream

Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM

26 posts, read 44,620 times
Forgot to mention that I would quit my job.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM

4,938 posts, read 3,313,142 times
Smile simple wishes

if I win.......

I would visit my best friend in Ohio
have my garden planted with lovely plants shrubs trees roses etc
buy some small items from my wish list
go to a health spa specializing in heart failure persons

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,490 times
I would invest the entire sum in high-quality common stock and live off the dividends. Then with the income, I would constantly travel - stay in nice hotels, eat great food, go out, and just do stuff. I'm less about material possessions and more about experiences.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Take a year off. Travel to a different location for an entire month and live there. Repeat until I have been gone for a year.

Then go back to working 50-60 hour weeks.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
I've been thinking about this thread and the "what if... rich" thread and decided that if I had the money I would pay off our bills, build us a nice house by the river, and use the rest to build a large activity center here in town for the kids.
I live in a small town/city and there is nothing for the kids to do downtown - except the middle and high school kids can now go to the Event Center for after school activities. The littlest ones have no place to go - indoors - where they can just run around and let off steam, or find some quiet activity they can do alone. My visions are big for this center - too big to write here.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Depends on how much i won.

First thing would probably set up a college fund for my neices and nephews.

Then, if it was a lot, like $50M or more, I'd do philanthropy, fund non-profit things here in Dayton (keep it local so I know what the $$$ is going to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living