Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I only skimmed through the thread. Whoever said that they would buy a Prius was probably being sarcastic.

No, I said it, and Id buy about 8 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Give each of my children a 'gift' of only $9,999 a year, so it can't be taxed or confiscated.

Hire an accountant.
Pay off the property, put in a new well, and probably buy more property to put more cattle on.
Put new wood flooring in the 100-year-old farmhouse where we live.
My needs are small.
Tax free gift is $13000 for 2011 tax year. :-)

Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Your last statement is because they weren't smart with money or smart in general in the first place. They all tend to blow it on low life friends, get into drugs and put in into "Icebergs in Alaska" deals.

Most of people actually blow money away on bad investment including real estate. Take Nicolas Cage for example. He's flat out broke if he doesn't continue to work. He bought lots of mega-million properties on mortgage but in the end, he can't afford neither the maintenance nor the upkeep.

Same goes with a lot of lottery winners. They buy "investment" like a auto repair shop or something but they seriously lack the management skill to make it work. It's easy to lose a few millions in bad "investment." Stocks, mutual funds, real estate, startup companies... the list can go on.

This is the big reason that I don't like bashing rich people. Investment carries enormous amount of risk. How many of the poor people would put up half of their savings and do an investment?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Two chicks at the same time.

After that, buy up most of the real estate in Baltimore and become Mayor. Travel is for the birds.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Two chicks at the same time.

After that, buy up most of the real estate in Baltimore and become Mayor. Travel is for the birds.
Poultry or human?

If you want either one, I don't think you need to spend more than a few thousands at the most. :-) Probably get far better satisfaction.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
buy an island like oprah had. I think i might have said that before....

Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Most of people actually blow money away on bad investment including real estate. Take Nicolas Cage for example. He's flat out broke if he doesn't continue to work. He bought lots of mega-million properties on mortgage but in the end, he can't afford neither the maintenance nor the upkeep.

Same goes with a lot of lottery winners. They buy "investment" like a auto repair shop or something but they seriously lack the management skill to make it work. It's easy to lose a few millions in bad "investment." Stocks, mutual funds, real estate, startup companies... the list can go on.

This is the big reason that I don't like bashing rich people. Investment carries enormous amount of risk. How many of the poor people would put up half of their savings and do an investment?
Multiple homes/cars are a killer... Cage has plenty of both! They eat money even when you aren't using them. Recurring charge businesses are nice investments and usually take less skill to own/operate but if you don't want to watch/ run it then don't buy it!

A 40mm net win earning 4% is still 1.6mm a year in income.... Don't overspend and you will be set for life with 1.6mm a year in income!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Tax free gift is $13000 for 2011 tax year. :-)
And if you are married 26k can be given total ( to each child, friend etc)

Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
How much? A million dollars won't go very far, even if its after taxes.
But if I had a very large lottery win, say upwards of 10 million dollars after taxes, I would:
Hire a lawyer and get some good financial planners for myself and my family members with whom I'd share. I guess its called a trust. There'd be no way anybody could blow through the money fast, it wouldn't be possible.
Wrong..... Ask Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, MC Hammer how fast it goes...the first two blew about 3/4 of a billion in earnings, the last one smoked through 30mm in about a year.

To put it in perspective:

Rent a jet (low end Citation CJ3) at 5k an hour and travel for a year. 200 hours of flight time is 1mm! That is 4 hours a week, a 2 hour round trip flight(each way). Who couldn't fly once a week to a new destination for a long weekend? Visit 50 cities in a year, heck that is less than a city per state. 1mm seems like a lot, but even in 2 hour increments the money flies out the door.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
It's fun to dream of what one would do with so much money and I guess that's what I do when spending a couple bucks each week on tickets. Mine would include making on going yearly gifts to my favorite charities and non-profits. I do that now but in small amounts. They include the local public library, the homeless shelter, The National Wildlife Federation and the National Parks Conservation association.

Home and cars are paid for so I would set up a travel schedule and see the places I have always dreamed of. Italy, Ireland, Greece and Alaska come to mind but others are inticing as well. A piece of land on a pristine lake with a lovely log home with stone fireplace and a dock out front where my canoe would be. Of course it must be facing "west" for us to enjoy the sunsets.

Of course much of it would also make my kids dreams come true.

You know if you make a "bucket" list, some of those things would be possible to do in our present circumstances on a more modest scale. Why wait, life is way too short! I should start planning that long awaited trip to Yellowstone. Lottery or no lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living