Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Whether or not they do, the point of me posting this was for awareness.
Using your CC for all your purchases and bill paying is a great way to manage your budget because you only have one itemized bill each month. I have been doing that for years while only keeping a small amount of cash in my wallet for those trival purchases and/or lunch out.

Being in Texas I don't need to worry about it except when it comes to my local government which does charge 2-3% "convenience fee" for CC payments.
Why not use a debit card though. All from the same account. Your own checking account. Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Why not use a debit card though. All from the same account. Your own checking account. Just wondering.
Because credit cards offer incentives--frequent flyer miles, cash back, etc. and very few debit cards do. There are also additional security levels on credit cards that don't exist on debit cards.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,039 times
I'm okay with it. The consumer is going to ultimately pay for the credit cards fees at the end of the day no matter what, either through a fee or through higher prices. At least this way I get to choose if I want to pay for the credit card fees or not. I try to use cash when I'm at a local business because I know how much those fees can add up for them. The only time I would take issue with this would be if the fee wasn't clearly stated somewhere in the store.

Some places have been charging the fee for years by raising their prices and offering a "discount" to use cash. I see this frequently at gas stations. I'm fairly certain I'm not really getting a discount, they are just charging the credit users more. It's all in how they market it.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because credit cards offer incentives--frequent flyer miles, cash back, etc. and very few debit cards do. There are also additional security levels on credit cards that don't exist on debit cards.
Didn't think of that. I have 1 cc with no "perks". Makes sense.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I'm okay with it. The consumer is going to ultimately pay for the credit cards fees at the end of the day no matter what, either through a fee or through higher prices. At least this way I get to choose if I want to pay for the credit card fees or not. I try to use cash when I'm at a local business because I know how much those fees can add up for them. The only time I would take issue with this would be if the fee wasn't clearly stated somewhere in the store.

Some places have been charging the fee for years by raising their prices and offering a "discount" to use cash. I see this frequently at gas stations. I'm fairly certain I'm not really getting a discount, they are just charging the credit users more. It's all in how they market it.
This is essentially how I feel as well.

I would rather 3% of the cost of my purchase go to a local business rather than VISA or MasterCard.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Y'all remember the song - One way, or another, they gonna get you...

I said it before and will repeat myself. USA is the only country - developed - in the world, where money are printed by private consortium. As a result, it owns the country.
WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?
ANd you can't even drop your cc, as you "must" have one for say car rentals. And they base FICO score on cc use.

Like I said - One way, or another, they gonna get you... Read Protocols.It's been said and is implemented.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For those folks who use their CC for all their purchases, be aware...

Credit card checkout fees go into effect 1/1/2013 in all but 10 states.
Retailers can charge up to 3% of the purchase price as a checkout fee and it will be tacked onto your bill.
Now, you're supposed to be made aware of this before you make your purchase.

This was finalized over the summer as part of a settlement against the big banks. Seems it was more a "win" for them than it was for us. Seems to me a $10 CC purchase is processed the same way a $1000 CC purchase would be yet the "checkout fee" is a percentage of the purchase... $.30 for the $10 purchase and $30 for the $1000 purchase.

Just a heads up for those frugal shoppers not in one of the 10 states where it's still prohibited.

Consumer Action :: Credit card checkout fees
A recent court settlement between retailers and the payments industry allows retailers to pass their credit card acceptance costs onto consumers in the form of a new fee. Not all merchants will charge this fee—it’s up to individual business owners. The settlement is expected to be final in the spring of 2013.
Checkout fees are illegal and, therefore, not allowed in 10 states.
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Kansas
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • New York
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
I'm disgusted , but it's good to know that the NEXT state I move to is on the same illegal list.

I won't name which, because I don't want a "flood" of folks following me.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Nothing new on the fee. It is being passed on to the consumer instead of the business retailer etc paying to the CC company.

When in business over 30 yrs ago I was charged a small fee by the CC company for every card that I excepted. Those days I had to phone in for an Authorization # while my sales were always in the $600-$1000 mark so I paid a penalty in order to do business.

Now days a LARGER firm will pay a smaller fee based upon the volume in CC purchases.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Nothing new on the fee. It is being passed on to the consumer instead of the business retailer etc paying to the CC company.
Exactly. That is why I am not surprised by this. Someone has to pay for the convenience of shopping with credit cards.

I actually sort of agree with it, because for small businesses, this might mean that more people will pay cash, and the business will not have to pay as many fees to VISA/MC/etc.. I would rather see more money in the pockets of independent business owners than in the pockets of the huge corporations of VISA/MC/etc. YMMV

Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Wow, thanks for posting. I wasn't aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living