Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,179,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Actually, this did happen to us a few yrs. ago and we went back to the guest house we were staying in & gave them a check for an additional 3 nights & I always keep extra money on hand for food.
Most hotels won't take a check. What would you have done if they had no rooms available for you at the guest house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM

26,148 posts, read 19,093,272 times
I see this charge now and again around here--especially at gas stations. I largely use cash only, these days. This fee is just one of about 100 reasons for me to do so.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,691,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I see this charge now and again around here--especially at gas stations. I largely use cash only, these days. This fee is just one of about 100 reasons for me to do so.
It pays to ask about cash. Even processing checks for some places have an added fee so they can have that instant clearing of the check.

I saved $30 by giving the dentist cash vs a check and it didn't matter the amount..it was a $30 processing fee because they use one of those check processing companies rather than just deposit the check into their bank account each day.

I didn't realize that was going on. So I took back my check and told the receptionist that I was going to the bank and would be back in 1/2 hour with cash.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,336,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This was finalized over the summer as part of a settlement against the big banks. Seems it was more a "win" for them than it was for us. Seems to me a $10 CC purchase is processed the same way a $1000 CC purchase would be yet the "checkout fee" is a percentage of the purchase... $.30 for the $10 purchase and $30 for the $1000 purchase.
That's because credit card vendors charge retailers for the service the same way.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM

5,614 posts, read 6,560,682 times
When I was in Michigan, I saw that gas stations charged one price for cash, and .10 cents or more MORE for credit card payment. I said "BS" and refused to buy at one of these stations. Of course, the station I bought at, that had one price for cash or credit, cost more, but it was the principle. EVERYONE HAS THEIR HAND OUT FOR OUR HARD EARNED MONEY. Fees are part of doing business, businesses "write off" their business costs, or at least they used to. What happened to that, did the government change the laws for business owners? God knows, the government has changed everything else that was beneficial to the public, now it is all geared toward spending, spending, spending on pork.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 01-03-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,953,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
When I was in Michigan, I saw that gas stations charged one price for cash, and .10 cents or more MORE for credit card payment. I said "BS" and refused to buy at one of these stations. Of course, the station I bought at, that had one price for cash or credit, cost more, but it was the principle. EVERYONE HAS THEIR HAND OUT FOR OUR HARD EARNED MONEY. Fees are part of doing business, businesses "write off" their business costs, or at least they used to. What happened to that, did the government change the laws for business owners? God knows, the government has changed everything else that was beneficial to the public, now it is all geared toward spending, spending, spending on pork.
Not sure from your post if you were a credit card purchaser of gasoline all along, although it does sound like it. In either case I think your irritation is misplaced. Why shouldn't the merchant pass savings which they accrue back to the customer? The merchant has costs associated with credit card sales which he doesn't have with cash sales. Why not give the cash customer a break? It makes perfect sense to me.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Most of the major gas station chains offered cash discounts in the early- to mid- 1980s. Seems like it was usually 4 cents a gallon.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,722,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I don't need to be spending money I don't anyways. Cash (debit card) or not getting it.
You do realize that many people pay for things with a credit card who do have the money. They charge things and pay their bills in full every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because credit cards offer incentives--frequent flyer miles, cash back, etc. and very few debit cards do. There are also additional security levels on credit cards that don't exist on debit cards.
Yep. I rack up tens of thousands of Hilton and Marriott points per year from personal CC use (on top of all of the additional points using them for business travel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
The whole plastic thing was supposed to make it easier to spend and keep money moving. It irks me no end that I have to pay someone to access my money.
So...it "irks you" that you have to pay someone for providing a service?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
The whole plastic thing was supposed to make it easier to spend and keep money moving. It irks me no end that I have to pay someone to access my money.
You're already paying it. The difference is that now the cost is buried in the price of the product and everybody pays it regardless of what method of payment is used. If the retailer can tack on a fee for card use then the cost of using cards is paid only by those who use them. Sounds completely fair to me.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 AM

3 posts, read 15,204 times
This is really very scaring that credit card checkout fees starting.I usually used my credit card which i take from Axis bank for purchase and i don't aware of this check out fees.Thank you so much for sharing this information with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living