Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
A puppy?
Yeah that was my first thought. He's not really a puppy anymore, 3 years old actually, and he's not really "low cost" though considering the fancy food he eats but if you leave it down, he'll "shred" it for ya.

My 15 year old seems to want to try the method suggested in the OP since he likes to leave all important school documents that need my signature in his pants pockets in the dirty laundry hamper!

Seriously, shredders are all over the thrift shops, usually for $5 to $10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
We just take the papers to work and put them in the secure shred container.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Our County has Shred-A-Thons. Bring you shred to the parking lot of Fed Myers on a particular day and they take it and shred it for you, plus you get special coupons to the store. Two months later it’s in the parking lot of Target with a RX destruction included. A couple months later it's at the new Dunkin Doughnuts with a free coffee.... So long as you’re a resident of the County, it's free. Usually it’s sponsored by a local business that holds it for the free advertising and some extra business they pick up. Many have extras such as Target pharmacy and the RX turn in. When the computer store had it, they also took in digital media for destruction and would fully destroy hard drives for you.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
OK, I'm going to be real radical here, and suggest you buy a paper shredder. They aren't that expensive. And they can get rid of paper you don't want around if an intruder walks in to your house. It is a privacy and safety issue.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
I tear off the top corner that has the name/address,etc and throw it in the garbage and the rest in the recycling.
I've done my civic/enviromental duty and have a hard time believing anybody is going to go to the landfill and rummage through millions of pounds of plastic bagged coffee grounds and chicken bones and moldy apple cores to find a crumpled up 2 inch piece of paper.
If it wasn't for believing in recycling, I'd throw it all in the garbage...and do that with cut up credit cards and things like that.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,600 times
My local Credit Union will do free shredding service every now and then for free. Downside is, lots of people show up for that service whether they are members or not.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Imma get a goat. Shredding, grasscutting, and milk.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
A great idea here. //www.city-data.com/forum/16095133-post10.html

Tie the paper in a pillow case and wash it with your dark clothing. It pretty much makes most paper documents unreadable.

Matches

Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,895 times
Just bougt a paper shredder head that wll shred 6 sheets at a time for $12.97, I think in the long run that will be cheaper than the washing machine method especially when you end up clogging the machine up.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Uh, how about a burn bucket in the backyard? Yes, you would have to buy a box of matches......
That is illegal in my community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
how about tearing the important stuff up small?
Tearing or cutting by hand is very tedious if you have very much to do. I end up with a couple of wastebaskets full each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So you go to all that trouble and in the end you will still have some intact documents that won't be destroyed. Doesn't seem like that great of an idea to me.

Paper shredders are inexpensive and don't use much electricity. When you factor in the additional loads of laundry you will have to do over the course of a year because of the regular clothing that will be displaced by the bag-o-documents plus the potential for damage to the machine that has already been mentioned I don't see where you'd be saving anything.

And, as has also been mentioned, matches are really cheap.
I have owned two paper shredders, both broke down after a short period of time, they were a waste of money for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Just bougt a paper shredder head that wll shred 6 sheets at a time for $12.97, I think in the long run that will be cheaper than the washing machine method especially when you end up clogging the machine up.
Any shreeder you can buy for $12.97 isn't going to last very long.

There is no reason this will clog up a washing machine if you tie the pillowcase closed securely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living