Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Obviously one must have a situation where they can replace the DIY time with extra work hours.
My guess is that most DIYers do projects in 'spare' unpaid time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
I kind of have the same thing. Am hourly and get 1.5x on sat and 2x time on sunday. I always do stuff myself but sometimes it seems like its better to pay people and work overtime. Lol and my work always has overtime availible. In fact makes it mandatory.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
this is why I don't spend hours trying to save 5 dollars on a 20 dollar item online... easier money and less thinking to just go to work and work overtime than try to be overly frugal, clipping coupons and saving 50 cents on this and that. I live cheap and rent, eat what I want, and don't have any money issues.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
this is why I don't spend hours trying to save 5 dollars on a 20 dollar item online... easier money and less thinking to just go to work and work overtime than try to be overly frugal, clipping coupons and saving 50 cents on this and that. I live cheap and rent, eat what I want, and don't have any money issues.
Not everyone wants to work 6 or 7 days a week of OT to pay for the car repair. They would rather do it theirselves and be at home. Not at work around idiots.

Being able to do stuff yourself is really a gratification feeling that can't be beat.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think you need to factor in the enjoyment factor -- do you enjoy putting in windows? Do you enjoy the process of fixing whatever it is? Some people do. I get a lot of pleasure out of a job done.

If you don't -- pay someone else.
Exactly. If you don't like doing these type of things then of course you won't be wanting to spend a weekend "putting in a window". Pay for it if you can.

I enjoy these things also. I've never put in a window. Sounds interesting, I would love to learn how.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Exactly. If you don't like doing these type of things then of course you won't be wanting to spend a weekend "putting in a window". Pay for it if you can.

I enjoy these things also. I've never put in a window. Sounds interesting, I would love to learn how.
If it's a newer vinyl window, you take the glazing strips off and then cut the caulk line or tape around the outside. Take it to your favorite window rebuilder, they'll measure and order a new IGU that you drop in a week later.

Easier when it's not a 31x62 half circle 20 feet up in the air.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 AM

176 posts, read 584,027 times
Besides the money, it is also going to take time to shop for services. And how do you know he knows what he is doing? And what if you have an unsatisfactory experience with him?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
It depends on the job and equipment required. Exame a coolant flush... I can do it its easy just time consuming and messy, not really gratifying. I'd rather pay $120 for some guy to knock out and do a better job with the right tools in 1 hour not get to messy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It's great when you can get lots of overtime, just don't get used to it. My husband had a job where he got at least 20 hours of overtime a week. We got used to having that money, then his company decided to hire some new guys and cut back on the overtime. Now he's lucky if he gets an hour or two a week of overtime.

I fix everything I can myself, and we save the extra money for the repairs that I can't do. I've repaired my fridge, washer, air conditioner, toilets, computers and I work on our cars when they need it. I don't do repairs that involve welding, or that require me to get under the car. I enjoy fixing things though.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's great when you can get lots of overtime, just don't get used to it. My husband had a job where he got at least 20 hours of overtime a week. We got used to having that money, then his company decided to hire some new guys and cut back on the overtime. Now he's lucky if he gets an hour or two a week of overtime.

I fix everything I can myself, and we save the extra money for the repairs that I can't do. I've repaired my fridge, washer, air conditioner, toilets, computers and I work on our cars when they need it. I don't do repairs that involve welding, or that require me to get under the car. I enjoy fixing things though.
Good for you, Hedgehog Mom! It's nice to hear of women DIYers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living