Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Here's an example, I need two windows replaced, $700 was the lowest quote (they are IGUs). I figure roughly at least an entire day on my end to get them out, bring them into the place to measure/have made etc and reinstall when they come in. Price for them was $410. So only a $300 savings to blow a whole day on something. I could pick up up a days OT and pocket around $600 after taxes, so I guess what I'm looking at is I'm money ahead working and paying someone else to fix my stuff.

Same with painting, it would take several days minimum to paint our house, or I could work 2 days of over time and pay for it outright and not ever have to look at a paintbrush.

Another example, took me 5 days to replace my transmission (3 the first time, screwed up the RMS install, then 2 the second time). 4 days of overtime would pay $3000. Shop cost was $1000. Again I'm money and time ahead paying someone to do it.

I value my time off like gold so blowing a whole day to save a couple hundred when I could work and make 2x as much doesn't compute. Also I do like my job, very fortunate in that regard.

That's fine, but whatever your job is seems to be an exception. Normally people can't just choose to work on their days off (for example, there is no way I could work on the weekend, my company would not be willing to pay me for it because there is no need for it) so this doesn't seem to be practical "advice" for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
when I was young in my career... age 15 - 24, I worked PT jobs and overtime and filled my tool chest with all kinds of stuff I am still using 40+ yrs later.

When I was more 'seasoned' in my career, and making more in OT than my regular pay, I selectively paid to have stuff done.

When I retired... I still have a toolbox full of handy stuff, as well as a full machine, welding, automotive, and woodworking shop.

I can STILL get very good pay for PT work, so I still selectively pay to have stuff done that others are faster, better at, or I just don't want to do.

I have been sending out lots of work to a friend who is younger and does an excellent job, enjoys the work and needs the money. I am glad I have a few people like that to use. Someday I will be too old to do any of it. (But I will never be so rich to pay for ALL of it... since I still drive a $35 car that uses free fryer grease for fuel... for last million miles / 35 yrs)

I HAVE bought several vintage bikes this yr, that essentially allowed someone else do the restoration. (I must be getting old...)

Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
I've seen frugality gone bad... a few instances and to the OP, and others who are like him/her, I highly recommend you consider the following:
1) your time is indeed worth money, and in the case of having family, it is worth more than money to your spouse and children.
2) there's a significant cost to doing everything DIY beyond that which has been mentioned... if you are unable to finish a project in a timely fashion you may cause undue suffering by those living with the continual construction and/or unfinished projects.

Overall, DIY can be money-saving, but I've seen almost autistic-like obsession/attention to detail by frugal people who need to do everything themselves to be satisfied at the expense of their entire family. I've seen a tiny house for a 6 person family under expansion-construction for 10 years only to finally be finished with 2 of the children at college age and the spouse dying a year later (so much for her enjoyment of the fruits of the labor!). I've seen a husband who was such a tight-wad that he lost his wife and kids in divorce after being married 15 years, and I've seen a mother who insisted upon spending so little for food that her children were eating all processed/unhealthy meals meanwhile she wondered why she was tired all the time!

I guess I'm a bit opinionated on this subject ;-)

Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
DH used to be a fanatic DIY, but he doesn't feel the need to do so now that he is older. He is much more willing to pay to have the job done now. I think he values his time more, and also, doesn't feel the same urge to do it himself as he did.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
I've always been a big DIY'er. From working on cars to now around the house. We are at the point now where it seems I am losing money by doing so. By losing money I mean, I am paid hourly and get 150% my hourly rate for working on days off. I am money ahead if I work on a day off and pay people to do the work for me. Plus my job is a lot easier on my body than say swapping a transmission or painting a bedroom.

It's hard letting go because it's been so ingrained into my head to always do stuff myself. Plus I have this feeling "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself" really is true, people just don't take the time to do good jobs these days, and you end up having to fix their mistakes.

This is a good position to be in for sure, just curious if others are at that point too, and went through the same realization.
Yeah and no - I also make a lot more than a mechanic or handyman, but usually don't have much paying overtime available.

But - for simple maintenance like an oil change - we live out in the country, I can DIY and do other things around the house or relax while the oil is draining and the car is cooling off. If I went somewhere to have it done, I would have to hang around while the grease monkey does his thing, so it actually would cost me more time to not DIY. And, the only way I am going to get the job done right by a responsible adult is to use the guy in the mirror.

For more critical repairs, my cars are old, I know them very well, and I don't know any good pro mechanic who is local that I think would do as well - and then the country effect kicks in again - I have to jockey the car into the shop, assuming it will run well enough to do the trip, or pay for a tow, then catch a ride back in when it's done.

Now, for something like replacing carpets, if I can find a good contractor, I'm quite OK with letting them do it.

Overall I do take your point about "making wage" in the DIY jobs I choose to take on - it has to be something I am good at, like doing, and would cost at least order of magnitude the same as my wage X the time to do the DIY job.

But at the end of the day, for me, it's not entirely an economic decision.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Here's an example, I need two windows replaced, $700 was the lowest quote (they are IGUs). I figure roughly at least an entire day on my end to get them out, bring them into the place to measure/have made etc and reinstall when they come in. Price for them was $410. So only a $300 savings to blow a whole day on something. I could pick up up a days OT and pocket around $600 after taxes, so I guess what I'm looking at is I'm money ahead working and paying someone else to fix my stuff.

Same with painting, it would take several days minimum to paint our house, or I could work 2 days of over time and pay for it outright and not ever have to look at a paintbrush.

Another example, took me 5 days to replace my transmission (3 the first time, screwed up the RMS install, then 2 the second time). 4 days of overtime would pay $3000. Shop cost was $1000. Again I'm money and time ahead paying someone to do it.

I value my time off like gold so blowing a whole day to save a couple hundred when I could work and make 2x as much doesn't compute. Also I do like my job, very fortunate in that regard.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. If it's a job you would rather not do and would rather fly instead, and you have hours available, Bob's your uncle.

BTW, depending, the lowest of 3 bidders is not necessarily the best deal - I typically get at least 3 bids and while I look carefully at the work of both the low bidder and high bidder, generally I find the guy in the middle is the best *value*.

Another point is if the job takes special equipment to do or do in a timely manner - stuff like a lift truck that you probably don't want to own, can't find for rental, and don't really know how to use anyway.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,093 times
It depends on the work. If I can do it and if I have the tools. After a quick calculation, I would make a decision to contract it out or do it myself.

For examples:

A small part was broken in my washer, was going to cost $150 or 15 mins of my time to do it myself. Afrer looking at youtube and did it myself. I got a $400 quote to put down laminated floors for my bedroom. Looked at youtube videos again and figure I can do that myself and finished it in a day. Needed to cut down 5 huge, tall pine trees...Got a crew to quote me $850 or so...yeah, good luck to me cutting down pine trees....LOL, I hired the crew.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 AM

325 posts, read 486,578 times
DIY is overrated IMO. I think if you truly enjoy whatever it is you're DIY, then by all means. But some tasks are just PITA and if you're new to it you may not do as good of a job as a professional.

If I enjoy the job I will go DIY, but otherwise, unless it's a simple job I'll hire someone.

Life is short, folks.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
DIY is overrated IMO. ...some tasks are just PITA ...Life is short, folks.
CV joints fall into the PITA for me, tho I end up doing many (usually when I find a bad one on a Sat afternoon or Sunday)

I keep a spare set of rebuilt axles ($70, vs 2 hrs to re-pack / boot) around for each of my 'platforms' (Rabbits, A2 Jetta/golf, B4Passats). IF I don't want to get messy (or am in a hurry) I can swap out the axle and do the joint later (Or Pay $30 for labor for someone else to repack and reboot).

I DON"T work on any cars that are from the Rust Belt (Midwest). The engines get pulled for donors and the bodies get smashed for recycle.

And YES, life is getting SO SHORT that I am now considering whether I will live long enough to complete and enjoy my DIY projects. If not... there will be a LARGE auction in the future. (not in MY future).

Since I am restoring several vintage motorcycles lately, my time is even SHORTER. (What a way to go...)

I do want to make a 'vintage' / antique truck using one of my Cummins 4x4 chassis. Just today I switched to start looking for swaps that some else has nearly completed. "...Life is short, folks"

EZ DIY 'savers' that I commonly take on... Brakes (1hr vs $100), Tires (5 min vs $10) (I have my own tire machine and balancer), Suspension (2 hr vs $100) (I upgrade to Bilstein LIFETIME, so only do once / car), Head gaskets (4hr vs $500) (common with my era, but I use replacement headbolts (Tooling quality), so again; ONCE / car)); Engine and tranny swaps <8hrs, occasional paint job ($200 + 20 hrs vs. $2000). Bearings, alternators, belts (<1hr). Water pumps and timing belts (< 4 hrs vs $500).

I love welding and fabrication (ex-farm kid), so I do that for myself and others and frequently TRADE services. We have a great rural neighborhood that trades LOTS of commerce / projects. Some neighbors have some great equipment to speed jobs, so we swap lots of services.

I will stay well tooled and skilled for potential Barter Economy. Working for wage Dollars that are heavily taxed does not look good for the future.

I will always drive vintage / beaters, so I best stay in shape for DIY. But as mentioned... many projects will outlive me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living