Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times

Advertisements

I've always been a big DIY'er. From working on cars to now around the house. We are at the point now where it seems I am losing money by doing so. By losing money I mean, I am paid hourly and get 150% my hourly rate for working on days off. I am money ahead if I work on a day off and pay people to do the work for me. Plus my job is a lot easier on my body than say swapping a transmission or painting a bedroom.

It's hard letting go because it's been so ingrained into my head to always do stuff myself. Plus I have this feeling "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself" really is true, people just don't take the time to do good jobs these days, and you end up having to fix their mistakes.

This is a good position to be in for sure, just curious if others are at that point too, and went through the same realization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Like anything you have to look at the whole picture. It can cost more to DIY if you would have to buy expensive tools and supplies, take a lot of time off work.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,277,628 times
At some point it just makes sense to pay someone else to do the job. I mean if your local shop charges $100/hr labor rate and they can do X job for $500 and your making $100/hr also that is only 5 hours (before taxes). Not even a full day of work for you to cover it. No getting dirty or taking your spare time on the weekends or buying parts.

Now for me I make $13.20 an hour. That is over 37 hours just to cover that cost. That isn't going to happen. I already work in a warehouse. If possible ill definitely be getting my hands dirty over a weekend and fixing it myself. It would be stupid not too.

I agree on the front that the quality isn't there. It seems all companies now are trying to swindle the consumer. That's just something you have to consider if you wat to DIY it or pay someone else.

Of course though if you enjoy painting a room you can still do it even if your making 3x what the labor would be to paint a room. Plenty of people have hobbies and still DIY.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've always been a big DIY'er. From working on cars to now around the house. We are at the point now where it seems I am losing money by doing so. By losing money I mean, I am paid hourly and get 150% my hourly rate for working on days off. I am money ahead if I work on a day off and pay people to do the work for me. Plus my job is a lot easier on my body than say swapping a transmission or painting a bedroom.

It's hard letting go because it's been so ingrained into my head to always do stuff myself. Plus I have this feeling "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself" really is true, people just don't take the time to do good jobs these days, and you end up having to fix their mistakes.

This is a good position to be in for sure, just curious if others are at that point too, and went through the same realization.
its funny, people often like to factor in the time you spent to save some money as if it costs your hourly rate. but for myself (and i believe most people) its not like i can just add hours i get paid for or choose to save money doing something myself. in your case, that time seems to be something you can factor in. of course, some people enjoy doing stuff and hate working at their job so there are other things to consider.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny, people often like to factor in the time you spent to save some money as if it costs your hourly rate. but for myself (and i believe most people) its not like i can just add hours i get paid for or choose to save money doing something myself. in your case, that time seems to be something you can factor in. of course, some people enjoy doing stuff and hate working at their job so there are other things to consider.
Here's an example, I need two windows replaced, $700 was the lowest quote (they are IGUs). I figure roughly at least an entire day on my end to get them out, bring them into the place to measure/have made etc and reinstall when they come in. Price for them was $410. So only a $300 savings to blow a whole day on something. I could pick up up a days OT and pocket around $600 after taxes, so I guess what I'm looking at is I'm money ahead working and paying someone else to fix my stuff.

Same with painting, it would take several days minimum to paint our house, or I could work 2 days of over time and pay for it outright and not ever have to look at a paintbrush.

Another example, took me 5 days to replace my transmission (3 the first time, screwed up the RMS install, then 2 the second time). 4 days of overtime would pay $3000. Shop cost was $1000. Again I'm money and time ahead paying someone to do it.

I value my time off like gold so blowing a whole day to save a couple hundred when I could work and make 2x as much doesn't compute. Also I do like my job, very fortunate in that regard.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 AM

33 posts, read 122,360 times
You have to factor in priorities and the fact that the job may not get completed if you DIY. When I was going to school I paid someone to build a privacy fence. I knew I woudnt have time to complete it. I had priorities.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,277,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Here's an example, I need two windows replaced, $700 was the lowest quote (they are IGUs). I figure roughly at least an entire day on my end to get them out, bring them into the place to measure/have made etc and reinstall when they come in. Price for them was $410. So only a $300 savings to blow a whole day on something. I could pick up up a days OT and pocket around $600 after taxes, so I guess what I'm looking at is I'm money ahead working and paying someone else to fix my stuff.

Same with painting, it would take several days minimum to paint our house, or I could work 2 days of over time and pay for it outright and not ever have to look at a paintbrush.

Another example, took me 5 days to replace my transmission (3 the first time, screwed up the RMS install, then 2 the second time). 4 days of overtime would pay $3000. Shop cost was $1000. Again I'm money and time ahead paying someone to do it.

I value my time off like gold so blowing a whole day to save a couple hundred when I could work and make 2x as much doesn't compute. Also I do like my job, very fortunate in that regard.
In your case it makes sense to pay someone. Assuming you can get OT when you want. If they only offer it once a month it still might be better to DIY.

Also you have to like your job. I'm nuetral about my job. I just don't like "working". Ill easily take my weekend painting a house than being at work any time I can. I can paint on my own time and do as I please. Not at working where I'm told what to do. That is me though.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
I think you need to factor in the enjoyment factor -- do you enjoy putting in windows? Do you enjoy the process of fixing whatever it is? Some people do. I get a lot of pleasure out of a job done.

If you don't -- pay someone else.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,138,600 times
It depends on the situation.

A year ago I had nearly limitless overtime (literally only restricted by my need for sleep)
I paid to have many things done.

This year I make more per hour, but work much less... I do more for myself.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 AM

90 posts, read 312,085 times
We're starting to think like you. We need to have a block wall fence done. My husband said he'd do it himself to save some money. I asked him to get some quotes to find out how much it would cost to have it done professionally. The cost was equal to three days of overtime for him. So I asked him if he'd rather spend his three days off buying supplies and hauling massive bricks, or three extra days sitting at his desk. He's choosing his desk. Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living