Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

I add a spoon or so of hot chocolate mix and some coconut syrup to the carafe when making drip coffee. Also, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon on the grounds is nice.

In the fall/winter, it's percolated coffee all the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
My daughter gave us a Keurig and one of the first things I bought was a refillable K cup. I got two of them from Amazon along with a good-sized bag of loose-leaf peppermint tea in the set. They work well.
How's that working out. I have read mixed reviews on using them. Some people say they get clogged up and spill coffee and grinds all over. I would like a Keurig, but do not want to pay $.50 cents for each small cup of coffee. There are two of us, and between both of us, I would assume we would go through 4-6 cups a day, so spending $3.00 a day for coffee is out of the question for me.

How easy is it to take them out and wash them after each use?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
How's that working out. I have read mixed reviews on using them. Some people say they get clogged up and spill coffee and grinds all over. I would like a Keurig, but do not want to pay $.50 cents for each small cup of coffee. There are two of us, and between both of us, I would assume we would go through 4-6 cups a day, so spending $3.00 a day for coffee is out of the question for me.

So far I haven't had them leak and/or spill coffee and grinds everywhere. I bought this set from Amazon and they both have worked great. I do like them.

Taking them out is easy, just like the actual K cups. Cleaning - I bang the bottom of the refillable cup on the side of the trash can and the grounds dump out. Then I rinse and they're good to go. Sometimes I've inadvertently let them dry out some and the grounds come out a little easier.

If you go through 4-6 cups a day consistently, perhaps a thermal coffeemaker might be a better option for you? Something like this one? Mine keeps the coffee hot for about 5 or 6 hours and warm for a couple of hours after that without that burned taste.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I don't drink as much coffee as I used to but I buy what I like. There are a couple types at TJ's that are good, a Kona from Cost Plus that I like, and my standby whenever I have a store credit or cash reward is Folgers Black Silk. Did that at CVS not long ago and I'm still working off that tub of coffee. Now that it's summer I brew my 4 cupper and with my reusable plastic cup/lid/straw make iced coffee (big ol' cup of ice, coffee, and some almond milk) to take to work. I can usually get a small cup of hot coffee the morning I brew it, and 2 days worth of iced coffees out of that.

I also know some Starbucks employees who sometimes bring me a bag because they get them as a perk apparently.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I buy coffee at World Market on Wednesdays. If you're a member of the "Explorer Club" you get a free bag of coffee every time you buy ten bags. But on Wednesday's you get credit for two bags when you buy one. So for every 5 bags of coffee you get a free bag. I don't know how that works out re: price per cup, but it's good coffee and keeps me out of Starbucks.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I buy coffee at World Market on Wednesdays. If you're a member of the "Explorer Club" you get a free bag of coffee every time you buy ten bags. But on Wednesday's you get credit for two bags when you buy one. So for every 5 bags of coffee you get a free bag. I don't know how that works out re: price per cup, but it's good coffee and keeps me out of Starbucks.
Oh wow, I didn't know World Market had coffee! I'll have to check this out - thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
I go with Melita or Bustelo. I treated myself to a bag of Starbucks this week though, it smelled too heavenly.

But seriously, I LOVE Bustelo.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM

506 posts, read 958,005 times
On the go when I'm on the road and need a cheap coffee fix. I love the AMPM and 7 Eleven coffee sections. For gas station coffee, they offer a good verity of blends, and plenty of flavored creamers. The prices are great and for a 16 oz (1.36 something) that I normally get it's great! Much cheaper than Starbucks or any franchise coffee place.

Last edited by Zara Ray; 07-24-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

we tried the refillble k-cups and no comparison to the actual ones. they are not as good. the water path is not the same and i can tell even using the same coffee which is which every time.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM

302 posts, read 499,440 times
We have a 12 cup pot, that we make 8 cups of decaf daily and a 4 cup pot that we use twice to make a total of 8 cups regular coffee. Found that having son wait for me to finish my coffee was taking too long, so we are ordering a new double coffee maker that has 2 12 cup pots. My cup takes 2 cups from the pot in one cup, so the 4 cups gives me 2 cups of coffee. Hubby's cup holds 4 cups of coffee from the pot, so the 8 cups is 2 for him. Son drinks his iced in a tall glass, so the 4 cups is 1 glass for him.

We use chocolate syrup in our coffee. Mainly, I hate the taste of coffee, but I drink it for other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living