Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,427 times

Advertisements

On work days I require a cup at home and fill up the 30 ounce travel mug.

Whatever is on sale, when I am out, it's $1.25 at 7-11 and sometimes I splurge for the $6.99 a pound dark roast at the little ethnic market at the corner.

Wish I didn't spend so much but I simply cannot live without it. At least when I am drinking the crummy low end store brand, I drink less of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,597 times
I do have a Keurig, and I typically only have one cup of coffee at home, in the morning. So even though the cost per cup is high, I am saving money by not wasting a whole pot or half pot of coffee. I also value the ability to have hot-caffeine-on-demand, within seconds, especially when I get paged for a work emergency at 3 am.

I usually can find boxes of K-cups at TJ Maxx or Marshalls for about $7 (rather than $12+ at the grocery store) and sometimes I can find good prices on Amazon. too.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I do have a Keurig, and I typically only have one cup of coffee at home, in the morning. So even though the cost per cup is high, I am saving money by not wasting a whole pot or half pot of coffee. I also value the ability to have hot-caffeine-on-demand, within seconds, especially when I get paged for a work emergency at 3 am.

I usually can find boxes of K-cups at TJ Maxx or Marshalls for about $7 (rather than $12+ at the grocery store) and sometimes I can find good prices on Amazon. too.
About the best you can do on a Keurig pods is $0.40-0.45 if you shop around. Some of the best deals come in the Brad's Deal newsletters.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,048 times
Instant! It's actually really good... cheap, easy and quick, and no special equipment needed. Certain brands are my favorite. I make it with hot milk so it's like a Cafe au Lait.. Just warm the milk in a pan, add it to the coffee with honey & that's it. Small jars of instant espresso are usually around $3.50, larger jars of coffee around $6. And I often find coupons or get it when it's on sale so it's even cheaper. Haven't done the math to see what each cup of coffee is, but it's probably around 30 cents.
Also.. the brands I buy are never bitter or taste like burned dirt, like so much other coffee does.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Such good info. I actually got some coffee at Jack In The Box recently, and it was amazingly good!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM

302 posts, read 499,864 times
Very soon, I think I will be going really frugal with coffee. I think I will be going back to hot tea instead.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
So far I haven't had them leak and/or spill coffee and grinds everywhere. I bought this set from Amazon and they both have worked great. I do like them.

Taking them out is easy, just like the actual K cups. Cleaning - I bang the bottom of the refillable cup on the side of the trash can and the grounds dump out. Then I rinse and they're good to go. Sometimes I've inadvertently let them dry out some and the grounds come out a little easier.

If you go through 4-6 cups a day consistently, perhaps a thermal coffeemaker might be a better option for you? Something like this one? Mine keeps the coffee hot for about 5 or 6 hours and warm for a couple of hours after that without that burned taste.
This set really works awesome. I have one at work (we only have a keurig), and keep a canister of coffee in my cabinet. I had bought the screw-top my KCUP and it worked AWFUL. I got something similar to what you posted, and it's been going strong for about 3 months now. The coffee doesn't taste weak, and I like that I can put my own grind in.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
Well... I wouldn't say I'm frugal on my coffee but we don't drink a ton of it. About 4.5 cups a day at $12/pound is about $1/day for 2 of us.

Might as well put in a plug
http://www.vermontcoffeecompany.com/...de_coffee.html

Old 08-02-2013, 03:06 PM

31 posts, read 75,388 times
I flirt with an employee at a local roaster. He hooks me up

Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughandlove View Post
I flirt with an employee at a local roaster. He hooks me up
LOL! Now that's what I'm talking about :-) Coffee with an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living